PDA

View Full Version : 14yr old moving school from Thailand to England

SteveD
7th Nov 2006, 02:24
Hi All,
My wife just went to her daughters school to say that she was moving to England so wouldn't be going any more. There ensued a conversation where the teacher said that when students go to England the parents have to go to Bangkok to get some 'papers' of some sort. I'm not sure if these are to show to the school in the UK or whether it just proves that she was at school in Thailand up to the age of 14 (& how well she did etc.) Who knows? My wife's English is not up to a detailed description of what he said (not down the phone anyway).
I'm not sure if this process was for the benefit of the Thai system or for the school in the UK. I think he gave her a rather hard time about it all and worried her needlessly.
I already have her school report translated into English to provide to the school over here but I don't 'need' that over here.
Has anyone heard of/done anything like this?
Thanks.
Steve

SteveD
7th Nov 2006, 02:24
Hi All,
My wife just went to her daughters school to say that she was moving to England so wouldn't be going any more. There ensued a conversation where the teacher said that when students go to England the parents have to go to Bangkok to get some 'papers' of some sort. I'm not sure if these are to show to the school in the UK or whether it just proves that she was at school in Thailand up to the age of 14 (& how well she did etc.) Who knows? My wife's English is not up to a detailed description of what he said (not down the phone anyway).
I'm not sure if this process was for the benefit of the Thai system or for the school in the UK. I think he gave her a rather hard time about it all and worried her needlessly.
I already have her school report translated into English to provide to the school over here but I don't 'need' that over here.
Has anyone heard of/done anything like this?
Thanks.
Steve

Skippy
7th Nov 2006, 04:09
Steve D

You know what the Thais are like for paperwork and officialdom. And what they are also like about jumping to conclusions and confusing things - VISA's , moving to the UK. as the saying goes everyone has an opinion etc etc

So don't worry too much

Basically all we did was get an offer of a place from the local school - Primary School in our case.

Anyway we used this paperwork in the Visa Application as well.

Then we went to the Thai school and they have transfer form / standard letter that they send to next school - a sort of introduction of the student to the head teacher etc etc.
We took that from them - when we got the UK we asked if they needed that letter and they said "no" that they will do their own assesment.

so take the form in your stride just like when you do a Visa run
( play the game as the Thais want it to be played)

It has something to do with the fact if you don't transfer off the roll you are considered a truant and get the school in trouble or something like that.

Good Luck - feel free to PM if you need anything else

-Skippy

SteveD
7th Nov 2006, 04:31
Thanks Skippy. That's pretty much what I was thinking.
I thought it may be to do with getting them off the roll (although why someone should be expected to go to Bangkok to do that...!).
I wasn't too worried about it but the wife was/is.
Cheers.
Steve

Skippy
7th Nov 2006, 04:40
No worries we didn't go to Bangkok - did it all at the School in Issan

good luck

- Skippy

Tony & Apple
7th Nov 2006, 04:51
There ensued a conversation where the teacher said that when students go to England the parents have to go to Bangkok to get some 'papers' of some sort.

yes a visa but nothing what so ever to do with the school
:)

SteveD
7th Nov 2006, 07:14
My wife did say everyone in the room seemed to be listening to her accept the boss! I think he was directing her toward the ministry of Education in Bangkok (or whatever the equivalent is). It seems he was the only one who thought that going to England for an education might be a bad idea.
Anyway, she's well briefed to be able to give him chapter & verse about English schools next time.
Steve