PDA

View Full Version : What to do after the visa is granted

Mark W
25th Oct 2004, 12:54
Following on from a thread earlier today I thought I would try to compile a check list about things to do after your partner has arrived in the UK. Hopefully it can be put to the top of a forum similar to the one JimJum posted about the visa application folder. Here is where I am so far. If anyone has anything to add or change then I will edit my list and hopefully one of the admin can move it to the top of a section of the site.

Things to do after the settlement visa is granted and your partner has arrived in the UK

The list is not in any particular order

1. Register your partner with a Doctor. Your partner will then be sent a N.H.S medical card. If your partner has not had many vaccinations then you should get these done and also for ladies they should be registed on the list for smear tests.

2. Register your partner with a dentist.

3. Go shopping for some warm clothes and turn your central heating up.

4. Find out where your local Asian shop is and make a visit.

5. Buy a rice cooker.

6. If your partner wants to work and has found a job they then need a National Insurance number. You will need to contact your local job centre who will advise you on this. They will set a date for an interview and after this short interview it will take about 1 month for your partner's number to come through. In the meantime you can use a temporary number starting with TN then use your partner's date of birth and then either F or M for their sex. For Example. Someone's wife born on 25th October 1972 would use TN 251072 F as thier temporary number

7. Get your partners name put on your bills, council tax etc. If you were currently paying the reduced single occupancy rate for council tax you will need to contact your local council to change this.

8. Open a bank account for your partner. It should be easier if your partner opens an account with the branch you bank at. All banks will need 2 forms of I.D from your partner, 1 of which can be their passport. If you are having problems coming up with some I.D. with name and address on then if you are an existing customer they should let you sign a form to introduce them to the bank and confirm their address.

9. Enrol your partner on an ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) course. Most local councils run these courses and are usually only about £2 per hour. This may also be a good way for your partner to meet other Thai speakers to form friendships with. See http://www.dfes.gov.uk/curriculum_esol/for ESOL details.

10. Look out on the Thai-UK website for any group meetings where your partner will be able to meet up with lots of other Thai people.

11. Make a note of T-UK Telecom (http://www.thailand-uk.com/tuktelecom.html) so your partner can phone home cheaply (and support the forum in return).

Serious suggestions only please.

Thanks,

DavidJohn
25th Oct 2004, 13:16
Thank you Mark and ian for your kind and very useful suggestions. I shall certainly be carrying each and everyone out when Be arrives on the 10 March 2005.
David

Martin
25th Oct 2004, 13:53
Great Idea Mark - well done, looks like you have captured the important things.

My Fiancée arrived in the UK last Wednesday so I appreciate your efforts.

A couple of thoughts

If your not married - Giving "Notice of Intention to Marry" - book a meet with Superintendent Registrar to give notice to marry. Once notice is given you have to wait a further fifteen clear days before the marriage can take, but the notice of marriage is valid for 12 months so you should have time to sort things out before the 6 month visa expires! - Then set Wedding date, then sort out FLR application!

Driving lessons - not sure of the ramifications of this one yet.

Computer aided English lessons

Orientation of local area - bus routes, time tables, nearest shop, local map etc - maybe OTT

John
25th Oct 2004, 14:09
Good point, Martin, about the extra step to be taken if the person arrives in the UK on a fiancé(e) visa. About giving "Notice of Intention to Marry", do that as soon as legally possible ... after the newly arrived person has been at their new address at least seven days.

Why the rush to give that notice? The law is changing soon. It will be possible for a non-EEA citizen to give notice only at certain designated Register Offices ... and that is not necessarily the nearest one to you! All part of the tightening up of the rules to stop "sham marriages" ... but the holder of a fiancé(e) visa should not encounter any other problem giving that notice.

Mark :-

7. Get your partners name put on your bills, council tax etc.
The benefit of that is? Your no. 8 covers the opening of a bank account. Two pieces of evidence, as you say, the person's passport and their NHS card when it arrives will suffice. But as you correctly go on to say, "if you are an existing customer they should let you sign a form to introduce them to the bank and confirm their address."

So the benefit of getting bills into joint names?

Mark W
25th Oct 2004, 14:28
John,
My bank would not accept the N.H.S card as an acceptable proof of address. It had to be a bill of some sort.

The benifit really of getting bills into joint names does not really come into effect until 2 years are up and the ILR is applied for I suppose.

Ian,
I will add something about getting cheaper phone calls. Not only in the UK but for calling back to Thailand.

Jim Jum & Jummeta
25th Oct 2004, 14:41
So the benefit of getting bills into joint names?
I would say akin to the benefits of adding certain items of information to the Settlement Visa supporting documentation folder - a belts and braces approach that also offers a little more flexibility. For example, with opening a bank account whilst other means and documentation will do the trick, so will providing utilities bills with your partner's name on. Certainly not essential, but definitely useful I would say (eg: Mrs. J has a second interview coming up for a job and was asked to bring amongst other things a recent utility bill with her name on ... we could certainly have got around this, but our recent BT bill with her name added to mine precludes any need to apply imagination to the process : )

Jim Jum & Jummeta
25th Oct 2004, 14:52
p.s. I'd say this would make for a very useful pinned post once a comprehensive list has been firmed up. I know for one the help this forum provided Mrs. J and I with did not stop at the visa application. I'm still trawling all over the Forum (or have been over the past month) to dig out things like that more than useful temporary NI number tip, etc. I don't mind searching whatsoever but so nice when there's a rapidly accesible posting (or something say like the advice on UK driving posted as an article off the main Thailand-UK entry page, and the Schengen Visa page ... and just looking at the main page again it has a link to a NI number article! ... and it just dawned on me I once visited Thailand-UK more than a year before I paid any attention to the Forum as it came up on Google when I was trying to sort out Thai fonts on my PC ... hmmm ... coming over all emotional now ... anyway *coughs*) that hits all the key issues neatly and isn't so liable to be overlooked in a search.

Thaddeus
25th Oct 2004, 15:46
A couple of additions Mark.....

Block international dialling on your home phone if you can (sometimes used by mistake, not a trust thing)

A decent quality fluffy bath robe.

Extra set of house keys.

(non serious ones .... extra washing powder, larger waste bin and ear plugs for when you have heard "why tilac" a thousand times :D ........ and for god's sake, clean the bathroom before she gets here..... properly ;) )

John
25th Oct 2004, 16:06
Mark :-

The benefit really of getting bills into joint names does not really come into effect until 2 years are up and the ILR is applied for I suppose.
Sorry Mark, an "old wives tale". Nowhere in the guidance notes that are part of the SET(M) form does it mention anything about bills being in joint names.

That is, it is totally possible to get ILR without anything being put into joint names. We did!

Mark W
25th Oct 2004, 17:12
Originally posted by JimJum
I'd say this would make for a very useful pinned post once a comprehensive list has been firmed up.
Hey, I said that in my first post. :)

Mark W
25th Oct 2004, 17:14
John,
Yes I understood it to be that way but it might be a struggle to get the bits of evidence your partner required once you apply.

For instance, If your partner hasn't got a bank account and isn't on any bills then how does she prove she is still living at that address.

ian
25th Oct 2004, 18:15
LloydsTsb were happy for an account for my wife without any proof of where she lives. Only Thai passport and a letter of introduction from me. No cheque book or credit card :D just cash point without any overdraft option http://www.thailand-uk.com/forum/graemlins/banana.gif
Probably above looks hard, I love her 100%, but, money manager she is not !

John
26th Oct 2004, 03:38
Mark, how to prove you are living with your wife? Page 9 of the form SET(M) includes the following :-

Note 3: You must provide documents of the kind described below as evidence that you and your spouse or partner live together.

If you are applying as a spouse on completion of 24 months� stay in this category, we would, for example, normally accept that your marriage subsists if you provide five items of correspondence of the kind, or from the sources, listed below addressed to you and your spouse during the past year if they clearly show that you live together at the same address. If you have not received any such correspondence that is addressed to you and your spouse jointly, it is acceptable to provide 3 or 4 items addressed to one of you and 1 or 2 items addressed to the other partner so long as they show the same address.

telephone bills or statements
gas bills or statements
electricity bills or statements
water rates
council tax
local social services department
local health authority
government department or agency (eg Department of Health, Inland Revenue, Benefits Agency, Employment Service)
bank or building society
credit card statements
insurance certificates complete with address
mortgage statements or agreement
tenancy agreement
So it is absolutely not compulsory to supply anything in joint names, but if joint-named items are available, that is OK. But clearly some items on the list of permitted items will always be in a sole name, and indeed the note makes clear that absolutely all of the five items can be in sole names if the applicant wants. That is, there is no reason at all to put anything into joint names in order to get the ILR visa.

And look at the list. It includes "local health authority". In other words the NHS card alone would be sufficient, as long as it shows the same address as the other items addressed to the husband.

Another easy possibility where someone is employed is the P2 Notice of Coding issued by the Inland Revenue.

By definition, both an NHS card and Notice of Coding will always be in a sole name.

In short, proving a couple live together in order to get the ILR visa is no great problem at all. Let's not invent a difficulty where one does not exist. http://www.thailand-uk.com/forum/graemlins/nod.gif

Jim Jum & Jummeta
26th Oct 2004, 03:51
Originally posted by Mark W:

Originally posted by JimJum
I'd say this would make for a very useful pinned post once a comprehensive list has been firmed up.
Hey, I said that in my first post. :)
Retrospective Edit: "I'd concur that this would... etc. etc." :p

On the subject of ESOL might be useful to provide a link to information on the scheme?

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/curriculum_esol/

Also hardhhhat made a posting about securing free CDs (http://www.thailand-uk.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000119;p=1#000020) (see http://www.learndirect.co.uk/ to track down one of the local centres HH refers to).

Noi & Nick
26th Oct 2004, 04:14
Originally posted by John:
In short, proving a couple live together in order to get the ILR visa is no great problem at all. Let's not invent a difficulty where one does not exist. http://www.thailand-uk.com/forum/graemlins/nod.gif
Quite http://www.thailand-uk.com/forum/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I can't remember exactly which documents we submitted, but I can remember the only one in joint names was a letter from the council confirming that we were on the housing list. I also know we certainly didn't submit any utility bills as we live with my father and all the bills are in his name.

As a point of interest, has anyone ever had, or does anyone know someone who has had, any problems with ILR? (Other than the length of time it takes to be processed.)

hardhhhat
26th Oct 2004, 04:15
John,

I remember now why we did the "getting name on bills" route. It was for our life insurance. Due to the amount and the company we went through we needed 5 pieces of documentation proving where we lived. As we had already done it on a just-in-case it's needed we were already able to provide it. Also, it made my wife feel like she was HOME seeing her names on the bills and now she is working she feels even better to be contibuting towards our future rather than just using my income. If you don't need to do it you don't have to but you can if you want to. We also needed proof of where she lived to get her a mobile phone before she had a bank account so that helped there too - I guess it depends on what order things get done when you start...

HH - Hope this hasn't confused things any further.

Mark W
26th Oct 2004, 04:36
John,
Maybe it was my wording that was a bit off. I was just thinking if your partner did not have a bank account and cannot use the N.H.S card because it was not issued in the year before you apply for the ILR then the 1 or 2 items might be difficult to find.
I know what I mean i'm just not too articulate. :)

Sorry, we are side tracking from the original post. I'll try to get it all together in the next 2 days and post it on it's own separate topic which can then be pinned.

If anyone has links for me to put in the final draft they would be much appriciated.

John
26th Oct 2004, 04:38
HH .... I don't think it confuses matters. It just confirms that there may be other reasons for putting things into joint names .... but it is absolutely not necessary to do so merely for the purpose of getting an ILR visa.

I suspect that it all comes down to who you have dealings with, and what sort of contracts you might want to enter into. For example, we both have mobile phones but because we don't use them that often it is more economic to have pay-as-you-go ones. In other words, no need to supply any identification.

Bank account? We had an initial difficult. We tried to open an account for Nat at the Woolwich. They refused absolutely. Why? Because her visa was time-limited. http://www.thailand-uk.com/forum/graemlins/crazy.gif At the time she was here on a 12-month spouse visa. So we walked along the High Street, into HSBC, and encountered no problem whatsoever opening an Instant Saver account for Nat. (I have accounts at both the Woolwich and HSBC.)

The HSBC account ... no credit facilities ... but ATM card .... and bank statements!

So the advice on trying to open a bank account, don't accept a refusal ... just go along the High Street until you succeed. Certainly don't think that just because one bank refuses that they all will.

dan&ploy
26th Oct 2004, 08:34
it is acceptable to provide 3 or 4 items addressed to one of you and 1 or 2 items addressed to the other partner so long as they show the same address
Sorry to take ( a very tiny) issue with you John, but if you do not have bills in both names where would the 1 or 2 items addressed to your partner come from? I did try to move my tax bill across to Ploy but we found it easier to change the electric and council tax (which we had to do anyway). I remember on my (Ploy's) application for ILR (after one year in our case, done in person) they were very particular about these joint name documents. Easy to do so why not just do it.

Dan.

Noi & Nick
26th Oct 2004, 09:43
OK, I've dug the paperwork out from the file.

We provided <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
Letter from DWP re NI no. (Noi)
Letter from local council re. housing. (Both)
Bank Statement, joint account. (Both)
Mobile phone account (Me)
Credit card statement (Me)
[/list]

No utility bills. There are many reasons why a couple may want the utility bills in joint names, and they can be used for ILR, but it's not essential, there are other documents that will suffice just as well.

( I know I said earlier that there was just one in joint names, but the memory ain't what it once was :o )

dan&ploy
26th Oct 2004, 10:08
Apart from the statutory stuff regarding visas and passports we provided:-

Electricity bill (Mine)
Council tax bill (both...changed when Ploy arrived here)
Bank statement (joint savings account with A&L)
Telephone (just me, I killed off the rest of her family)
Credit card (joint, I got Ploy added to my visa account with A&L)
Sundry bills to just me.

And in addition:-

A letter from Gordon Brown to Ploy asking her how to run the economy.
A letter to Ploy from Thaksin asking her how to purchase Burma and Vietnam.
A letter from Tony to Ploy asking her how to settle the Iraq crisis.

The above are not compulsory.

Dan.

John
26th Oct 2004, 10:14
Dan, your message at 14:34 UK time today, as I said earlier :-

And look at the list. It includes "local health authority". In other words the NHS card alone would be sufficient, as long as it shows the same address as the other items addressed to the husband.

Another easy possibility where someone is employed is the P2 Notice of Coding issued by the Inland Revenue.

By definition, both an NHS card and Notice of Coding will always be in a sole name.
Those are just examples. A bank statement would also count of course.

Matey
28th Oct 2004, 07:26
John

I was suprised to read about the bank account being able to be opened so easily? When I first approached my bank (who I have banked with for over 30 years) they told me she had to be in the country resident for 1 year? Proof was her entry stamp on her passport.ie arrived July 02, had to wait until July 03. This tight procedure was because of money laundering/terrorism? I tried other banks aswell and got the same answer. Was I told a load of rubbish from my bank?

Andy

Jack
28th Oct 2004, 07:40
We opened a Nationwide account with passport, wedding certificate and a letter from me confirming address. I was existing customer all done first week Thom was here

Jack

John
28th Oct 2004, 07:58
Andy, as I have posted before, we encountered exactly the same at the Woolwich but then literally walked down the High Street to HSBC and they had no problem opening an account for Nat.

In other words, if "Bank 1" will not open an account, just try "Bank 2", "Bank 3" etc until you get one to agree to open an account. Certainly don't accept a refusal from one bank as an indication that all will refuse.

mightyzim
31st Mar 2005, 01:36
I guess this hasn't been updated for awhile.
Is there a list of what teh Thai partner has to do? I.e moving of bank accounts to uk, notification of standing orders, notification of insurance agencies etc?

robert d
5th Jun 2005, 16:10
i taught my wife to read the instructions on microwave meals especially the bit about piercing the film lid several times,what a mess....on a more serious note write a list of telephone numbers and keep by the phone,family,friends, emergency services,taxi firms, doctors,especially if you are away at all i tried to liaise with the doctor via from london when my daughter was ill then had to call a taxi to take them to the hospital etc.

Tony & Apple
7th Jun 2005, 10:48
as well as registering with GP and dentist how about a visit to the local opticians for a check up, which should be done every two years really.
boots run a good service

29th Aug 2006, 03:15
Hi Mark

You seem to know a lot about these subjects.

Can you advice me please. I have one friend who married to Englishman since July 2004 in Thailand and she got her Wife Visa July this year to come stay in UK with her husband. She did not do it before because he is commando in UK army and been away from UK since one month after they marry.

Now him finish in army and she is going to UK September 2006 and she wants to get job, but another person tell her she got to wait 6 months before she can apply for job. Can you help with answer to this question because I think it can be immediate to get job if she is wife and have 2 years Visa for stay in UK.

Cordially yours

Kanyara

Noi & Nick
29th Aug 2006, 04:09
I hope you (and Mark) wont mind if I answer.

If she is legally married to him (that is registered at an Ampur) and has a visa as his wife then she can work immediately she enters the UK, assuming she can find a job of course.

I think this other person must be thinking of a fiance visa, that is a visa to come to the UK and marry, where the visa holder cannot work until after the marriage and FLR has been obtained.

14th Mar 2007, 02:21
Useful guidleines - I have a few questions and wonder if anyone can answer them. We are applying for a civil partnership visa (similar to fiancee visa) to allow us to register our partnership - after which he can apply for settlement (which I think is 2 years initially and then can be applied for permanent settlement after that)

What is the status of a Thai national in respect of health care, education etc during these different periods ie the first 6 months, the next two years? Suprisingly there is little information about this on any government sites.

PMs or posted replies welcomed

incidnetally my boyfriend stayed here and loved the climate, even laid down in the snow one day! I did turn the heating up but later turned it off as he opened the window to make it colder LOL

Noi & Nick
14th Mar 2007, 15:55
Proposed civil partners or fiancé(e)s are in the UK for a settled purpose and so are entitled to treatment on the NHS, paying the same fee (if any) as a British citizen/resident. The same applies once they have FLR (and to someone on a spouse visa).

Not sure about education. If you mean ESOL then there is lots of discussion on this, just put 'ESOL' into search. Otherwise, I think, if over 18, they have to pay the overseas rate until they have ILR. Not certain on that though.