PDA

View Full Version : Just some questions about ilr

Dave C
19th Apr 2007, 04:08
Hi all,

I have not posted for a while as being married and having a baby is a life changer :help:

On looking at the *NEW* spec on what the government sees fit to change when they see fit I am shocked at what I have read. First is the extreme hike in application fees and another is how they change the rules at half time and make you have to pass a life in the uk exam when we did not plan for it until later on.

( I would like to rant about european workers in the uk who can not even speak english, or try :mad: )

But thats another forum topic somewhere else.

I have been reading the application guidlines and form to get an idea of what is required. We are ok on the paperwork side but I am concerned with the box for child tax credit(CTC), it seems to be on the list of public funds. We have had to make a joint claim on this as par the uk law and now its seems to have changed??

Does this mean I have to give up my claim of CTC?

Thanks

D & N

Dave C
19th Apr 2007, 04:08
Hi all,

I have not posted for a while as being married and having a baby is a life changer :help:

On looking at the *NEW* spec on what the government sees fit to change when they see fit I am shocked at what I have read. First is the extreme hike in application fees and another is how they change the rules at half time and make you have to pass a life in the uk exam when we did not plan for it until later on.

( I would like to rant about european workers in the uk who can not even speak english, or try :mad: )

I have been reading the application guidlines and form to get an idea of what is required. We are ok on the paperwork side but I am concerned with the box for child tax credit(CTC), it seems to be on the list of public funds. We have had to make a joint claim on this as par the uk law and now its seems to have changed??

Thanks

D & N

Skippy
19th Apr 2007, 04:38

( I would like to rant about european workers in the uk who can not even speak english, or try )

Definitely another topic - and I will comment on it there and again |i will be challenged by IanB and like minded individuals

- my only comment is the reason they are "squeezing" immigrants from the Commonwealth and outside the EU is they can!!

Price Hike is an understatement - especially on the naturalisation part - how can you encourage people to want to be part of the UK society on one hand then slug them as well!!

-Skippy

Noi & Nick
19th Apr 2007, 06:48
Originally posted by Dave C:
I am concerned with the box for child tax credit(CTC), it seems to be on the list of public funds. We have had to make a joint claim on this as par the UK law and now its seems to have changed??

Does this mean I have to give up my claim of CTC? CTC is on the list of proscribed public funds, as is CHB.

This means that someone whose visa disallows access to public funds cannot claim them, but their spouse/partner can. Your wife is allowed to be a joint claimant with you, but could not claim it on her own.

Similarly, your wife can't claim CHB for your children, but you can; even if they are your step children and are in the UK with a settlement visa.

So, this will not affect her ILR application.

Dave C
20th Apr 2007, 07:31
Thanks for the reply :thumb:

Another note is the 'Britishness' test in the fact that me and Nat had a look at the book the other night and I failed and Nat passed :rolleyes:

John
20th Apr 2007, 09:18
Dave C posted :-

but I am concerned with the box for child tax credit(CTC), it seems to be on the list of public funds. We have had to make a joint claim on this as par the uk law and now its seems to have changed??

No you do not! And sorry Nick, I don't agree with your answer, or rather think it is incomplete.

Firstly, whoever designed the legislation and thought it necessary to make it this complicate needs to be shot (as they say) .... well certainly sacked! Having got that off my chest :-

Para 6B of the Immigration Rules has the effect, in defined circumstances, of making some claims for Public Funds into, well, not Public Funds! And this applies to Dave C and his wife! That is, whilst for many people claiming Tax Credits would amount to claiming Public Funds, for the two of you, in your circumstances, it does not.

Accordingly I think you are totally justified in answering "No" to Q7.6 on the form SET(M), and then leaving all of the following section, listing benefit types, blank.