PDA

View Full Version : Questions on entry

Phillip & Joy
25th May 2007, 13:02
After reading many posts over the last couple of weeks a couple of things have struck me. Firstly a lot of visas seem to be granted without interview and in the passport together with the visa is a letter which states that the visa is no longer a guarantee of entry into the UK.

Coupled with that I am reading a lot about so called "grillings" that they are having to endure from IOs. This worries me as Joy has a tendency under pressure to forget everything. She is not good in new situations and goes into complete panic. Probably why we are so good together....LOL!

Even when being questioned by me she can go into panic and forget. Yesterday I asked her when we met and she got the day and month right but said it was 2007 not 2005. She also couldnt remember the town i live in. This is a worry as her English is also not brilliant and if the IO fires away in English this could cause more stress and anxiety for her and hence she could become more forgetful.

Does anyone have any knowledge of anyone being sent back to Thailand at this point? I would die if they refused her entry and put her on the first plane back.

Can I go through every step of the way with her?

Also what sort of questions do they ask on entry? Anyone have any info on this. I'm starting to worry about this now.

God does this worry ever end? I thought the embassy had dealt with the visa thing. Now it seems she may yet have it all to come.

Phillip & Joy
25th May 2007, 13:02
After reading many posts over the last couple of weeks a couple of things have struck me. Firstly a lot of visas seem to be granted without interview and in the passport together with the visa is a letter which states that the visa is no longer a guarantee of entry into the UK.

Coupled with that I am reading a lot about so called "grillings" that they are having to endure from IOs. This worries me as Joy has a tendency under pressure to forget everything. She is not good in new situations and goes into complete panic. Probably why we are so good together....LOL!

Even when being questioned by me she can go into panic and forget. Yesterday I asked her when we met and she got the day and month right but said it was 2007 not 2005. She also couldnt remember the town i live in. This is a worry as her English is also not brilliant and if the IO fires away in English this could cause more stress and anxiety for her and hence she could become more forgetful.

Does anyone have any knowledge of anyone being sent back to Thailand at this point? I would die if they refused her entry and put her on the first plane back.

Also what sort of questions do they ask on entry? Anyone have any info on this. I'm starting to worry about this now.

God does this worry ever end? I thought the embassy had dealt with the visa thing. Now it seems she may yet have it all to come.

packpao
25th May 2007, 13:23
Also what sort of questions do they ask on entry?
We had just the one question from the IO.
Q: Is this your first time in the UK?

I'm starting to worry about this now.
Stop worrying man!

You've done the hard bit applying for the visa. Now just chill!

Packpao

Andy22
25th May 2007, 15:25
When Max first arrived in the UK. They let me go through the same passport control non EU. They asked her what date did we get married and how long had we known each other.

However, do not worry. I would suggest have some of your evidence with you in your hand luggage just to help put your mind at rest. Phil if Joy then becomes a little flustered just show them some of your evidance for example your wedding certificate if you are married. To answer your question I have never heard of anyone having been sent back.

Try not to worry

I agree with the other posts you have done the hard work.

Relax and enjoy it

Kind regards

Andy

Doggsy
25th May 2007, 15:56
Although it is not required to carry the visa application evidence with you I know that it would have made things much easier when we tried to get my wife (then girlfriend) through on her visitor visa. I went through the normal channels but when there was a problem i was allowed back. Essentially the guy i got was a bot of a jobsworth but he did say that it would be much easier if he could see our proof as all he had was our word for it.

It's true though that getting the visa issued in the first place is the most difficult. I think that the percentage of people getting a first time pass on this site is higher than the norm (or of people I have spoken to) that don't use this site.

My wife is coming across on the 2nd June and I have told her to take the visa application in her hand luggage. Any questions she can just show them that! All of it, make them read it! they will be sorry they asked

Phillip & Joy
25th May 2007, 21:20
Thanks Guys. We already had planned to have the evidence folder in the hand luggage.

It's really strange, but even though this is the shortest time we have had between trips, for some very odd reason I am missing her the most this time.

The old finishing post in sight syndrome I guess.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest. I'm sure she will cope with those kinds of questions.

Phillip

Doggsy
26th May 2007, 04:17
I have one week left before my wife arrives. I left thailand on the 2nd april. Even though when i look back time has gone quickly it has felt like an age. Last week was awful, i think it was a fortnight long. I am guessing this week will be the same so i understand exactly where you are coming from!!

Tony & Apple
26th May 2007, 10:53

i went through the same channel as my wife. we went to the counter together and handed in our passports together and when they asked their questions i answered them. i can't remember what they asked now but it was simple.

getting the visa is the hard part so relax ;) but easier said than done :D

The old finishing post in sight syndrome I guess.

wrong, getting the visa is only the beginning mate :thumb:

fun times await :)

enjoy the experience. everything will be new for your wife
:thumb:

mellowsailor
26th May 2007, 13:26
"...in the passport together with the visa is a letter which states that the visa is no longer a guarantee of entry into the UK".
If the letter actually says "no longer" it is misleading inasmuch as the visa was never an absolute guarantee of entry into the UK. The visa does give the rightful holder permission to enter the UK between the dates shown, and the IO can only cancel this if it is proved that deception was employed to get it, or if there has been a change of circumstances since its issue. The burden of proof is on the IO.
If a visa is cancelled, there is a right of appeal before removal, so there is no risk of being sent straight back.
Relax. The IOs are not expected or encouraged to conduct the ECO's interview all over again - they have to shift the queue in front of them. If the passport and visa presented to them are genuine, and the person presenting it is the rightful holder, they haven't much else to do. If you're the sponsor and you're travelling with or meeting the passenger, there won't be a problem. If you're meeting her, make sure she has your mobile phone number to hand.

colin244
29th May 2007, 06:46
If you're meeting her, make sure she has your mobile phone number to hand.

Good advice as I had to spell my adress by mobile to another Thai lady at LHR Immigration when Dao came into UK as she could not fill in the landing card in English on her own (this problem only occured once as she now has a copy completed card in her purse)
colin 244

Ian in Issan
31st May 2007, 01:58
i went through the same channel as my wife. we went to the counter together and handed in our passports together and when they asked their questions i answered them

It never occured to me to go through the non-UK entry with my wife (then GF) on her first visit, however for us I think this was a good thing. My wife was very nervous but got though it ok and is now fairly confident in flying to Thailand and back by herself if needs be. It won't be for everyone but try give her a little independence from day one in the UK could make her stay a happier one.

Just my thoughts, but everyone if different and there is no right or wrong way.

Good luck :thumb:

Mark W
31st May 2007, 02:13
Originally posted by Ian in Issan:
It won't be for everyone but try give her a little independence from day one in the UK could make her stay a happier one.

My thoughts exactly, they are not stupid people. My ex wife and girlfriend have both travelled on their own with stopovers and have never had any problems.

Phillip & Joy
31st May 2007, 04:22
I absolutely agree with you both. Maybe I should let her go through alone. However, she is afraid, but not as fearful as me. I don't like immigration anywhere in the world and she doesn't want to leave my side the whole trip.

I think it may be too much of a big leap for us both on day one! Especially for me!!

Noi & Nick
31st May 2007, 04:33
Horses for courses.

Noi has always been nervous of officials who don't speak Thai as she's worried she wont understand them, or they her. (This is despite every one she speaks to telling her that her English is fine, better than fine in fact! :rolleyes:) and until she got her British passport I always went through the non-EU channel with her. Now we both use the EU one.