PDA

View Full Version : help with a little Thai.....

cmason561
1st Apr 2008, 05:29
Could someone please tell me how to say "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened". In Thai? A good friend of mine wants to get a Tattoo done. She asked me to ask my g/f but i know full well she will have no idea what i am talking about ha ;O)

Thanks for your help.

Colin.

guava
3rd Apr 2008, 17:20
OK Colin,

This thread has 92 views but no reply. I think you may have realised that your request is difficult if not impossible to answer.

Please take a look at this thread on Thailandqa (http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17269&highlight=tattoo) (mods please allow this external link on this occasion as it is directly relevant to this members request)

If what you are requesting is a literal word for word translation into Thai script then that can be given (although the word "it" may be problematical), but would it make sense in Thai language? Nope

Why have an English saying that in itself can be expressed so many ways in English translated into Thai? - every cloud has silver lining, no use crying over spilt milk etc etc

Maybe to research an original Thai saying that expresses similar sentiments would be a better way to go. (although why anyone wants a tattoo that they can neither read nor truly understand would be beyond me)

Please dont take offence, I waited to see if anyone else would post before I made this response.

guava
4th Apr 2008, 16:41
I think maybe my first post wasn’t too helpful because I didn’t offer any examples of a Thai saying that your friend may find appropriate. Here are a couple - with explanations, hopefully this will help illustrate the difficulties of translating the intention behind a phrase as opposed to literal word for word translation.

แกงจืดจึงรู้คุณเกลือ gaeng jeut jung roo khun gluea – literal translation “mildly seasoned soup therefore be grateful for salt” – meaning “you don’t know what you’ve got till its gone”

ชั่วเจ็ดที ดีเจ็ดหน chua jet tee dee jet hon – literal translation “bad seven times good seven times” – meaning “every cloud has a silver lining”

Anthony
26th Aug 2008, 06:10
You can say the following:

yaa ngoon bpai noi leeui

This translates to roughly "Dont get too upset"

yaa and noi are low tones and all the others are mid level. Its difficult to get the right letters to use as I dont have the correct fonts on the keyboard.

linda-mac
27th Aug 2008, 18:08
Answer your quote ; Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened". In Thai? A good friend of mine wants to get a Tattoo done. She asked me to ask my g/f but i know full well she will have no idea what i am talking about ha ;O)[/quote]
Dear Colin I can help you but you need to pay for me 1 pounds for my help and for making friend online here LOL
I am Thai who get married to Scottish guy who cn speak only few words of important issue for LOVE
he said 'I love you' : Phom Rak khoon krub' ผมรักคุณครับ..whenever you want to show your speech seem polit you must end up speaking with the word 'KRUB' but remember it has no meaning.
I am unsure for speeling phonation well but that is the way to speak Thai

Don't cry because it's over. อย่าร้องให้เพราะว่ามันจบไปแล้ว
for this sentence you can say;
My dear : Teerak ที่รัก
Don't cry because it's over อย่าร้องให้เพราะว่ามันจบไปแล้ว: Yha Rong Hai Prau Wa Mun Jobe Pai Lawe

Smile because it happened". Chong Yim Prau Wa Mun Kerd Khoun Lawe จงยิ้มเพราะว่ามันเกิดขึ้นแล้ว

If you want to get a tatoo Just tell her
I want to get a tattoo : Phom Yak Mee Roy Sak :ผมอยากมีรอยสัก
Phom = I
want to = Yak
Get = Mee (I want to have)
Tattoo = Roy Sak

Hope my help is proper one
linda