PDA

View Full Version : FLR - Including Dependant Residing in Thailand

D&O
27th May 2007, 03:50
Hi,

My wife has a 6 year old son from a previous relationship who currently lives in Thailand. We are due to submit an FLR application for my wife and I was wondering, is it possible to apply for the son at the same time? He has never been to England before.

We can prove that his care and welfare is dependant on us and can substantiate this with evidence. On our last visit to Thailand we went to the amphur to get the document stating my wife has sole responsibility, the father has never been bothered with him or provided 1 baht towards his upbringing, however he would attend the amphur if we needed him too. Thankfully he believes his son would be better off being raised in the UK (little does he know?!?!).

It would make a big difference to us if it is possible, not just financially, but it would mean on our next visit we would be able to pick him up and bring him home and be fully prepared for this in both Thailand and the UK.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

D&O
27th May 2007, 03:50
Hi,

My wife has a 6 year old son from a previous relationship who currently lives in Thailand. We are due to submit an FLR application for my wife and I was wondering, is it possible to apply for the son at the same time? He has never been to England before.

We can prove that his care and welfare is dependant on us and can substantiate this with evidence. On our last visit to Thailand we went to the amphur to get the document stating my wife has sole responsibility, the father has never been bothered with him or provided 1 baht towards his upbringing, however he would attend the amphur if we needed him too. Thankfully he believes his son would be better off being raised in the UK (little does he know?!?!).

It would make a big difference to us if it is possible, not just financially, but it would mean on our next visit we would be able to pick him up and bring him home and be fully prepared for this in both Thailand and the UK.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tobias
27th May 2007, 04:03
I think the answer is going to be no D&O. I presume your wife is already here in the UK and is about to apply for FLR after marriage on a fiancé(e) visa?

If that is the case then I'm afraid the child will have to make a settlement visa application in Bangkok.

D&O
27th May 2007, 10:08
Not a fiance visa, spouse visa - We've been married for three years and living together in the UK now for nearly two.

Tony & Apple
27th May 2007, 10:17

you will need to apply in bangkok. but it seems from reading the above you have the right documents and evidence and so in my opinion you should have a strong application.

back in mid 2004 we applied for our daughter's visa from the UK. i send over all the evidence (photocopies) to the embassy from london using DHL. when we arrived in bangkok we had an interview alread arranged and just handed over the orginials and the fee.

this was in 2004 and things have changed but it might still be possible to apply from the UK??

if successful the visa will allow your son to join his mother in the UK and will expire at the same time as your wife's FLR does.

Tobias
27th May 2007, 11:06
Originally posted by D&O:
Not a fiance visa, spouse visa - We've been married for three years and living together in the UK now for nearly two. A visa application will still have to be made in Bangkok for the son.

The FLR visa for the wife is because of no Citizenship test certificate?

Tony & Apple
27th May 2007, 12:53
if its a ILR application then wait until your wife has ILR before applying for the boy's visa.

as it will be cheaper as he will then get ILE

John
27th May 2007, 13:52
A&A, I don't think it is necessary to wait. If the boy's visa is obtained while the mother still has a time-limited visa, and thus he gets a time-limited child settlement visa, the boy's details can be entered on the form SET(M) form, and then ILR obtained for the boy at the same time as his mother ..... for no additional cost.

Tony & Apple
27th May 2007, 14:00
thats true

D&O
27th May 2007, 14:31
I think I am going mad.

Should my wife be applying for FLR? Is this the correct visa to apply for after the two year spouse visa? She hasnt sat the life in the UK test but she has obtained the certificate.

Sorry if this is a stupid question?

D&O
27th May 2007, 14:41
Really really stupid question.

Set (M)...... I will be applying for SET (M)...

Just a slight increase in the fee....

Tobias
28th May 2007, 01:40
... She hasnt sat the life in the UK test but she has obtained the certificate. Which certificate is that D&O?

Tony & Apple
28th May 2007, 11:31
D&O

for FLR - form (http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/11406/flr(m)may.pdf) and guidance notes (http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/11406/flr(m)guidmay.pdf)

for ILR -
form (http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/11406/set(m).pdf) and guidance (http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/6353/11406/set(m)guidmay.pdf)
please note for ILR there is an english language requirement in section 5

A pass in the test known as the Life in the UK test; or one of the following
English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) qualifications:
An ESOL “Skills for Life” qualification in speaking and listening at Entry
Level or
Two ESOL Units at Access Level under the Scottish Credit and Qualifications
Framework approved by the Scottish Qualifications Authority.

for your wife's son

the application is independent of your wife's and should be made in bangkok

VAF 2 (http://www.fco.gov.uk/Files/kfile/VAF2Oct06,4.pdf)

general info (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1018696631238) and guidance for child visa (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1018721067523#Q1)

D&O
31st May 2007, 13:46
Tony many thanks.

ILR is what we are going for...... not SET M?!?! FLR?!?!

We already have & letter from my wifes college stating that citizenship material is being taught during the course. Also my wife was awarded two certificates in "ESOL Skills for Life" for speaking & listening and reading, which shows her progression through the course.

I was having a bad day...

I new in my head what VISA we needed but clearly not by name - Can you imagine if I had sent off for the FLR and got my wifes passport back with an extention to her current VISA....Isaan divorce courts would have been expecting our arrival!!

Thanks for the links really helpful.

Tobias
1st Jun 2007, 01:53
... already have & letter from my wifes college stating that citizenship material is being taught during the course. Also my wife was awarded two certificates in "ESOL Skills for Life" for speaking & listening and reading, which shows her progression through the course.... Is one of those certificates a "completion certificate" for a combined ESOL/Citizenship course?

D&O
1st Jun 2007, 13:43
My wife was recently awarded a certificate (qualified)in the "Entry Level - Skills for Life in Speaking & Listening", and also reading. Exactly as Tony's quote from the SET M above suggests is necessary.

She also has a letter issued by Kenty County Council to accompany the certificate which varifies that the above qualification ESOl Skills for life was delivered within a citizenship contex. Material of which derived from the "Citizenship materials for ESOL learners" pack for the Home Office. It also refers to my wifes attendance with contact details .

If I remember, I will take both the certificate and letter to work on Monday and will scan and post for the benefit of others.

galahad
1st Jun 2007, 14:18
Just out of curiousity does anyone know if having Adult literacy level 1 or above excludes one from having to take this 'life in the UK 'test?
I,ve read that the life in the Uk test is for people who can demonstrate a level of English on or above Entry Level 3.
So working on that basis Levels 1 and 2 in Adult literacy(level 2 is GCSE A*-C standard)are way more than is required;so shouldn,t this be enough to satisfy the BIA?

http://www.stockauditor.co.uk/tuk/0705/esol_002.jpg

John
1st Jun 2007, 15:12
does anyone know if having Adult literacy level 1 or above excludes one from having to take this 'life in the UK 'test?

No it does not, but it does confirm that the person is well able to study for and pass that test.