PDA

View Full Version : Sunitra has her settlement visa

Dave Burton
25th Jan 2007, 12:00
£500 and 3 hours from walking through the doors at Croydon PEO my wife Sunitra has her Indefinate leave to Remain visa,personally i think it was worth the extra £165 to get it in a day, with two years worth of bills, letters etc etc, under arm it was a bit nerve racking, for those of you that will going through the same process apply for as much stuff as possible with joint names and dates. On collection of her passport she was told that it would only be a year before she would be able to apply for a british passport,i take it being here prior to our marriage on a student visa for 2 years also counts towards the 5 years you need to qualify.

Dave Burton
25th Jan 2007, 12:00
£500 and 3 hours from walking through the doors at Croydon PEO my wife Sunitra has her Indefinate leave to Remain visa,personally i think it was worth the extra £165 to get it in a day, with two years worth of bills, letters etc etc, under arm it was a bit nerve racking, for those of you that will going through the same process apply for as much stuff as possible with joint names and dates. On collection of her passport she was told that it would only be a year before she would be able to apply for a british passport,i take it being here prior to our marriage on a student visa for 2 years also counts towards the 5 years you need to qualify.

Tobias
25th Jan 2007, 12:11
Originally posted by Dave Burton:
... On collection of her passport she was told that it would only be a year before she would be able to apply for a british passport,i take it being here prior to our marriage on a student visa for 2 years also counts towards the 5 years you need to qualify. Yes, when an application for Citizenship is made the rule is that the person applying was physically in the United Kingdom at the beginning of the three-year period that ended on the date the application is received by IND. Also during the three-year period the applicant must not normally have been outside the UK for more than 270 days nor outside the UK for more than 90 days in the 12 months immediately before the application is made.

So, it is possible that your wife may already qualify for Citizenship. But don't forget the Citizenship test!

Dave Burton
25th Jan 2007, 12:19
thanx Tobias, the citizenship test will be the next big step, along with the driving test or should i say theory test, any way one thing at a time
cheers

John
25th Jan 2007, 13:41
Dave, when did your wife first enter the UK? If that was over three years ago, it could well be she is time-qualified to apply for Naturalisation now.

Citizenship Test clearly the priority!

Dave Burton
25th Jan 2007, 14:01
Hi john
Sunitra first arrived october 2002, we have a holiday in LOS once a year for no more than a month, where did i get the 5 year qualifying period from?

thanx Dave

steve&saranya
25th Jan 2007, 14:09
well done dave and sunitra great feeling isnt it. :clap:

steve

John
25th Jan 2007, 15:02
where did i get the 5 year qualifying period from?

Dave, are you British? If so there is a 3-year qualifying period. 5 years would apply if you are not British.

How is your wife's English? If good, try and get her through the Citizenship Test before the end of March, and then promptly submit the application for Naturalisation. Why? All application fees liable to alter from April, and I guess the adjustment will be upwards!

packpao
25th Jan 2007, 16:20
Congrats Dave and Kung. :thumb:

Packpao and Mue.

Marcus
25th Jan 2007, 20:17
:thumb:

leekman
25th Jan 2007, 22:59
congratulations to you both :thumb:

trouble maker
26th Jan 2007, 01:04
Congratulations :clap:

michael001
26th Jan 2007, 02:38
welldone :thumb:

colin244
26th Jan 2007, 02:47
Congrats from us too :thumb:
colin 244 & Dao

Headers
26th Jan 2007, 02:48
Congrats Dave.
The 5 year rule also applies to those who are not married which is where you may have seen it.

thongchai
26th Jan 2007, 09:39
welldone too :thumb:
cheers Andy

Tony & Apple
26th Jan 2007, 13:18
well done mate

:thumb:

Dave Burton
26th Jan 2007, 14:32
a big thanx to everyone for all your messages, john i would consider her english to be good so we'll start looking into the test and i am british, has anyone got any more info or threads/links to info about the citizenship test, i'll google for now and see how i get on,
cheers
once again thanx everyone for your support
Dave Kung and Daisy.