PDA

View Full Version : Can you learn to drive in the UK with a french provisional licence

ash
13th Sep 2007, 00:28
Daeng would like to learn to drive but as we live in France and her French is not yet very good I was wondering if she gets the French provisional licence and then attends a driving school in the UK to learn the practical skills if she could then take a uk test or then take the French test.

ash

ash
13th Sep 2007, 00:28
Daeng would like to learn to drive but as we live in France and her French is not yet very good I was wondering if she gets the French provisional licence and then attends a driving school in the UK to learn the practical skills if she could then take a uk test or then take the French test.

ash

John
13th Sep 2007, 08:43
Ash, do appreciate that, irrespective of anything else, she cannot take the UK practical test until she has passed the UK theory test! And that just got a lot more difficult!

But suspect that the answer to your question is no. If she was living in the UK and had a UK provisional licence, passes in the tests would turn that into a UK full licence, which she could then convert into a full French licence!

Noi & Nick
13th Sep 2007, 13:19
The simple answer is no.

To take a driving test, theory or practical, in the UK you not only need a UK licence (GB or NI to be pedantic) you also need to be a UK resident or in the UK on a long term visa, e.g. student.

John, there is no need to transfer a UK licence into a French one as a full licence issued by any EU state is valid, for that class of vehicle, in any other EU state.

ash
13th Sep 2007, 21:06
Nick
Can you have lessons in the UK with an EU provisional licence ?

Also John the UK theory test might have got harder but its a lot easier that a test in a language that you can't yet understand.

ash

Lucky
14th Sep 2007, 03:57
Slightly off topic, but I have seen a couple of sites advertising that they can get you a full EU licence (usually from one of the newer EU countries) with no test and only having a provisional licence. I won't post the links here but if anyone is interested they can be Googled readily.

Tobias
14th Sep 2007, 04:12
Sounds dodgy to me me Lucky. There may be serious criminal consequences if someone uses a dodgy drivers' licence.

A quick-fix licence that subsequently turns out to be invalid or obtained unlawfully can cause a whole spectrum of problems to the 'user'.

Caveat Emptor!

Lucky
14th Sep 2007, 04:46
Tobias

Sounded dodgy to me. But I do not know what is needed to obtain a licence in say Latvia and what is legal or not.

I will PM the site address to you have a read.

Tobias
14th Sep 2007, 05:03
Thanks for the link Lucky, and I can confirm that obtaining a licence from that website for use in the UK will be illegal - both the obtaining of the licence and the using of the licence. By doing so one will commit a series of very serious criminal and motoring offenses.

DO NOT BOTHER!

Noi & Nick
14th Sep 2007, 07:22
Originally posted by ash:
Nick
Can you have lessons in the UK with an EU provisional licence ? I am not 100% sure, but I think not. I'll check.

Even if the official answer is 'Yes' it is unlikely that a UK instructor would take her out as instructor's insurance policies usually insist that pupils hold a UK licence.

Noi & Nick
14th Sep 2007, 08:22
OK, the closest thing I can find to an answer is from Minimum ages and rules for learner drivers and riders (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/LearningToDriveOrRide/DG_4022661)
Before you start to drive, you must:
hold a valid, provisional driving licence for Great Britain or Northern Ireland and Driving in Great Britain (GB) on a licence issued in a European Community/European Economic Area (EC/EEA) country (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022556)
Taking a driving test
If you want to take a British driving test you must be normally resident in GB. However, if you have moved to GB having recently been permanently resident in another state of the EC/EEA, you must have been normally resident in GB for 185 days in the 12 months prior to your application for a driving test and a full licence.

To take a GB driving test you will need to either:
apply for a GB counterpart licence (D58/2) by completing a D9 (available from embassies or DVLA) and enclose your community driving licence, which will be returned to you. The provisional licence document is issued free of charge. However, the appropriate fee must be paid and your community licence surrendered in exchange for a GB one when claiming the full entitlement exchange your community licence for the British equivalent and request the appropriate provisional entitlement So she could learn to drive in the UK with a French provisional, but would need to get a D58/2 first. Even then the problem with instructor's insurance mentioned before would need to be overcome.

Certainly, in order to take her test here, even if she had a D58/2, she would need to be resident here.

Tobias
14th Sep 2007, 08:45
Nick, and I do not know the answer to this question, but does not your first quotation suggest that a UK/NI Provisional Licence must be held to learn to drive in the UK?

Clear as mud, in'it?

Ash, I would forget the UK option - either Daeng should learn and take the test in France or wait until you return to settle in the UK.

ash
14th Sep 2007, 09:02
Looks like we will have to find an instructor who speaks English or god forbid I might have to sit in the car and translate :crazy:

ash

Noi & Nick
14th Sep 2007, 09:08
Originally posted by Tobias:
does not your first quotation suggest that a UK/NI Provisional Licence must be held to learn to drive in the UK? It does, and that is what I've believed up 'til now. That is whilst a full licence issued by a EU member state is valid in any other member state (up to the later of 3 years residency or age 70) a provisional one isn't.

However, the second quote says that, provided the residency requirement is met, a provisional licence issued by a member state together with a D58/2 is valid for the test and to take the test one needs to drive on the public road. This leads me to think that one could also learn in the UK with these two documents.
Clear as mud, in'it? Too true! Which is probably why instructor's insurance insists that anyone who drives the instructor's car holds an appropriate GB, NI or foriegn full licence for the category or a GB or NI provisional.

Ash, in the UK the theory test can be taken with the questions read over headphones in one of 20 languages, of which I'm sure French is one, and candidates may be accompanied on the practical test by an interpreter. Do the French not allow similar?

Also, most instructors in the UK will accommodate an interpreter if necessary, maybe French ones will too?
(Self edit, written before seeing your comment above.)

Otherwise I can only echo Tobias' final comment.