PDA

View Full Version : Thai entering UK..

Robbie F
18th Dec 2006, 01:22
Hi All.

Recently secured a SV for my wife and she's planning to fly back to England with me in Feb. I now need to find a flight for her.

I've advised her to carry all documents she used for the visa when she comes to the uk in case she is grilled further by immigration. I understand this has been relaxed a little (and should be as per the documentation she was given when she got the visa). I think it is mandatory for her to carry the TB certificate.

I'd be interested in anyone's recent experience of their other half passing through immigration at Heathrow. How long, how much hassle etc?

Also, I will be buying her a single ticket to come to the uk as she will be here for at least two years. I presume this is ok? Just wondered if immigration expect her to have an open return or something in case she needs to return to Thailand. I'm sure this is not the case, but border controls do sometimes have odd rules!

Cheers,

Rob.

Robbie F
18th Dec 2006, 01:22
Hi All.

Recently secured a SV for my wife and she's planning to fly back to England with me in Feb. I now need to find a flight for her.

I've advised her to carry all documents she used for the visa when she comes to the uk in case she is grilled further by immigration. I understand this has been relaxed a little (and should be as per the documentation she was given when she got the visa). I think it is mandatory for her to carry the TB certificate.

I'd be interested in anyone's recent experience of their other half passing through immigration at Heathrow. How long, how much hassle etc?

Also, I will be buying her a single ticket to come to the uk as she will be here for at least two years. I presume this is ok? Just wondered if immigration expect her to have an open return or something in case she needs to return to Thailand. I'm sure this is not the case, but border controls do sometimes have odd rules!

Cheers,

Rob.

Paul tee nung
18th Dec 2006, 01:49
I booked my wifes fligt with Thai airways as there will be other thai's on the flight who can help her. The stewardess's will be able to help her also. Good luck. It cost around 26,000thb.

Robbie F
18th Dec 2006, 01:58
Thanks Paul.

I presume that was a single flight you bought for her?

Rob.

John500
18th Dec 2006, 02:14
It all depends on immigration official I think. My gf got a real quizzing but just toughed it through and no problem, another friend got through with no questions. Just be prepared for new quizzing, so long as she sticks to same answers as before, should be no excuse for immigration to reject. Goog luck!!

Headers
18th Dec 2006, 03:41
My girlfriend was asked for her TB certificate only. Very friendly to her. From time of landing until she came into the heathrow arrivals lounge was about 35mins.

One way ticket is fine as she has a settlement visa. the airline checkin desk in bangkok will check that anyway and not allow her to fly on a one way ticket if she didn't have a sv.

Always a good idea to have what remains of the evidence folder with her. The embassy kept most of our letters and returned only bank statements, photos, payslips. In hindsight good advise would be to copy the entire evidence folder before submitting it.

I believe it is extremely rare for anyone to be refused entry if they have the correct visa.

Hope all goes well

Robbie F
18th Dec 2006, 03:51
Thanks Headers.

I'll tell her to carry all the remaining evidence and TB cert.

Cheers.

Rob.

peterinkendal
18th Dec 2006, 08:28
Hi Robbie,

If you are at all concerned, another option might be to find a flight going via a handy european destination, for example flying air france via paris. That way you could meet her yourself airside in Paris before boarding the same plane to lhr, thus going through immigration with her.

Peter

Headers
18th Dec 2006, 10:45
Robbie,
The advice you received from Peterinkendal is rubbish and in no way do you want to contemplate such actions. The idea stinks of somebody trying to smuggle someone into the UK.

Your wife has already successfully been approved the settlement visa so you do not need to instigate a “James Bond” mission to get your wife into the UK. She has the visa and that is what allows her entry to the UK. Just tell her be polite/sincere and have any information they MAY request to hand, it’s that easy.

Your first post mentions that you may be travelling with her. If so, you are on hand to explain anything and that's even better. If that is not the case you should still not be worried.

Flying into different airports and meeting your wife just to get her into the UK, with a granted visa already, is the most ridiculous post I have seen.

BigRed
18th Dec 2006, 11:17
The advice you received from Peterinkendal is rubbish

a bit over the top perhaps, but well meant. Not as expensive as flying to Thailand to accompany her like some members have done.

BigRed

peterinkendal
Flying into different airports and meeting your wife just to get her into the UK, with a granted visa already, is the most ridiculous post I have seen.

Headers, LHR is the busiest airport in the world. There will be no signs in Thai directing his wife to the correct place. There have been horror stories on here of new immigrants being chucked into the medical centre. I know Mol was very grateful that I was with her and that was only Manchester!

Unfortunately sometimes partners just cannot get to bangkok because of either time or finances not allowing it.

All I suggested was a cheaper way to accompany her into the UK. At least she would have someone with her who she could trust. A return ticket to Paris is surely a small price to pay for that peace of mind. Certainly I would have done that had I not had the opportunity to collect her from bangkok.

Peter

John
Headers, I think you have misread what Peterinkendal is suggesting. I think he was not suggesting smuggling anyone into the UK, but merely pointing out that if the wife was accompanied on her last leg of her journey, so that she was with her husband when going through UK immigration for the first time, that is liable to put her mind at ease.

Robbie F does not tell us where in England he is, but if a fair distance away from London, breaking the journey in somewhere like Paris, Amsterdam or Dubai, before flying on to a regional airport, means that the UK is entered in a convenient UK airport, rather than the comparative madness of Heathrow.

It should be remembered that Thais do not need transit visas, so it tends not to be a problem flying via Amsterdam etc..

ash
18th Dec 2006, 11:39
When Daeng flew back to Thailand after her first visit I booked a local flight so I could show her to the gate in Zurich and mkae sure she was okay. I have also met her airside by flying into Zurich from Basel.

Its a very good idea if her language skills are weak but its not really necessary as the visa and TB certificate will suffice.
ash

Robbie F
18th Dec 2006, 11:49
Interesting debate chaps!

But as Headers picked up, I did say in my first sentence that she'll be travelling with me! So smuggling or otherwise is not part of the equation in my case!

We're lucky in as much as she is very well educated, speaks good English and has been here to visit me before, so even if she can't fly with me it shouldn't be a problem.

I've got a flight out in Jan with EVA air and fly back mid Jan. We have a wedding ceremony (having tied the knot at the Chiang Mai Amphur in November) and then a honeymoon.

I called EVA air today to try to buy a single flight on the same plane as me from BKK to LHR. I was quoted £1300!!!!! Bearing in mind my return flight was £513 this seemed excessive! I guess its because I'm trying to buy a single ticket from BKK to LHR from the EVA office in London, but this aside it still seems ludicrous.

The agent I spoke to said we would be better off if my wife buys the single flight in Thailand.

Anyone got any good tips on buying single flights without the need for a second mortgage!?!?

Cheers,

Rob.

michael001
18th Dec 2006, 12:25
hi guys
having read peter's post, i thought it was positive post in assisting a member who might consider meeting up with someone in a european airport connecting to the uk and to accompany them through our border control. (i did not read any mention of smuggling).
o/w flights from bkk are available with EVA but not until end of FEB 07 alittle longer than you require but at 21950 + tax might be worth considering

caller
18th Dec 2006, 13:15
Robbie F,

Have a look at the "Transport" forum, there are a few threads there about one-way flights from Bkk to the UK.

My wife and step-son did the journey recently with Eva-Air, booked on-line with one of the links provided to a Thai travel agency. Total cost for two at that time (October) was just over £700. Service was excellent.

My wife chose Eva over Thai because of a couple of recommendations from Thais who post on the Thai language section and it seems everything about the flight was very good.

They had no problems finding their way through Heathrow, nor with immigration, although others appear to have had, but Ooy did have to hand over her x-rays?! Interestingly, they also asked for the address she would be staying at, she had to write it down in front of immigration, even though it was already on her landing boarding card, very odd.

Good luck.

Lucky
18th Dec 2006, 23:19
Try here (http://www.saveflights.com/country/united-kingdom.html) will give you some idea of o/w prices.

Paul tee nung
19th Dec 2006, 06:27
Sorry i not reply Rob, yes it was a single ticket with Thai airways. I am lucky because i have a friend who lives in Bkk who soughted it out for me, and it was is recomendation that i use Thai airways, my wife sat next to a Thai lady who as lived here for over 20 years and walked her through. Before she got talking to the lady next to her she asked the stewardess if she could help her and the stewardess had found at least half a dozen people on the plane who would help her. That was 3 years ago now. I see you will be with her so you will have no problems, there are plenty of flight offices in Bkk you could have got a single for yourself out there and booked two single flights from los. Whatever you do good luck.My advise is just for Thai's travelling on there own into England..

Robbie F
19th Dec 2006, 06:41
Thanks for all the replies.

My wife today contacted a travel agency in Chiang Mai and managed to get herself on the same flight as me for THB24888 single fare which is fine.

I've flown EVA a number of times and my wife flew with them alone to London when she came over last year. They are very good and the BKK-LHR route has fantastic entertainment system (personal video on demand etc). Usually cheaper than Thai and you don't have to strain to watch the one screen at the front! My wife found them good and they always have some Thai hostesses. However, I would also recommend Thai, especially if you're other half hasn't travelled on her own much.

Interestingly, my wife was told when she bought the ticket that the usual THB500 service charge is being dropped in favour of THB700 which will be charged on top of your ticket rather than having to buy a voucher in Suvvanabhumi. Apparently this is starting in Feb.

Thanks again for all the info. Visa done. Flight sorted. Just need to remember to turn up for the ceremony! :p

Rob.

KhunIanB-UK
19th Dec 2006, 09:31
Rob,

Agree with you about EVA it is easy to reserve your seats, phone on on-line, so that you ensure you are sitting next to each other. The other thing I would recommend is joining their Evergreen Club if you have not done so already. We have used them numerous times and now have their Silver Card. When checking in at Heathrow and New Bangkok Airport we were given passes to the lounges, makes the wait at the airport much more relaxing and ideal if you've missed a meal on the way to the airport.

Also we get different "reception" off of different staff at Heathrow immigration, but the unfair majority seem "rude" and full of officialdom. I would be prepared for your wife to be asked if this is her first visit, how long she is staying for, how long has she been away etc (don't make the mistake of answering for her as I did once).

Good luck and happy future.

Cheers, Ian.

sureerat9
19th Dec 2006, 09:40
when my son flew over to the uk for first time we payed
about 350 with emirates booked in bankok

Lucky
19th Dec 2006, 09:56
Also we get different "reception" off of different staff at Heathrow immigration, but the unfair majority seem "rude" and full of officialdom. I would be prepared for your wife to be asked if this is her first visit, how long she is staying for, how long has she been away etc (don't make the mistake of answering for her as I did once).

We came back through in June in this year and some little female Hitler pointed to the two little stamps in the back of my wifes passport which indicate two previously failed visa applications and said these are a problem and started cross questioning her. Now I am not at my most tolerant after the flight home and I butted in pointing to the vv, sv and ILR certificates all post dating those stamps and that her superiors had obviously seen fit since to grant her entry. I was rewarded with "I suppose it's OK then" then was waived through with a look of scorn.

Moral of the story - I don't know if intefering is good or bad, but petty officialdom is one of my pet hates and guaranteed to light my touchpaper. Win some lose some :shrug: Be prepared for anything as far as immigration is concerned, previously we had never had the slightest problem.

Headers
19th Dec 2006, 11:05
Peterinkendal please accept my apologies for my rather rash statement. In truth the slight anger is directed at our government/immigration officials. It simply annoys me that any such interogation of a Thai entering the UK should happen at all when they already have the visa. The fact that many have already had to present countless documents, plus possibly had an interview, to the the British Embassy is enough. Our very own british diplomats have approved the visa and as such why should they encounter any problems on enering the UK.

Also.....

John, I did not want to suggest, nor did I understand, a smuggling operation was actually happening but simply that such actions made it appear that the Thai person is entering unlawfully. As I mentioned my mistake was venting such anger at Peterinkendal rather than to the authorities. I do hope my apologies are excepted and that members do understand what I mean.

As mentioned have the TB certificate to hand as they seem to want this.

My g/f got a one way flight to heathrow for 16000Baht in Chiang mai with Gulf Air abot 3 weeks ago. Had to stop in Muscat for about 4 hours though.

Once again apologies for my outburst but hope you all understand where it came from.

peterinkendal
19th Dec 2006, 15:34
Peterinkendal please accept my apologies for my rather rash statement. In truth the slight anger is directed at our government/immigration officials. It simply annoys me that any such interogation of a Thai entering the UK should happen at all when they already have the visa. The fact that many have already had to present countless documents, plus possibly had an interview, to the the British Embassy is enough. Our very own british diplomats have approved the visa and as such why should they encounter any problems on enering the UK.

Yes I can understand that. I too feel that such interrigation is unjustified. Only last month had a 3 day break in Switzerland but on re-entering the UK got asked a load of questions about where we had been and how long for etcetera.

Needless to say apology accepted :thumb:

Peter