PDA

View Full Version : Flex account poss charge..?

SyThai
8th Jun 2009, 08:56
Hello everyone :)

Su reckons over the last month when her family have used the Nationawide Flex card they have been charged ?? Always used in same machine, same bank (Thai Farmers bank)

Had a look online and looks like that may be the case... where they always withdraw 10,000 a time they now have to take out 10,150.

Can anyone help us here, before I go down to Nationwide for a :argue:

Many Thanks

Lee
8th Jun 2009, 09:04
It has been talked about Sy.

See this thread. (http://thailand-uk.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4661066261/m/2161069?r=20610401#20610401)

Regards
Lee

chocolate-eater
8th Jun 2009, 10:49
Not only are nationwide charging, but the thai banks are charging a 150 baht fee too I believe.

Anyway remember the adverts with the fat bloke that claimed they did not charge and what a great bank nationwide are? Well that funny now they decided to charge. So its a double whammy for the banks and we are the ones who have to pay.

Incidentally my girlfriend text me in a panic today. The ATM would not her have any money even through there is over 20,000 baht in there. Well as a way of avoiding the atm withdrawal charge where she would take out 1,000 baht a time as and when needed she left it all to one go and decided to withdraw 10,000 now. Well computer said no as it thought it was a fraudulant transaction. So she was in a panic and of course this only happens 2 days before she is due to fly here on a visit visa and the money was needed desperate for insurance etc. Sorted now by me phoning nationwide at 6.30am this morning.

SyThai
8th Jun 2009, 10:54
Thanks chaps....

bristolgeoff
8th Jun 2009, 12:10
you missed the thread as the the other person told you it has being talked about.sorry you missed it

ddwjg
8th Jun 2009, 19:59
SyThai,(Sy and Su), Long time not on the forum eh?

(Thai Farmers bank)

Thai Farmers Bank is no more. It has been called Kasikorn Bank for several years now.

You may have been charged only the 150 baht that Thai Banks are charging. A neighbour of mine has a Flex card, and he checks his account regularly, says he has received no charge from Nationwide yet. Kasikorn and Bank of Ayudhya were the last banks in Thailand to implement the 150 baht charge.

Dave.

Terry Phillips
8th Jun 2009, 21:37
The Thai banks have been charging fron 18 April. You do get a chance to say no to accept but if you need money then you have to pay. Up until 11th may Kasikorn Bank were not charging. You will find though Nationwide will be offloading the visa charge of 1% to all cards to us card holders.

maokaang
8th Jun 2009, 23:03
Can anyone help us here, before I go down to Nationwide for a :argue: Just to make it clear Sy, it is not Nationwide making the ฿150 charge, it is the Thai banks.

At a time when tourists are already steering away from Thailand in their hundreds of thousands, the banks' only contribution is to make things worse and hand out another reason to look elsewhere for a vacation.

Check your Nationwide statements to see if any other charges are being added by them, otherwise screaming at them will get you nowhere, the ฿150 is out of their control.

Gary & Nok
9th Jun 2009, 01:02
Noks card has just been “stopped” so need to call Nationwide and try (if they will talk to me) to get this sorted.

As for all banks charging the 150 baht there is one that as of 25 May has not charged us and that is Khemarat.

I have no idea what the full name of this bank is but last ATM withdrawal was free.

Merc Fintail
9th Jun 2009, 02:01
On the up side, the exchange rate is always quite good.

ddwjg
9th Jun 2009, 02:11
Gary and Nok,

Noks card has just been “stopped” so need to call Nationwide and try (if they will talk to me) to get this sorted.

Don't fret too much over the stopped card. Periodically, as a security check, the banks put a hold on their cards that are being used abroad, to ensure they are being used by the correct user. When you have phoned, it will be up and running, almost immediately. It is for your security, so don't have too much of a go at them. There is a spate of ATM fraud (using inserts in the ATM machines to copy cards) in Thailand at present,and warnings in the press.

Dave.

Dave.

ddwjg
9th Jun 2009, 02:19
Well as a way of avoiding the atm withdrawal charge where she would take out 1,000 baht a time as and when needed she left it all to one go and decided to withdraw 10,000 now.

Hey Chocolate-eater, You had better change this policy full time. 150 baht charge is per use of card. If you only draw 1000 baht when needed, then it would be cheaper to send an inter bank transfer to a Thai bank a/c, and get a Thai ATM card. There is no charge for Thai cards.

Dave.

ddwjg
9th Jun 2009, 02:28
On the up side, the exchange rate is always quite good.

Paul and Sukanya, Yes it is very good. But now you have to draw large sums to make sure the 150 baht charge does not take away the advantage of the better rate. See my last post to chocolate-eater. Dave.

Gary & Nok
9th Jun 2009, 05:23
Originally posted by ddwjg:
Don't fret too much over the stopped card. Periodically, as a security check, the banks put a hold on their cards that are being used abroad, to ensure they are being used by the correct user. When you have phoned, it will be up and running, almost immediately. It is for your security, so don't have too much of a go at them. There is a spate of ATM fraud (using inserts in the ATM machines to copy cards) in Thailand at present,and warnings in the press.Dave.

Not worrying too much as this has happened to me before. The only problem is that card is with the family :( but having spoken to Nationwide
(New Post Here (http://thailand-uk.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4661066261/m/898107531)) will see if it is a problem.

Mark W
9th Jun 2009, 06:04
I mentioned this charge a couple of months back.

Here (http://thailand-uk.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4661066261/m/55210535?r=83610806#83610806)

BTW UOB (United Overseas Bank) ATM machines are still not charging the 150 baht.

SyThai
9th Jun 2009, 10:45
Blimey quite a few more posts since yestarday....Thank you for all your comments :)

SyThai,(Sy and Su), Long time not on the forum eh?

Yes I know very slack sorry, there was a time when there wasnt more than about 8 hours when I went with out looking on here... Still I always know where to come for the best advice, help and support. And never forgot without help of Thailand-Uk Su probably wouldnt be here now :thumb:

Su has nearly got through her ESOL at last, one more exam to pass this Friday (passed 2 already)so will be back on here a lot more finding out about all that and what to do next to get naturalisation, passport etc :crazy:

Just to make it clear Sy, it is not Nationwide making the ฿150 charge, it is the Thai banks.

Thought as much :mad: