richardb
15th May 2008, 10:56
Take a guess how much.

richardb
15th May 2008, 10:56
Take a guess how much.

Roberrrt
15th May 2008, 11:41
Admiral The Lord West of Spithead GCB DSC Parliamentary Under Secretary of State )

aka Alan West - no1 ABBA fan :lol:

Rob

JohnSwansea
15th May 2008, 13:29
Is it my fancy, or is this becoming a name-dropper's forum - only the other day Lord Tobias was in the Hilton with his lordly chums. I wouldn't be surprised if in future, one would have to have distinguished referees to breathe the rarified atmosphere of this forum.
Apparently, my lineage goes back to being a cousin of Lord Nelson on one side of the family, and the Earl of Southampton on the other... ooooh ! but how I have fallen upon hard times my friends -- lend us a guinea :cry:

axel1974
15th May 2008, 22:48
am afraid the nearest i get to celebrities involves queuing with the premiership footballers in tesco and drinking establishments in yarm high street.

i still havent had a pint off gary pallister yet

dan&ploy
16th May 2008, 03:39
I have worked with a few knobs in my time. :angel:

JohnSwansea
16th May 2008, 05:26
have worked with a few knobs in my time
I thought I remembered you ! Walking Street wasn't it ? :lol:
... oops. Better be careful or the POWERS THAT BE will move this topic to the Departure Lounge :D

Roberrrt
16th May 2008, 11:47
Richard,
Sorry if I have sent your post off at a tangent. I just thought the (alleged) ABBA connection was funny.
To rectify things do you know which single ABBA released in November 1976 ?

You guessed it....Money, Money, Money

Rob

KhunIanB-UK
17th May 2008, 19:44
I think it is likely to be the £500,000,000 as there are so many things that need to be taken into consideration (http://www.benwallacemp.com/expenses.htm)

richardb
19th May 2008, 09:30
Well Money, money, money is the nub of it.

The answer is .........

the BIA will raise 100 milion pounds more in visa fees this year than it spends in providing the service. It makes roughly 20% profit on each application.

Remember when the time comes vote early and vote often.
;)

Richard

JohnSwansea
19th May 2008, 11:55
Remember when the time comes vote early and vote often.
Unfortunately Richard, I think its a case of "Whoever you voted for, the Government got in". It's as true now as it was in the seventies. The political parties seem to be competing to see who can kick immigrants the hardest. To me, they haven't a bloody clue that we now live in a global village or how to act accordingly - and that goes for Thailand too.
Hey .... I think I'm rediscovering the anger and idealism of my youth. :mad:

Roberrrt
19th May 2008, 14:21
I've got to admit I'm surprised that there is deliberate profiteering on such a scale. But I dont think the Conservatives will reduce the fees. If anything they'll make it harder still to apply, and probably increase the fees inorder to maintain this level of income.
100 million is a heck of alot of money, but I wonder how much is sent back to foreign countries by those who come to live and work here. Thats all money that has gone from our economy and won't be circulating to our benefit here.( I'm not saying it won't be doing some good to those who are receiving needed assistance ).

Rob