PDA

View Full Version : Is it true to say that............

stylethai
20th Jan 2008, 08:05
When you have passed the life in the Uk test for the ILR visa and got the visa, you don't have to sit anymore tests again for a British passport?

Cheers...Mark.

stylethai
20th Jan 2008, 08:05
When you have passed the life in the Uk test for the ILR visa and got the visa, you don't have to sit anymore tests again for a British passport?

Cheers...Mark.

axel1974
20th Jan 2008, 08:09
that is correct mark

once that test is passed, you are in the clear

what a relief eh?

thats why i pestered bee to keep on attempting the test, even though she was becoming very frustrated. 6 tests later and relief is the word

oldoldgit
20th Jan 2008, 08:54
I heard a rumour that another new test was about to be introduced, how to speak like the Queen, example: air hair lair! (oh hello!) :)

stylethai
20th Jan 2008, 09:18
Originally posted by axel1974:
that is correct mark

once that test is passed, you are in the clear

what a relief eh?

thats why i pestered bee to keep on attempting the test, even though she was becoming very frustrated. 6 tests later and relief is the word

Thats what i thought, the wife will be glad to know that!!!
She did 107 practice exams on britishness-test.co.uk (http://britishness-test.co.uk) and did not open the book once and passed second time!!!...Because Par does not read english that well, she found it a lot easier to do it this way.

Thanks for ya help......Mark.

axel1974
20th Jan 2008, 10:05
in my opinion its best to avoid the practise tests online, as unless the grammar is 100% the same it can cause confusion

we go there by going through the chapters in the book and making notes based on the highlighted points.

axel1974
20th Jan 2008, 10:16
my wife tried loads of practise tests and regularly obtained 100% on them

didnt seem to make a difference when she came to the real test, as she failed 5 times

study based on the source material will cover all the bases

unless they have the list of exact questions, their database may not be accurate.

my info can only be based on the test sites we used. there are so many out there that it would be difficult to compare them all

for this reason i personally would stay away from them. we are of course all different though and we learn in different ways. what works for one of us may not work for the rest

i wish all thais the best of luck with the test as i know its not easy. anyone whose first language is already english has an immediate advantage on a thai when it comes to the test. would be nice if they appreciated the extra effort it takes a thai to study and pass the test

stylethai
20th Jan 2008, 10:28
Thats very true Axel, as we all know whats good for one maybe not be so good for someone else.

:)

axel1974
20th Jan 2008, 10:52
i guess the important thing is trying to understand the wording of the question you are being asked...... not just supplying the correct answer.

colin244
20th Jan 2008, 10:55
Agreed each to their own but as Dao has not taken the test yet she is learning the reading by looking at everything she sees and learning that way including gems from work signs she copies then brings home for explanation like:-

"mobile phones switch off at all times use break and lunch times only"

"this is a quiet room no talking no eating no drinking thank you"

"if there are any problems with this printer please do not try to fix it report to the tct office immediately this includes paper jams thank you"

We are also working our way through books for 4 year olds with big spaced out repetitive words and for us this method is working well!
colin 244

KhunIanB-UK
20th Jan 2008, 11:13
Remember though that for first time applicants of a British Passport who are over 16 an interview will be required :cool:

Check out here (http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/interviews.asp)

Been practicing with Aom:- Come on mate I'm Bri'ish ain't I, jus give us me passport and I'll be on me way! Don't want to miss me flight to Torremelenos does I! How much! Bleedin daylight robbery, when I was a kid they was alf that, no they was alf alf that, bleedin heck better get meself another giro cashed!

Just got to get her to pile on a few pounds and she should sail through :D

axel1974
20th Jan 2008, 11:27
dont forget to take the tourettes parrot with you to the interview

YouTube - Tourettes Parrot

i have to get one of these