PDA

View Full Version : Does the UK embassy operate a quota policy for visa applications ?

Rich & Orasa
15th Aug 2007, 08:45
I was talking to a friend last Saturday. I've known him for twenty years and he's been holidaying in Thailand (or specifically Pattaya) as often as possible for that entire 20 year period, and a few more years besides. He's convinced that the British Embassy operates some form of quota system for sucessful applications or refusals. When I asked him why he was so convinced, he said that he had talked to people in bars who claimed to work for the Embassy or claimed to know people who claimed to work for the Embassy etc. I've no idea if such policy actually exists but, out of curiousity, what do others think ?

(Apologies if this has been done to death already)

Rich & Orasa
15th Aug 2007, 08:45
I was talking to a friend last Saturday. I've known him for twenty years and he's been holidaying in Thailand (or specifically Pattaya) as often as possible for that entire 20 year period, and a few more years besides. He's convinced that the British Embassy operates some form of quota system for sucessful applications or refusals. When I asked him why he was so convinced, he said that he had talked to people in bars who claimed to work for the Embassy or claimed to know people who claimed to work for the Embassy etc. I've no idea if such policy actually exists but, out of curiousity, what do others think ?

(Apologies if this has been done to death already)

Tobias
15th Aug 2007, 09:01
No - well at least, not yet!

mellowsailor
15th Aug 2007, 09:36
Why on earth should anybody give credence to the opinion of a tourist formed from conversations in bars in Pattaya?

Skippy
15th Aug 2007, 10:37
I don't know about a quota system, but like any British industry or service (say the NHS for example)
I am convinced they operate "a work to rule" type policy and only process X amount per week etc etc.

Sorry to offend anybody - but what is really in it for an embassy employee to process more visas per week?

:blush:

- Skippy

Roberrrt
15th Aug 2007, 11:03
If there was a quota then we'd know about it. The govt wouldn't be scared of letting people know - in fact it would probably be a big vote winner for them !
I think there is some merit in the view that applications can become harder when the auditing period comes to a close, if a large percentage of applications have been successful in that period.
To be fair, the VAC system will probably allow more applications to be processed and hence more visas to be issued, whilst staying within an acceptable % of approvals/rejections.

Rob

richardb
16th Aug 2007, 03:38
THe Statistics year on year for entry clearance are here

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMa...ge&cid=1006977150151 (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1006977150151)

for 2005/2006 for example 91% of visitors visas were granted whilst in 2004/2005 95% were granted.

For 2005/2006 85% of settlement visas were granted and 91% of non settlement visas.

Richard

Chris4Cat
16th Aug 2007, 05:00
I was in a bar in Pattaya and one of the girls was convinced that if you told the Embassy that you met your partner in ***insert a place*** rather than in ***insert a different place*** then you'd get the visa.

I'm convinced that visa agencies spread rumours to get money out of people. It's a way of bluffing the applicant into thinking that the visa agency has inside knowledge or special privileges to get the visa.

This one sounds like "there's a quota, a secret quota issued to staff, and depending on week/month it's easier/harder to get. I know a person who works there who can tell me when it the best time to apply, so if you give me 100,000 baht I can guarantee success."

Or am I being cynical?

OK, they have a percentage, so they obviously keep score!! And if it went to 100% then maybe they'd change the rules?

Christopher

P.S. - I voted no

oldoldgit
16th Aug 2007, 06:38
After being told interview will be in two months time when applying for SV, asked for money back and was told comeback that afternoon and pick up visa,so they are very flexible.
Voted yes

mellowsailor
16th Aug 2007, 08:06
OK, they have a percentage, so they obviously keep score!! And if it went to 100% then maybe they'd change the rules?
I guess it's more like sales figures really. If there's a large deviation from the current norm anywhere, or from historical trends, they'd probably want to investigate whether there are special local factors, or whether the rules are being applied properly. That doesn't mean there's a quota.
In fact there have been quotas for such things as work permits. A few years ago there were some "Sector Based Schemes" where a certain number of visas were dished out for workers in several defined industries such as hotels and catering to come for a limited period - the scheme was so totally abused that they were discontinued, and the only such schemes are now reserved for Bulgarians and Romanians working in, I think, the fish processing and agricultural sectors.
I don't think there are any quotas for settlement or visit visas. I would take any gossip in a Pattaya bar with a huge spoonful of Nam Pla