PDA

View Full Version : Register with GP - proof of marriage

Ian in Issan
23rd May 2007, 06:36
Hi

I would like to register my wife with our local GP. She has been in England for 2 weeks now on a Settlement Visa. However i am anticipating a problem which might occur.

As we only had two days after getting the visa before we flew back to England we were unable to change her passport/ID card or translate our thai marriage certificate. I understand from other discussions its ok for her to keep her maden name but would they require proof of marriage, if so what could i give them they would understand!?

Many thanks for any advice you can give.
Ian and Mot

Ian in Issan
23rd May 2007, 06:36
Hi

I would like to register my wife with our local GP. She has been in England for 2 weeks now on a Settlement Visa. However i am anticipating a problem which might occur.

As we only had two days after getting the visa before we flew back to England we were unable to change her passport/ID card or translate our thai marriage certificate. I understand from other discussions its ok for her to keep her maden name but would they require proof of marriage, if so what could i give them they would understand!?

Many thanks for any advice you can give.
Ian and Mot

Noi & Nick
23rd May 2007, 06:49
The GP may accept her sv as proof of the marriage. Ask them what they require.

However there are other situations where you will need a translation of the marriage certificate. There are many agencies in the UK who will do this for you, but at a greater cost than having it done in LOS.

Rich & Orasa
23rd May 2007, 06:51
I would have thought that the fact that your wife has a spouse visa in her passport would do just fine.

Rich

Tobias
23rd May 2007, 06:54
All they need to be concerned about is her status in the UK. The passport should be enough - just mention that you are now married and your wife has assumed your surname.

Lucky
23rd May 2007, 07:42
Our GP did not ask for any documentation. Just asked my wife to go in for a checkup and that was it!

Ian in Issan
23rd May 2007, 07:57
Thanks guys :thumb:

Spouse Visa. Doh! seems so obvious now lol

Mark W
23rd May 2007, 08:34
A few more tips about what you need to do now your wife is here can be found.

HERE (http://thailand-uk.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/65010002/m/89410087)

Tony & Apple
23rd May 2007, 09:37
I understand from other discussions its ok for her to keep her maden name

my wife has kept her own surname and we have never had any problems so far.

if you know your GP well then thinks should be ok even without the marriage cert. my wife registered at the GP when she was on a fiancee visa!

after registration the first thing to do is the smear test if your wife is over 25.

as letters from the NHS are a very good source of evidence for the ILR application later on as is the medical card.

Mark W
23rd May 2007, 09:54
after registration the first thing to do is the smear test.

If your sexually active that is. :angel:

Tony & Apple
23rd May 2007, 10:46
Cervical screening test (http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?ArticleID=95) saves lives

Cervical screening saves up to 1000 lives a year in England and Wales.

i would recommend any woman over 25. sexually active or a virgin to have this test.

Women who are not sexually active:
The risk of cervical cancer is very low in women who have never been sexually active. As the risk is so low, women in this category might choose not to have a cervical screening test. However, if a woman is not currently in a sexual relationship, but has been in the past, it's a good idea to continue with regular cervical screening.

notice the words 'very low'

yes a low risk but still a risk that a free test can prevent for women between 25-64.

Regular screening can stop up to 75 per cent of cancers developing,

department of health info (http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4126872)

the department of health clearly states the test is offered to all women between 25 - 64 years old not just those who are sexually active.

Phillip & Joy
23rd May 2007, 11:08
I've just approached my surgery about this very thing and was told that all we need to do is bring the marriage certificate and passport and then she can be registered with a GP.

They didnt mention the TB certificate to me but we will take that along anyway.

With regard to her name, Joy having kept her own name, the visa in the passport clearly states "spouse of......". Therein lies proof further to the marriage certificate that she is my wife.

Phillip

Skippy
23rd May 2007, 11:19
I don't know if has changed since we did 2 years ago because they asked for nothing - even when I tried to offer both our passports Aussie and Thai to show visa etc the said "not necessary"....

I think they should at least have checked our visas!

No wonder the NHS is in such a sorry state!! :(

- Skippy :cool:

PS before anyone "flames me" - I would say that of course the majority of members here have partners that are entitled to use the NHS and I don't begriudge them that at all - as we are all tax payers etc etc.

Also despite certain members saying I don't understand what reciprocal arrangements are, I do realise that Australia and Britain do have reciprocal health arrangements - so I was entitled even before I started paying my taxes here.

thongchai
23rd May 2007, 11:43
Same as us Skippy , registered a couple of month,s ago and no documents required by GP :shrug:

Cheers Andy

Mark W
23rd May 2007, 12:31
Originally posted by A&A:
the department of health clearly states the test is offered to all women between 25 - 64 years old not just those who are sexually active.

My last post was tongue in cheek,I dought anyone who has just married will not be sexually active. hence the :angel:

The topic I linked to in the previous post states

1. Register your partner with a Doctor. Your partner will then be sent a N.H.S medical card. If your partner has not had many vaccinations then you should get these done and also for ladies they should be registed on the list for smear tests.

mick j.
23rd May 2007, 13:00
The thai consulate in Hull have a translation service.I had to use it after the British embassy in Bangkok kindly lost my translations (and they claimed that they never had them).

Tony & Apple
23rd May 2007, 14:28
My last post was tongue in cheek,I dought anyone who has just married will not be sexually active. hence the

sorry mark :thumb:
but anyway good to have that info on the site

Mark W
23rd May 2007, 15:15
Originally posted by A&A:

but anyway good to have that info on the site

Deffo

caller
23rd May 2007, 15:24
Well, heres my tuppence worth with not a lot new to add. The GP surgery asked to see passports to confirm the visa. Quite right and proper too.

I would respect less a practise that doesn't follow the rules. If they can't get the basics right, what else would you trust them with? Both the missus, little'un and I had all sorts of tests (BP & cholesteral fine, thanks). I changed my GP at the time Ooy arrived as mine was many miles away.

As for medicare in Oz, great reciprical agreement. Broke the ankle out there many years ago and needed it operated on. Most was private via the insurance, but getting the cast sorted out was a problem. Its helped me with other treatments and medicines over the years as well!

A memorable time was when my sister decided my egg allergy was all in my mind and fed me a mousse heaped with the stuff - within 30 minutes I was having all sorts of treatment to reduce the swelling in my mouth, throat, windpipe etc. She was more scared than me. I was used to it. I can now eat Yorkshire pud and egg fried rice but not at the same time, and the latter more Chinese style than Thai.

colin244
24th May 2007, 09:59
We took the TB Cert when registering Dao at my GP'S however the Nurse who did the Health Check said she had never seen one before in 20 years of Nursing despite the Cert stating when registering with a GP in the UK show this Certificate!

The Nurse did however take a copy to keep on Dao's file

Apart from that just the Passport with FLR needed
colin 244

astasinim
24th May 2007, 15:01
Noi was never asked for any documentation. Our doctor said he would see anyone regardless of their status in the country, as a persons health is more important and its not his job to monitor people coming into the country.

His words not mine.

Although my wife had a TB cert, the NHS still insisted on her taking the test here too. :confused: What a waste of NHS time and money.

Skippy
4th Jun 2007, 10:36
Our doctor said he would see anyone regardless of their status in the country, as a persons health is more important and its not his job to monitor people coming into the country.

Part of me says good on him - but another part says no wonder the NHS is broke.

Skippy

astasinim
4th Jun 2007, 12:46
Originally posted by Skippy:
Part of me says good on him - but another part says no wonder the NHS is broke.

Skippy

Couldnt agree more.

The left hand doesnt know what the right hand is doing. Its the ladies and gents on the front line i feel sorry for.