PDA

View Full Version : what test?

j visser
29th Mar 2007, 04:49
hi my wife lek is going for interview for ESOL course on april 4th and hope to get on course soon after. her reading and writing is very good but spelling not so good. we are applying for ILR next year iam reading on this forum about life in uk test, citizenship test,esol test,which one does lek need todo for ILR or does all these amount to one test

j visser
29th Mar 2007, 04:49
hi my wife lek is going for interview for ESOL course on april 4th and hope to get on course soon after. her reading and writing is very good but spelling not so good. we are applying for ILR next year iam reading on this forum about life in uk test, citizenship test,esol test,which one does lek need todo for ILR or does all these amount to one test

Noi & Nick
29th Mar 2007, 06:28
She needs to

either

Pass the Life in the UK test

or

Successfully complete an ESOL language course which uses citizenship materials.

More details here. (http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/knowledgeoflifeintheuk)

From what you say I reckon the test would be the better option; it is multiple choice so her spelling wont be tested.

thongchai
29th Mar 2007, 06:52
hi Nick from the link you gave. I then went to the life in the uk website and there saw the first edition book and the second ,Life in the UK - A Journey to Citizenship 2nd Edition (2007)
Published: 26th March 2007 ISBN 10: 0113413130 Price: £9.99

is this the book some of us have been waiting for ?

cheers Andy

Noi & Nick
29th Mar 2007, 06:55
I think so.

rolyshark
29th Mar 2007, 07:00
Between 2nd April and 2nd July 2007 any applicants for the test can choose which version of the test they want to sit,dependant on which edition they have studied.
Tests after 2nd July will be based solely on the 2nd Edition.

John
29th Mar 2007, 07:57

I don't think so, in the sense that I think anyone who can wait needs to do so, and then buy the study guide based upon the new book. Expected date of release of the new version of the study guide is about 3 weeks time.

thongchai
29th Mar 2007, 08:10
ok, ta for advice, will wait for the study guide to come out ,

cheers Andy

tiny
29th Mar 2007, 08:30
hi guys my wife is doing the esol corse at the moement with my local collage, they do a quick test at the collage when she goes and they will grade her there.
the esol corse consistes of reading and listening speaking and writing with uk living included my wife is doing level two and doing fine, when she complets the corse she will get the papper work for applying for uk citerzenship.
the wife is finding corse quick easy to do and she is doing level two witch is all the govenment need you to pass.
hope this helps tiny

Andy22
29th Mar 2007, 08:58
Hi Everyone

Do not hold your breath for the new edition. It was scheduled to be out 31st Jan, then Feb 20th, then March ? I will believe it when I see it.

Andy 22

peterinkendal
29th Mar 2007, 11:40
Originally posted by Andy22:
Hi Everyone

Do not hold your breath for the new edition. It was scheduled to be out 31st Jan, then Feb 20th, then March ? I will believe it when I see it.

Andy 22

then believe it now - just bought my copy today from wh smith.

Definitely the right one - got a forward from the home secretary and clearly states that it is the home office study guide for tests taken after 2 april.

Peter

sole187
29th Mar 2007, 12:47
hi . if possible would anyone be able to post the isbn number for the book so that i can look for it on whsmith online?

was having trouble finding the right one before.

many thanks
Steve

thongchai
29th Mar 2007, 13:00
hi Steve just type "life in the uk study guide" in whs site search, and you should get the books there
cheers Andy

sole187
29th Mar 2007, 13:10
thanks for that. I'm getting the 2nd and 3rd edition when I type that in. Is it the 3rd that I need?

thongchai
29th Mar 2007, 13:46
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/whs/go.asp
that link should be more clear , as i am not :confused:

but on John's advice there is still one more book to come out in about 3 weeks so i will wait til then to get one and maybe then can purchase one through a link from T-UK to Amazon

cheers Andy

sorry steve that link is'nt going to correct page

peterinkendal
29th Mar 2007, 14:22
isbn no 978-0-11-341313-3

Peter

sole187
29th Mar 2007, 14:31
thats great thanks all for your help.

peterinkendal
29th Mar 2007, 14:33
Originally posted by John:

I don't think so, in the sense that I think anyone who can wait needs to do so, and then buy the study guide based upon the new book. Expected date of release of the new version of the study guide is about 3 weeks time.

quote from the new home office published life in the uk - a journey to citizenship.

"we would also advise you to think carefully before purchasing any of the 'study guides' to the life in the uk test which can sometimes be found in bookshops or on the internet. None of these are officilly approved, even though some suggest they are, and may not be of much help to you. Some might even mislead you by suggesting that you memorise answers to questions that aren't genuine and are very different to the ones you will be asked in your test"

from page 4 - preface, paragraph 5.

Peter