PDA

View Full Version : Cost of ESOL Courses

Peter
7th Jul 2007, 02:49
Free ESOL courses appear to be a thing of the past. If you are on benefits the cost of a course in Rochester is only £12.

We are paying costs £80 per year per class for an ESOL course in Rochester, but in Maidstone a similar course will cost £440 per year. Some variation. :eek:

How much are people paying in other parts of the country?

Peter
7th Jul 2007, 02:49
Free ESOL courses appear to be a thing of the past. If you are on benefits the cost of a course in Rochester is only £12.

We are paying costs £80 per year per class for an ESOL course in Rochester, but in Maidstone a similar course will cost £440 per year. Some variation. :eek:

How much are people paying in other parts of the country?

db1
7th Jul 2007, 03:02
In Reading the new course that starts in September is going to cost about five hundred pounds

smarty
7th Jul 2007, 05:46
Pat starts her ESOL Course in Broadstairs, Kent, on Monday.
Part-time (2 Hours on Mon, Tues & Thurs). Total 6 Hours costs £50 (£8-33 per hour). We are told will be FREE when she has been married AND lived in UK for 1 Year. Married 14 Feb 2007. Arrived UK 8 June 2007. Therefore free for her from 8 June 2008 !! Unless things change again, of course. I do not work following redundancy & frankly consider myself "Retired" now. Pat does not work yet. Because I have a VERY modest private income we receive no state benefits. A case of PAY UP or SHUT UP I'm afraid.

adam
7th Jul 2007, 07:47
My wife is currently on an ESOL course in Tamworth and has been there about 3 months now. I was told by the college it is a free course as I pay tax and she is lawfully married to me.

The college have asked me to contact them about the new term starting in September to 'see if Noi can still attend for free'. I suspect there may be a charge coming in September but by then Noi will be close to applying for her ILR in November.

Fingers crossed times two.

Adam and Noi.

John Kelly
7th Jul 2007, 08:46
just registered my wife for an esol 570 pound for the 1st year then free once we have been married for a year and forty eight pounds for a test before she starts ,
at all colleges in manchester

j visser
7th Jul 2007, 09:45
hi my wife is going for appointment wed for esol course all that about being free after one year of marraige as changed in my area (orpington kent) we have been married for 18months the lady at the collage who i spoke to said that unless we are on benifits(which we can,t claim)it will cost £400 a year.unless your from an EU country then its free.

colin244
7th Jul 2007, 15:05
Serious baht down here but the Lady is worth it :thumb:
colin 244

andy muay thai
7th Jul 2007, 17:17
if your wife can read english, just get the books, learn them, study hard and do the test, my sa has been here 5 months, she has been reading the citizenship book and sample questions, and did the mock exam on the website and passed 95 % and she hasnt got to apply til jan 08. i suppose it all depends if your wife and read and write, and understand english, i am lucky sa, has passed all this in BKK. GOOD LUCK

colin244
7th Jul 2007, 18:04
apply til jan 08. i suppose it all depends if your wife and read and write, and understand english,

Andy,
Unfortunately mine can't like many here although speaking is not a problem so course/test for us
colin 244

tiny
7th Jul 2007, 19:14
hi guys in hertfordshire the corse is 440 a year as of next september my wifes teacher had told her that it had been brought in with goverment change of visa requirments . in over words so they can screw more money out of law abiding people...sorry about moan and spelling lol....tiny :argue: :argue: