PDA

View Full Version : problems looking for work.

bilbo
24th Apr 2007, 11:44
My wife has recently started looking for work in her field of expertise.She worked in a shop before for a couple of weeks but her English was not good enough. She has spent the last 15 months getting her English up to speed schools private college ect.
My wife is a skilled PCB assembler
People at employment agencies seem to make life more difficult than they need to because she is Thai I think. They want papers to prove that she can do the job which she doesn't have and can't possibly get, because there are no such papers not even for those English people who work here I believe English people only have their Cv stating the places they previously worked.
I feel sure if I walked into an agency and said I was a bricklayer they would not ask me to prove it.
I find the women who work in these offices are the worst when dealing with my wife they appear to be very biased and ask many irrelevant questions
I wonder if other Thais have had the same problems.
Or is it just me being picky?

bilbo
24th Apr 2007, 11:44
My wife has recently started looking for work in her field of expertise.She worked in a shop before for a couple of weeks but her English was not good enough. She has spent the last 15 months getting her English up to speed schools private college ect.
My wife is a skilled PCB assembler
People at employment agencies seem to make life more difficult than they need to because she is Thai I think. They want papers to prove that she can do the job which she doesn't have and can't possibly get, because there are no such papers not even for those English people who work here I believe English people only have their Cv stating the places they previously worked.
I feel sure if I walked into an agency and said I was a bricklayer they would not ask me to prove it.
I find the women who work in these offices are the worst when dealing with my wife they appear to be very biased and ask many irrelevant questions
I wonder if other Thais have had the same problems.
Or is it just me being picky?

upcountry
24th Apr 2007, 11:59
bilbo
My mum used to have 6 of these companies, its not just thai people, , they are in the business of making money, they advertise jobs which they dont have vacancies for just to get people on there books. They like to start off with giving you the lower end work to see if you are responsible etc, they dont make it easy.
I cant stand them, I found the best ways of dealing with these type of people is to flirt with them, and they will go out there way if you are a bit cocky. Thats office ladies for you I think....

Dave C
24th Apr 2007, 12:36
Speaking of Agencies for employment, Nat has had problems trying to get any kind of work and when I went to one I was asked if I was allowed to work in the u.k and bring proof that I could!! Bear in mind im 6'2 whiter than white with a heavy northern accent, It made me feel like I had not been born in this country and was quite shocked. Surely there is something going wrong.

upcountry
24th Apr 2007, 12:52
I am afraid they all have to do it these days, my company did it as well... New government guidlines I am afraid..

galahad
24th Apr 2007, 14:19
My wife was advised to use 'Naric', an officially recognised company who can give a comparable recognition of her accounting degree(thailand).
This was to help her find a job more suited to her skills;but due to the lack of oppurtunities of normal accounting jobs in our area she is going to take an NVQ (accounting)course just to give her an 'uk qualification'and so improve her chances.
She did apply to some agencies via the internet;but the jobs they would send to her were just ridiclous...i.e Senior Management £50000+ per year.
Her jobs so far have been 5 mths in a packaging factory and presently 2 mths working in a hotel.
Not something she had in mind I think! :bah:But I think she realises its harder for 'foreigners'to climb up the ladder...I,ve come to the conclusion that the only way to get ahead quickly is to know the right people(unfortunately I don,t);but that applies to everyone.
I guess locality makes a difference too....maybes if we lived down south there would probably be more availability.
Bilbo,I wouldn,t have thought your lass would need good communication skills for Pcb assembly?
I don,t know where you live..but have you tried the local job centres(rather than these employment agencies).
There always seems to be plenty of factory/industrial work :nod:

kanjana
24th Apr 2007, 23:43
Hi Bilbo, ring the companies that do the work that she is interested in and find out which agencies they use to supply the labour and join them. My wife has just finished a 6 month stint of PCB assembly (got bored with sitting all day). She had not previously done this type of work and managed to get the job by passing a dexterity and colour blind test when she joined the agency. Shame you dont live in this area cos the company was advertising recentley for more staff.

Doggsy
24th Apr 2007, 23:51
what is pcb assembly?

kanjana
24th Apr 2007, 23:56
Sticking the right components in the right holes of Printed Circuit Boards.

Boo
25th Apr 2007, 02:00
I've never been to an agency that didn't ask for proof that I can do the job or at least have some expereince of the work I am applying for so I think the op's post, athough I can understand the frustration of his wife not being able to find work, is placing blame on people who's reputation relies of providing competent staff for the jobs they are paid to fill.

Nothing IMO to do with her being thai but more likely as he has already admitted, she has no documentation or references to prove that she is capable of doing the job.

Easy to blame things on english poeple or specifically in the op's case Englsih women (got issues?) when in fact getting his wife on a vocational training course would probably have been a better option IMO. My husband applied in his first year for Christmas work packing in a factory, he didn't get the job as he had no experience I don't blame the factory as they are in the business of making money so would take a chance on someone who has done that job before instead of him.

bilbo
25th Apr 2007, 11:18
My husband applied in his first year for Christmas work packing in a factory, he didn't get the job as he had no experience I don't blame the factory as they are in the business of making money so would take a chance on someone who has done that job before instead of him.

Boo
I take on board what you have said in your post and what you have said is correct but you just had to be there to understand.
As to the above quote students are usualy employed for xmas packing with no experience so would not be quite as understanding as you for refusal of employment.
I don't have issues with English women any more :lol:

galahad
25th Apr 2007, 11:39
Gotta agree with Bilbo there Boo;at my wifes ex place of employment it was a case of pulling in anyone who would do the job!!
Packagings bloody hard work...depending on the size of the packaging and the repetitiveness of it all.
Most(all Uk people only lasted a day or 2);they either didn,t come back...or they weren,t asked back(if they couldn,t use the glue gun properly etc).
Only people that can /will stick it out are the 'foreign' imports...but eventually they all go home(Lithuania,Ukraine etc)after doing it for a few months.
I,m surprised your hubby got knocked back Boo..I caN assure there are no special skills needed!..just the ability to 'endure'(as my wife would say :cry:)

bilbo
25th Apr 2007, 11:43
By the way I have yet to meet a Thai woman personaly who is doing a job other than cleaning or simple shop work although many are capable of doing much better.
Bilbo.

colin244
25th Apr 2007, 13:32
bilbo,
:clap:
colin 244

galahad
25th Apr 2007, 13:57
I think i read,a good while back,that one or two members wifes had reasonable(well,good paying,respectable etc ;))jobs;but that was some time ago.
To be honest I think thai women get a better shot at making things happen in the UK(might take some time though!),than 'falang' would ever get in their partners country.

Boo
26th Apr 2007, 00:23
there was nothing in the op with any basis that his wife was being discriminated against. OP specified she didn't have refs or certification & the employment agency needed that. Where does that prove that she is being treated differently becuase she is thai.? Which was the tone of the op.

Just pointing out that not everything is to do with people looking down on thai people or thai women. Just an excuse IMO. At the facotry that Christmas ubby was the only non caucasion & of the people he spoke to in the waiting room, they were mainly eastern europeans. So maybe they prefer them guys, who knows. Not gonna start speculating on it.

It took more than 2 years for hubby to find work outside of a restaurant. He got comments from agencies ranging to no expereince or proof of qualification to "need to speak english" (he is fluent in reading, writing & speaking!) I'm not gonna complain that this is down to the men or women in the agency giving him a hard time for being thai!!!

He now has a good job in a school but it took a lo ng time, so he did what was avaiable at te time which was restarant work & he was then able to apply for other roles with refs from the restaurant which made all the difference.

Oh & we know a few thai women who work in a range of jobs, from cleaning to shop work to american express travel currency officer.

Anyway, Just playing devils advocate here but I hope your wife finds something soon.

baitong
26th Apr 2007, 03:54
Hi, just thought you might like to hear from a Thai wife's aspect. I am having a reasonable job at a university although it's still way far from what I had done in Thailand. It's been hard for me to accept it since I believe I am capable to do much better, I however do understand the situation. Apart from lacking of adequate communication skills for better position (i.e for writing report, taking minute, project planning), I also didn't have UK reference. What should I expected from employers?

I didn't waste much time complaining about it, instead I started to improve myself by working voluntarily with a charity which offered me chances to work in charity shop, office and work with children. My CV looks a lot better with UK experiences and references on top of higher confident in communication. I personally do agree with Boo. I just took what was available at the time then apply for other better one.

Although cleaning, care or catering assistant is not a desirable job but I know Thai wives who have BA/BSc are doing it with optimistic attitude.

Best wishes for all Thai wives.

IanB
26th Apr 2007, 04:28
Bilbo,

I have mentioned before that my (ex?) wife and one of her Thai friends are Home Care Assistants. This involves driving around various people's homes and providing services such as medicating, bathing, help with household chores, shopping,etc.. This type of job is increasingly a skilled occupation, and both ladies have been awarded NVQ level 3 already, and are still attending traning at least once per month. Pay is good, and obviously the job has a very high level of responsiblity, dealing with day to day problems and sometimes quite major issues along with other professional care services.

I would recommend this as a career to any Thai lady able to drive and with a reasonable standard of English. Both ladies concerned absolutely love their jobs and are really proud of what they do.

Ian

bilbo
26th Apr 2007, 13:26
We received an email today from an employment agency the guy said and I quote after reading your wifes cv the electronics firm we are dealing with are very interested can you please call into the office to register.
no silly questions just emailed an honest cv fingers crossed :thumb:
Bilbo

colin244
26th Apr 2007, 13:44
bilbo,

Good luck :thumb:
colin 244

bilbo
28th Apr 2007, 01:28
The wif went for an interview at the agency yesterday
I think she has her first good job just depends on a skills test at the factory the wages are excellent upto 12 pounds an hour 37 hours a week *OT :clap:

galahad
28th Apr 2007, 01:53
Nearly £450pw for factory work!
You must live in London Bilbo ;)I bet your lass will think all her xmasses have come all at once..nearly £2000 a mth :thumb:
Gissa a job :p
Well done to your wife..i,m sure she,ll pass the skills test

Noi & Nick
28th Apr 2007, 02:04
Originally posted by baitoong:
I didn't waste much time complaining about it, instead I started to improve myself by working voluntarily with a charity which offered me chances to work in charity shop, office and work with children. My CV looks a lot better with UK experiences and references on top of higher confident in communication. Spot on, Baitoong.

I think the main problem any immigrant has in finding work suited to their skills and previous employment is the difficulty UK employers may have in checking foreign references. (I'm not talking about large multi national companies here) So getting out there and doing work, any work, to build up UK experience must be a good idea.

bilbo
28th Apr 2007, 12:59
Nearly £450pw for factory work!
You must live in London Bilbo WinkI bet your lass will think all her xmasses have come all at once..nearly £2000 a mth Thumbs Up
Gissa a job Razzer

Galahad
I said upto 12 pounds an hour I doubt she will get that much to start 8or 9 maybe and then work her way up she can do very fine PCB assembly trained in a Japanese factory Bangkok. I cannot even see the parts with my naked eye, not an easy thing to do thats why the money is good.
And if you want a good job Mr Henson is the guy to talk to :thumb:

bilbo
2nd May 2007, 11:19
I think the main problem any immigrant has in finding work suited to their skills and previous employment is the difficulty UK employers may have in checking foreign references. (I'm not talking about large multi national companies here) So getting out there and doing work, any work, to build up UK experience must be a good idea.
Nick.

That last comment of yours Nick was spot on sadly the wife did not get the job even though she did well on a practical test
The boss of firm said and I quote we do really need checkable references,She had already told them that she had'nt any.
She is feeling really subdued. :confused:

galahad
2nd May 2007, 14:32
Sorry to hear that Bilbo,
Its hard getting a start for the other halves;My wife was becoming quite disilusioned after only 3-4 mths here...but something will turn up.
Have you thought about volunteer organisations?
I know its '0' pay...but at least it,ll be a chance for your wife to gain experience;and more importantly get references.
What about references fromr wifes english teacher(s)?
I,m sure my wife could get at least 4 or 5 good referees now(from both work and her english studies)
Her references from the police and LG in thailand didn,t seem to count for 'diddly squat' in the UK....meaning employers can,t be bothered to check them(or its too much trouble for them!
She even went to the trouble of getting a fingerprint/background check up from the thai police;in case she needed 'disclosures etc...but that was a waste of £40..(the police charge you £40 for taking your fingerprints!)