PDA

View Full Version : Sending post to Thailand.

Wolfy
11th Jun 2009, 09:41
:help:
I have tried to send cards and stuff to a friend in LOS twice. On both occasions she never received anything. She has now texted me with a "more reliable" address of a friend who says there is a much better chance of mail reaching her because the postal service recognises her address.
Previously i have sent post by straight forward airmail, any suggestions to increase the likelyhood of my mail arriving there safely ??

ddwjg
11th Jun 2009, 10:13
Get someone to write the address in Thai, all except for the word THAILAND, on the envelope/parcel. Dave.

hartam
11th Jun 2009, 10:45
greenheaten,
well i send mail 2 times a week to thailand,and i always send it sighed for,,,yes it costs £3.60 plus stamp, and she always gets my letter/card ,just a thought,

Big AL
11th Jun 2009, 11:17
As already mentioned, "International Signed For" is the good method.

When I have sent cards they have not always got there. Someone said that a card in a colourful envelope, from overseas, would prove a temptation to postal staff.

Kram
11th Jun 2009, 14:20
I’ve had the same problem, all the postcards I sent to Thailand arrived there. Most of the cards that I sent in envelopes did not. I was also told that the postal staff probably took it. I then sent cards in the clear plastic wrapper that comes with some cards. I wrote the address on the back of the card or on a piece of paper. The card and address could easily be seen through the plastic, and that it contained nothing else. The cards sent this way all got there.

fish
11th Jun 2009, 23:22
Originally posted by Greenheathen:
:help:
I have tried to send cards and stuff to a friend in LOS twice. On both occasions she never received anything. She has now texted me with a "more reliable" address of a friend who says there is a much better chance of mail reaching her because the postal service recognises her address.
Previously i have sent post by straight forward airmail, any suggestions to increase the likelyhood of my mail arriving there safely ??

As I told you here Here (http://thailand-uk.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3961022311/m/6911018143?r=5831009143#5831009143) :)

Big AL
12th Jun 2009, 12:56
There are 2 problems being discussed.

(1) Postmen reading the address: I got my wife to print off several pages of sticky labels with her name and address typed in Thai. I would just stick this to the front of the envelope and as ddwjg says the only things you need to write in English are "Thailand" below the address and "AIRMAIL".

(2) Postmen opening envelopes in the hope that Greenheathen has sent his friend a large denomination note: sending stuff Internationally signed for is the sure way or getting round this problem. Its not too expensive, but it does mean a trip to the post office, queuing with all those pensioners. Maybe Greenheathen seeks advice again because he wishes to avoid the post office queue. I certainly had better things to do in my lunch hour.

Wolfy
12th Jun 2009, 15:51
:wai: No, i only sought advice because i'd forgotten what my dear Fish had told me previously. Anyway, i have taken your advice (and others) and will be sending 1 million baht in cash in a brown envelope with thai writing on it :)

Vinny
12th Jun 2009, 16:52
Originally posted by Greenheathen:
will be sending 1 million baht in cash in a brown envelope with thai writing on it :)

Would you like to use my <STRIKE>address</STRIKE> post office box address :lol: ?

CPT
27th Jun 2009, 09:02
I have sent letters with both English and Thai addresses and they never got there - irrespective of which family member in Thailand they went to - except postcards.

Now I send 'signed for' with Thai address which is expensive but they always get there (even though the recipient is seldom asked to sign anything).