PDA

View Full Version : The NEW Airline Tax

Skippy
2nd Feb 2007, 07:56
Can some one explain why we just don't avoid the NEW so called Green TAX ( just another revenue collection really, IMHO ) by booking a short haul to the continent and then booking a separate flight long haul? Would this work or what?

- Skippy

IanB
2nd Feb 2007, 08:21
Are we the only country in Europe that charges a departure tax?

Ian

Skippy
2nd Feb 2007, 10:38
IanB - I don't know that is why I am asking.

I have been told if you book the ticket here in the UK as say a flight to Paris or Amsterdam etc then on to Bangkok you pay the departure tax as a long haul - can anybody elaborate

- Skippy

iancanton
2nd Feb 2007, 16:53
if u book the whole journey as one ticket, say lhr-cdg-bkk, then it is a long-haul flight for air passenger duty purposes. if u purchase two separate air france tickets, lhr-cdg and cdg-bkk, then only the lhr-cdg is charged apd, this being at the lower rate. the disadvantage of doing this is that, if the first flight is delayed and u miss the long-haul flight, then air france is perfectly entitled to treat u as a no-show for the second flight.

i actually used a bad example, as u wouldn't choose to go via paris cdg. not only is the connection procedure more confusing than that at even heathrow, but compare the taxes and charges component of any air france flight from london to asia (via paris) against just about any other airline and u'll find that u're not saving any money on that bit of ur ticket. not to mention the staff at cdg, who are reputed to be ruder to english-speaking people than even the typical parisian.

ian. :)

Casey Jones
4th Feb 2007, 02:36
"Are we the only country in Europe that charges a departure tax?"

I remember on my first ever visit to Ozz back in '87 they charged a $12 arrivals tax which has long since been abolished now. Wont be long till this government thinks of that one too! Look out for coin meters on the side of toilet roll holders in airports in the near future!! I'm suprised they haven't yet installed a coin & barrier system on the 'nothing to declare' exit. Still...why spoil us with all the suprises in one go eh?

Skippy
5th Feb 2007, 04:10
yeah, I remember that wasn't there also a departure tax of $20 at the same time?

We were discussing this over "a coffee" at work and somebody is looking into Flying Ryan air to Dublin - then booking a ticket there to come back via Heathrow and onto the long haul desitination. Only advantage extra advantage for him was he has relatives in Dublin so I suppose not the same as the rest of us.

- Skippy

Tobias
5th Feb 2007, 06:11
Originally posted by Skippy:
... somebody is looking into Flying Ryan air to Dublin - then booking a ticket there to come back via Heathrow and onto the long haul desitination... I would suspect that any 'savings' in Air Passenger Duty will be lost in excess baggage charges and all those other 'stealth' profit charges and fees Ryanair imposes at the final stage of booking on those unfortunates who fly them.

Bryn&Mot
5th Feb 2007, 06:40
I flew to Frankfurt Hahn 2 weeks ago with Ryanair, £14.97 all in , inclusive of a checked bag and one hand lugagge and tax,(one way) although the tax has now been increased

iancanton
5th Feb 2007, 08:12
Originally posted by Skippy:
somebody is looking into Flying Ryan air to Dublin - then booking a ticket there to come back via Heathrow and onto the long haul desitination.

if that works, then i presume that inv-lhr-bkk on ba must qualify for the zero rating for air passenger duty that applies to scottish highland departures. there's a six-hour time limit for a domestic onward flight to count as a transfer (and therefore exempt from apd) if u arrive before 1700 and a 24-hour limit for an international onward flight.

Barrington
5th Feb 2007, 09:35
I did look in the past at booking AMS to BKK,with an Easyjet connection, but it did not work our any cheaper and was a lot of extra hassel. I would suggest that if the duty continues to rise then this type of thing would make a lot of sense. And may even be promoted by no UK based airlines. At the end of the day most of us would do anything we legally could to pay less to Gordon Brown.

Skippy
5th Feb 2007, 10:38
Sounds like as hassle but no doubt somebody will come up with a work around to avoid paying the Long haul tax - and then that would probaly negate all the "good work" at reducing the green house gases that the tax is supposed to make.

If you guys work out a cheaper way of doing I wouldn't mind doing it just on principle.

Have thought about Oasis one way to HK and then onto BKK.

Possibly then start buying our tickets in Thailand -only trouble is you have only to use the return leg within 12 months...

Skippy

Tony & Apple
5th Feb 2007, 12:56
I would suspect that any 'savings' in Air Passenger Duty will be lost in excess baggage charges and all those other 'stealth' profit charges and fees Ryanair imposes at the final stage of booking on those unfortunates who fly them.

i think any savings on 'air passenger duty' would be lost in the airport bar on beer, which is taxed anyway :shrug:

iancanton
5th Feb 2007, 13:26
skippy

there's no advantage in buying ur flights in thailand because the lon-bkk leg of each return ticket will still include apd at the long-haul rate!

Casey Jones
6th Feb 2007, 09:17
"I would suspect that any 'savings' in Air Passenger Duty will be lost in excess baggage charges and all those other 'stealth' profit charges and fees Ryanair imposes at the final stage of booking on those unfortunates who fly them."

What I found annoying about Ryan air was that the cheaper the flight the higher the taxes & 'charges. The more expensive the flight the less expensive the additional charges! Also if you decide to take no check-in luggage they class that as 'express check-in' & charge you 4 quid! That's 4 quid for not taking luggage or 7 quid for taking luggage...hence a compulsary additional payment. Plus...10 quid for paying with a c.c!
When they call them budget airlines they really were not kidding. WATCH THAT BUDGET!!

.........& yes Skippy. There was a $20 departure tax in Ozz at the same time as the $12 arrivals tax. Still got the stickers stuck on my ticket from all those years ago. ( LND to PTH was my first ever flight...with B.A...& I had all my cold bacon butties my mum had made me confiscated on arrival in Ozz. I didn't know they fed you on the plane so I went prepared! ).

Skippy
6th Feb 2007, 10:26
Well looks like we had it then, another £60 to see our family overseas ( well actually £120) to see both the Thais and Aussies!! (on different trips of course).

Ooly hope is to get a ruling that it against my human rights!! :cool:

- Skippy

SteveR
6th Feb 2007, 16:45
expedia.de are quoting £1100 for 2 adults/1 child for Frankfurt/Bkk return in May.

Only problem is that BA want £275 to get to Frankfurt. £81 of that is airfare and the rest is tax. (£183)

iancanton
7th Feb 2007, 04:05
casey

for the same route, ryanair charges the same fees whether the fare is high or low. i bought hahn to stansted one-way for €11 inclusive of everything a couple of weeks ago (and missed the flight, but that’s another story). it is actually possible to take no luggage without paying for express check-in, not from the first drop-down box, but using a cleverly-hidden procedure later on. u can reduce the card charge to 40p by paying with a visa debit card, or avoid it completely with a visa electron card.

however much michael o’leary protests, the increase in apd is good for ryanair’s profit margins because a bigger proportion of ryanair’s passengers fail to show up for their flights than on most other airlines, thereby forfeiting their tickets (and, unlike many other airlines, ryanair keeps 100% of the apd as an administration fee).

having said all that, to be fair to ryanair, at least it always includes fuel in its prices, unlike ba!

Natty
12th Feb 2007, 06:32
however much michael o’leary protests, the increase in apd is good for ryanair’s profit margins because a bigger proportion of ryanair’s passengers fail to show up for their flights than on most other airlines, thereby forfeiting their tickets (and, unlike many other airlines, ryanair keeps 100% of the apd as an administration fee).

I doubt if anyone would contest the practice for the sake of a few quid.

iancanton
13th Feb 2007, 12:19
good news for anyone who wants to start a journey from jersey: bmi, which codeshares some of its routes with THAI, will launch, on 25/03/2007, a twice-daily service between heathrow and jersey.

one-way fares start at £26 from jersey or £37.90 from heathrow. if u combine a bmi flight starting in jersey with a THAI flight to bangkok, purchased as one through ticket, then u won’t pay uk apd at the long-haul rate. however, the flight timing is awful for this purpose: the evening flight arrives at heathrow just as tg917 is taking off!

https://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/aboutbmi/presscentre/p...x?year=2007&rid=1077 (https://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/aboutbmi/presscentre/pressreleases.aspx?year=2007&rid=1077)