PDA

View Full Version : Sme day service at the RTE in London

billyboy
6th Jan 2007, 07:05
Hello everyone,

Wife and I are going to Thailand in April and her passport with ILR expires in September.
We had planned to send it off in the post to the RTE to be extended which means her passport will be away for 6-8 weeks.

However I read some posts here that imply that if you go to the RTE in person you can get either a new passport or an extension on the same day?

I think board member Big Red has done this.

Can anyone confirm if this is the case.

billyboy
6th Jan 2007, 07:05
Hello everyone,

Wife and I are going to Thailand in April and her passport with ILR expires in September.
We had planned to send it off in the post to the RTE to be extended which means her passport will be away for 6-8 weeks.

However I read some posts here that imply that if you go to the RTE in person you can get either a new passport or an extension on the same day?

Can anyone confirm if this is the case.

Tobias
6th Jan 2007, 07:13
Originally posted by billyboy:
Hello everyone,

Wife and I are going to Thailand in April and her passport with ILR expires in September... Then why not do this in Thailand?

billyboy
6th Jan 2007, 08:51
Because Im worried that the Airline may not let her board the plane in the UK if there is less than 6 months left

-Keith-
6th Jan 2007, 09:03
Because Im worried that the Airline may not let her board the plane in the UK if there is less than 6 months left

No problem, she's going home.

Lucky
6th Jan 2007, 10:00
Keith is right so don't worry.

In fact, last May I was going out to LOS for a couple of months so I needed a visa. So I read on the RTE website that I would need six months left on my passport as at my planned return date.

My passport was due to expire in November so I zipped down and got a new passport (the 7 day option). Went to the Thai Consulate in Cardiff after for the visa and mentioned I had rushed to get (at cost) a quick new passport, only to be told "it's only a recommendation, you don't actually need that much time left". :shrug:

So for a Thai returning home do not have a care :)

BigRed
6th Jan 2007, 11:41

You are right, we did. In your case though, given that you are in Warrington, I wouldn't bother. As Keith says, she's going home. They like 6 months to ensure that you are covered for return even if there are unexpected delays.

Look at it this way, they will deport people without a passport.

BigRed