PDA

View Full Version : Gold

upcountry
7th Jan 2007, 04:53
What sort of money would I be expecting to pay for a gold necklace and bracelet, myself and missus are back off to Thailand in March and I wanted to treat her. I forget how the gold is priced etc in Thailand.
Thanks

upcountry
7th Jan 2007, 04:53
What sort of money would I be expecting to pay for a gold necklace and bracelet, myself and missus are back off to Thailand in March and I wanted to treat her. I forget how the gold is priced etc in Thailand.
Thanks

Lucky
7th Jan 2007, 05:00
A baht (approx half an ounce)of Thai gold is around 10250 bahts.

If you buy say a necklace you pay the cost of the actual amount of gold plus a a premium for the work involved in making it.

upcountry
7th Jan 2007, 05:04
Lucky
Would 20,000bht get me something quite nice? or could it be seen as a cheap charlie gift at that cost???

Lucky
7th Jan 2007, 05:14
I don't think a gift approaching £300 would be regarded as "cheap charlie", certainly my wife would be happy enough.

Personally I would aim for one heavier piece of jewellrey say a necklace, rather than two lesser pieces. The beauty of Thai gold is that it can be worn and then used in part exchange if a change or upgrade is desired with only a small penalty in cost.

Plus it as as good as having money in the bank should the need arise

upcountry
7th Jan 2007, 05:34
Lucky
Thanks for that, my misus wants to buy me a decent chain as well for the same reason you mentioned, As good as having money in the bank.

What i need to do now is try and find a web site with a bangkok based shop selling gold to have a look at designs...

peterinkendal
7th Jan 2007, 11:29
Upcountry,

When in BKK visit the mbk centre. More gold there iirc then at fort knox

Peter

Thaddeus
7th Jan 2007, 14:58
Originally posted by upcountry:
As good as having money in the bank.

I don't want to disagree with you guys but, buy gold for ornamentation or a long term investment. It isn't the same as having money in the bank, the price of money never goes down, you don't have to sell it for less than you paid for it and you don't need to pay the printing costs.

A few months back, 1 Baht of gold was close to 11k Baht now it's about 10.3K, when you take into account the workmanship costs, it could be some time before you could possibly recoup over what you paid.

As a gift, fine, and I would never decry that, especially between a loving couple..... as an investment, no.

Lucky
7th Jan 2007, 15:34
It isn't the same as having money in the bank, the price of money never goes down, you don't have to sell it for less than you paid for it and you don't need to pay the printing costs.

as an investment, no.

Whoa! who mentioned investment. Thais use gold like we use our current accounts. Besides money does go down, ever heard of inflation? In some cirumstances gold is more convenient than a bank account in Thailand.

Thaddeus
7th Jan 2007, 16:06
Lucky

I have no wish for this to turn into an economics debate.

Buy gold as a gift for a loved one..... great sentiment, especially for a Thai. :thumb:

Lucky
8th Jan 2007, 01:30
I buy gold because I am a good sammi and do what mia say http://thailand-uk.com/groupee_files/graemlins/slap.gif