PDA

View Full Version : unusual or stupid ??? airline choice

Linne
15th Nov 2007, 03:53
I,m trying to go out next feb just before half time, all very expensive. It did occur to me to try unsual airlines.
I got a quote for 435 incl with Biman change in Dacca.
any other other ideas of the less obvious. Maybe I should just wait until after xmas.

Skippy
15th Nov 2007, 05:20
the Gardener,
granted your profession - you would know/been taught that a straight line isn't necessarily the best way between 2 points. ;)

Try Oasis to Hong Kong then a hop back to Thailand ( not necessarily via Bangkok BTW )

- good luck :thumb:
Skippy

btw - haven't seen you when i have been passing thru your work - have you changed shifts or bases?

maokaang
15th Nov 2007, 05:49
I got a quote for 435 incl with Biman change in Dacca. I vote for stupid. I travelled with Binman Bangladesh 1½ times many years ago.

NEVER AGAIN.

After the second time to Bangkok, I threw my return ticket away and booked with someone else back to the UK. It may only state 1 aircraft change in Dhaka, but several other stops as well, including Myanmar on some flights. Very, very old planes and very unreliable schedules. I know someone who used them regularly and was stuck in Dhaka overnight, sometimes two nights, every other trip. I experienced two break downs at terminals and one on the tarmac. The journey times, with all the stops, breakdowns, delays, etc. were horrendous.

That was nearly 8 years ago, but it seems little has changed. Here's a quote from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biman_Bangladesh):
The ageing fleet has made it difficult for Biman to maintain flight schedules as the aircraft suffer from mechanical problems, leading to flight delays, cancellations, inconvenience to passengers, and higher operating costs. A number of aircraft have remained grounded due to lack of available parts as they are no longer manufactured and used parts are difficult to source. Currently only 7 of their 12 aircraft are in active service.

One of the catering divisions of Binman, the Binman Poultry Complex, was the first place in Bangladesh to have Avian Flu detected in it's poultry.

IMHO, pay the extra and use a proper airline.

:crazy:

michael001
15th Nov 2007, 06:24
i travelled once with Binman like yourself i was only told of the Dacca stop.we left T3 45 mins late no great problems there then there was the stop in France then Dacca 5 hrs and then Rangoon and finally Bangkok. inflight enterainment forget it drinks i was charged £1 a tin after i bought 5 they run out.
the return journey was a little more unpleasent we left Don Mueang and on to Dacca where the flight went technical so they hoteled us all for the night next day put on another Binman aircraft and that went tech eventually we did take off we then stopped off in the middle east then again in France before finally getting to LHR some 20 hrs late NEVER AGAIN

Linne
15th Nov 2007, 08:57
skippy .................I,m still there just north of the river, lates and nights mainly.

So guys thats a no and i guess the same for Uzbekistan and PIA if I could ever get a quote from these outfits.

I see Oman air are coming up on the on-line searches.

Skippy
15th Nov 2007, 09:21
Try this site - don't know if they can help and may not be any cheaper - but could give some ideas??

www.alternativeairlines.com (http://www.alternativeairlines.com)

- Skippy

P. I have the name of the Travel agent that booked the Hong Kong to Perth leg of my trip with if you need it PM me

Skippy
15th Nov 2007, 09:25
Gulf Air weren't bad - as far 2 x 5 odd hr flights go...

:thumb:

nick kidd
15th Nov 2007, 10:26
If you are staying less than a month then there are good deals with EVA. Try West East Travel, I just booked outbound 10th Feb for £450.

Casey Jones
15th Nov 2007, 11:37
Biman was my worst ever long haul flight...just pipping PIA. Firstly we had to land in Rangoon due to mechanical problems with the aircraft & then we were ordered off at gun point in Dhaka as we'd flown into a military coup. On board experience was total crap. I'd rather eat my own arm than fly with them again!

colin244
15th Nov 2007, 12:58
I travelled with Binman

They are nicknamed this for the reasons above ie can you get there never mind the quality of food/service :crazy (TG/EVA etc :thumb:)
colin 244

rolyshark
15th Nov 2007, 16:51
You can fly to Islamabad from East Midlands for £435 inclusive of taxes and doubtless get a cheap flight to Bkk or elsewhere in LOS thereafter.
UK International Airlines started the flights last month.1 stop near Dubai I think.
Would be an interesting experience no doubt...

rolyshark
15th Nov 2007, 17:01
Here's their economy non veg meal

http://www.stockauditor.co.uk/tuk/0711/b_nonveg.jpg

axel1974
15th Nov 2007, 19:52
that looks tasty to me

then again.... i would probably eat roadkill

MikeNea
15th Nov 2007, 23:13
I suspect that if you've eaten at some of the less salubrious roadside restaurants in Thailand, you probably have :lol:

rolyshark
16th Nov 2007, 21:14
I'm curious what the yellow bottle is.

MikeNea
16th Nov 2007, 23:24
the yellow bottle is Orange Juice - the small container of green stuff looks like coriander & yogurt. The rice looks like its got mince in it (probably lamb), but can't identify the stuff at the top of the container, and the salad, from the left, looks like kofta kebab, chicken (wings?), and mixed salad. the dessert looks like a semolina type something with grated pistachio and cashew nuts on top.

Skippy
20th Nov 2007, 10:49
Gulf Air werent that bad if you are okay with a non direct flight

Also look at Malaysian to KL then - get the flight up to BKK or look at AurAsia to the regions

Singapore to Phuket aren't bad conections from Singapore if you don't need Bangkok or the north.

Good Luck
Skippy