PDA

View Full Version : UKBA on TV in UK Border Force (Sky1)

Cliff
2nd Sep 2008, 13:46
Sky1’s revealing new documentary series looks at the challenging role of the dedicated teams who make up the UK Border Agency (UKBA). UK BORDER FORCE highlights the many compelling cases they are faced with on a daily basis.

Press Release Details:
Granted exclusive access by the Home Office, this eight-part observational documentary series follows the teams at Heathrow Terminal 3, Calais, Dover and the diligent enforcement teams cracking down on illegal workers that form part of the newly created UK Border Agency. For the first time, we will see exactly how our borders are protected and how immigrants and visitors to Britain are dealt with on the front line.

As well as providing a unique insight into the sophisticated levels of patrol across the country’s boundaries, UK BORDER FORCE shadows various team members, giving viewers the opportunity to get to know the diverse characters who work within this challenging and unpredictable environment. While Immigration Officers (IO’s) at Heathrow Terminal 3 juggle elaborate stories of ‘royal appointments’, non-genuine visitors and the occasional celebrity traveller, at street level, the enforcement teams based up and down the country target places of work renowned for employing casual staff including cafés, shops, factories and cleaning companies.

At Calais and Dover, new hi-tech innovations such as CO² probes and heartbeat monitors are employed by the freight search team to detect illegal immigrants referred to as ‘Clandestines’ who have stowed away in heavy goods vehicles. Heathrow Terminal 3 is the busiest port in Britain dealing with 80,000 travellers per day; Immigration Officers face the challenge of aiding the speedy passage of legitimate visitors, whilst at the same being watchful of those with dishonest intensions. With an average of 30 million arrivals to the terminal each year, this is no small task and staff must be well trained to make quick decisions in a highly pressured environment.

With immigration one of the hottest topics in Britain today, UK BORDER FORCE's unprecedented access reveals the work of the men and women who police immigration and highlights the tragic stories and challenges they face every day.

UK BORDER FORCE, only on Sky1 and Sky1 HD, Tuesdays from 9 September at 9.00pm Really looking forward to this show.

caller
2nd Sep 2008, 14:31
Does it mention they are cutting staff?

Tobias
2nd Sep 2008, 17:50
Originally posted by Cliff:
Really looking forward to this show. Indeed, an interesting insight ... ... hopefully.

Gary & Nok
4th Sep 2008, 12:41
Cliff, I too am looking forward to this show but no doubt will end up ranting and raving at the TV with the wife looking on dumb struck :D

Cliff
4th Sep 2008, 17:11
Preview: I've just seen the first part of this series and it's definitely one to watch. We get to see Immigration Officers at Heathrow checking the passports of people entering the country, and preventing those who try to get into the UK illegally. One guy arrives on a visit visa and the IO noticed that he'd spent 26 months out of the last 30 "visiting" the UK. Yeah right! Did he really think he'd get away with it? Apparently so. Another guy tries to enter with slightly too many cigarettes: the allowance is 200. He had 18,000 :eek:

Next we're off to Calais where they check for "clandestines" - people hiding in trucks.

Back to the UK and onto the streets of London to spend some time with Thaiboi's friends in the Enforcement Team. They're the ones who track down, arrest and deport those who've managed to slip through the net. Thaiboi's restaurant had a surprise visit from them a while back. It sounded like a very dramatic evening! Thaiboi ended up translating for the Enforcement Team because none of the other restaurant staff could understand what they were saying.

In the first part of the TV show they focus on butchers rather that restaurants, and round up a few workers to see why they don't have the necessary documentation. One of the butchers entered on a six-month visa and gave his passport to his employer who said he'd look after all the paperwork. He didn't and the worker overstayed as a result. I can relate to this because when I worked in Dubai, my employer did the same thing. He kept my passport, which seems to the common practice, and said he'd extend my visa for me. Luckily he did.

Finally, back to Heathrow and a guy claiming to be here to hand-deliver a letter to the Queen. Hilarious!

I was hoping to see more confrontations between the IOs, Enforcement Teams and illegal workers, but it's been all very calm so far. In the first episode, the IOs were very polite and treated everyone with dignity and respect. Even the Enforcement Team were on their best behaviour. Maybe they've saved the action for the rest of the series. Let's hope so!

UK Border Force is on Sky1 and Sky1 HD, Tuesdays from 9 September at 9.00pm

http://media.entertainment.sky.com/image/unscaled/2008/9/3/Border-force-logo-copymw.jpg

Vinny
4th Sep 2008, 17:54
Apparently, the series (http://sky1.sky.com/uk-border-force) was also funded by the UKBA (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1020845/Home-Office-funds-Sky-propaganda-400-000-taxpayers-money.html).

Gary & Nok
6th Sep 2008, 11:01
Originally posted by Vinny:
Apparently, the series (http://sky1.sky.com/uk-border-force) was also funded by the UKBA (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1020845/Home-Office-funds-Sky-propaganda-400-000-taxpayers-money.html).
WHAT! Just read the link and the last comment:
The Home Office said: "The important message is that it is a good use of taxpayers' money ..." :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
What the F*%$, this government is unbelievable can't actually fund the agency properly but can produce a program.
Whilst I am sure I will enjoy this it is a disgrace that the taxpayers have paid for this :mad:
Gary

colin244
6th Sep 2008, 13:38
Whilst I am sure I will enjoy this it is a disgrace that the taxpayers have paid for this

Agreed :mad:
colin 244

caller
6th Sep 2008, 13:57
Yes, those same folk you will see targeting all those dodgy employers and their staff are facing cutbacks in staffing levels...

Gary & Nok
9th Sep 2008, 13:57
I was right, loved the programme but was effin' 'nd blindin' at the TV.
Typical frogs letting everyone stay on their side without a care and letting them try to get in to the UK.

16,000 cigs and how much baccy? and when confronted with being sent home "I will be killed sir, not send me back" "OK I kill myself now" Oh please go ahead save us the cost of sending you back you cheating lying scum.

Talk about make work for yourselves. Illegal immigrant does not have any paperwork so is released on own recognisances to turn in on a weekly basis. Yeah like f*%$ he is going to turn up. ❇❇❇ :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Good stuff :D .
Gary

John
9th Sep 2008, 14:27
I also thought .... excellent programme! Sky ... well done!

Janner
9th Sep 2008, 14:40
If You have missed this show check out Sky 2 this Wednesday at 9pm to catch it again.

Janner

Nick1810
24th Sep 2008, 10:56
We have watched all the series so far (wonders of Sky+!) and found it very interesting. Last night's episode showed ECO's at work in Delhi processing VV and SV applications. What I found interesting was the fact that the Welsh woman who had married an Indian man 25 years her junior was interviewed straight after her husband. In Bangkok this wouldn't be the case - in fact you are not even allowed into the Embassy complex to accompany your partner? Each Embassy must have their own rules I suppose? :shrug:

And what about the guy who falsified his bank statements and university degree? Priceless! :lol:

And the guy who wanted to visit Birmingham Palace where the Queen lived! :D

Good series and well worth a watch.

Nic and Fon

Vinny
9th Jan 2009, 17:48
Originally posted by Janner:
If You have missed this show check out Sky 2 this Wednesday at 9pm to catch it again.

Janner

They are also available on youtube (http://uk.youtube.com/results?search_query=UK+Immigration&search_type=&aq=f).