PDA

View Full Version : Spouse/retirement visa

andy again
21st Mar 2007, 06:12
Sorry for this being a partial repeat of something i placed in the trip section.
I intend to move to Thailand in July to join my Thai wife. I believe it is best to obtain a non immigrant o visa of the multiple entry type.I could then apply for a retirement visa but would have to stick B800000 in a thai bank account essentially as dead money. I was hoping to apply for a spouse visa, where i believed you only needed to put b400000 in the bank but my wife has been told by 2 separate immigration officials that this option doesn't exist any more. She was also told originally that we just needed to alternatively have a joint income of b40000 a month to get the spouse visa, but has been subsequently told that such a b40000 must flow into the country from outside in order to be able to claim such a visa - an important point for us as my wife's income easily exceeds this figure.

Do any of you knowledgeable and helpful people know anything approaching definitive re these issues?

On a separate but related issue I will be livinig at least for a few months in Rayong before probably moving somewhere betwen Pattaya and Rayong ( I have friends in Pattaya, my wife works in a big industrial estate outside Rayong) - anybody tell me anything about eating drinking or farang meeting places in Rayong?

andy again
21st Mar 2007, 06:12
Sorry for this being a partial repeat of something i placed in the trip section.
I intend to move to Thailand in July to join my Thai wife. I believe it is best to obtain a non immigrant o visa of the multiple entry type.I could then apply for a retirement visa but would have to stick B800000 in a thai bank account essentially as dead money. I was hoping to apply for a spouse visa, where i believed you only needed to put b400000 in the bank but my wife has been told by 2 separate immigration officials that this option doesn't exist any more. She was also told originally that we just needed to alternatively have a joint income of b40000 a month to get the spouse visa, but has been subsequently told that such a b40000 must flow into the country from outside in order to be able to claim such a visa - an important point for us as my wife's income easily exceeds this figure.

Do any of you knowledgeable and helpful people know anything approaching definitive re these issues?

On a separate but related issue I will be livinig at least for a few months in Rayong before probably moving somewhere betwen Pattaya and Rayong ( I have friends in Pattaya, my wife works in a big industrial estate outside Rayong) - anybody tell me anything about eating drinking or farang meeting places in Rayong?

mellowsailor
22nd Mar 2007, 03:22
You are making the move that we anticipate in a couple of years' time.
My understanding of the spouse visa rules now is that you require a combined income, verified by at least 3 months' statements, of at least 40,000 baht/month, which can include your wife's earnings. I think if you search on 'Non-immigrant visa', either on this forum or on Thaivisa, you should get sufficient info about this.
Our house is at Banchang. There are a small number of farang bars in that town. We stayed for a few days last year at the Star Hotel in Rayong, and ate and drank at the market place close by - didn't see many 'farang' type places there, but I wasn't really looking.
I can drive to the Pattaya beach road (although I don't really want to) in just under the hour from our place.

Wild Dave
22nd Mar 2007, 20:57
Having just recently moved to Thailand and married a beautiful Thai national I have been to Immigration Office to change the status of my visa from Non-Immigrant O type Tourist to Non-Immigrant O type Spouse so I have some recent experience of the procedure.

The main purpose of going to Immigration Office was to take advantage of the regulation that allows you to stay in Thailand without resorting to the border run routine every 90 days. My wife helped considerably to speak to the officials there but the outcome is that for a relatively small sum I will receive a new visa with permission to stay for 1 year without doing the border runs but just reporting my Thai address every 90 days. I now wait for the police check before the application is finally approved. I will post you the final result next month.

As regards proof and level of income what is required is a letter from the British Embassy here in BKK confirming the amount of pension you are receiving. All they are looking for is 40,000 baht a per month. No bank deposit amount currently required. The only other things we had to produce was our marriage certificate, some wedding photos they chose 2 from 10 we were asked to supply, proof of home address by way of utility bills (phone, my wife's ID card and of course my passport with current Thai visa. My passport has now been stamped with "THAI WIFE" and notification to report to the Immigration Office in 90 days.

As regards resident permit then the rules are quit simple and are shown on the Immigration Office website http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php , this website should help you understand the procedures both for Non- Immigrant visas and for Resident Permit .. the laws have not been changed since the coup in respect of these things .. just that they are being enforced correctly now.

Well I hope this may be of some help .. and should you require any further info or help please feel free to ask ... I will then do what I can .. GOOD LUCK

colin244
23rd Mar 2007, 15:39
Dave,

Thanks for that informative and good advice
colin 244

Kev62
25th Mar 2007, 02:23
Thanks for the helpful and clear information Dave .

Kev

andy again
26th Mar 2007, 05:59
Sorry to be a pain - but for a spouse visa is it a minimum B40000 a month coming from outside thailand or a minimum B40000 a month combined income - this seems to be the crunch question for me.

oldoldgit
26th Mar 2007, 09:09
Thanks Dave, handy to know for if and when we go.

maokaang
26th Mar 2007, 09:11
for a spouse visa is it a minimum B40000 a month coming from outside thailand or a minimum B40000 a month combined income - this seems to be the crunch question for me. Any combination adding up to 40,000 a month.

Wild Dave
10th Apr 2007, 00:48
Well I promised an update to my post of 23rd March in this thread.. so here it is ...

I went to the Thai Immigration Office again today to find the result of my application for a 1 year stay in the kingdom without the necessity for 'boarder runs". I deposited my passport in the basket with my number attached and 15 minutes later I was called, handed my passport back without a word being said. Upon examination I discovered the following "BANGKOK, THAILAND. EXTENSION OF STAY PERMITTED UP TO 22 APR 2008. HOLDER MUST LEAVE THE KINGDOM WITHIN THE DATE SPECIFIED HEREIN OFFENDERS WILL BE PROSECUTED" and signed by an Immigration Officer... the words THAI WIFE were again stamped with todays date - 10 APR 2007. I only have to report my address to the Immigration Office ever 90 days that is all....

So all in all a success story, however I do wonder if the fact that my wife is a nurse in ICU in one of the major government hospitals had anything to do with the ease of obtaining the extension in my case ....

Well hope these 2 posts have been helpful .. If I can assist anyone please ask .. i will do what I can ...