PDA

View Full Version : Giving Up On Democarcy in Thailand

Rich & Orasa
28th Nov 2006, 04:28
A worrying sign for the future ??

The Nation (http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/27/opinion/opinion_30020039.php)

Rich

Rich & Orasa
28th Nov 2006, 04:28
A worrying sign for the future ??

The Nation (http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/27/opinion/opinion_30020039.php)

Rich

SteveR
28th Nov 2006, 05:31
I've long believed that the majority of the population shouldn't be allowed to vote, quite frankly they don't have a clue and often vote on simplistic matters. As Winston Churchill once said, a 5 minute conversation with the average man is the strongest argument against democracy.

As well as that many cultures will just never succeed under a democracy, Iraq being an obvious example.

Skippy
28th Nov 2006, 06:50
2 pence worth from Skippy

1/ what is any different here in "the west" when people can be pork bellied with longer drinking hours, family allowance supplement,new gambling laws and lower interest rates?

2/ what is any different from the almighty "House of Lords" - I mean none of us voted for then did we?

- just my 2 pence (minus tax) worth

Skippy

Lee
28th Nov 2006, 06:58
As well as that many cultures will just never succeed under a democracy, Iraq being an obvious example.

Regarding Iraq....

If you would have said Iraq will never succeed under an imposed democracy or Iraq will never succeed under a democracy imposed by an imperialistic power I would have agreed with you!

I'm curious why you say that Iraq is an obvious example of a country not able to succeed under a democracy?

Lee

SteveR
28th Nov 2006, 07:31
I'm curious why you say that Iraq is an obvious example of a country not able to succeed under a democracy?
Purely on the different beliefs and cultures that will never be able to agree on anything, ever. Sometimes countries need a strong leader to keep them together. Saddam may have been evil and oppressive, but Iraq would have been in a better state today and avoided the bloodshed and cost that the US and UK have caused or catalysed.

Thaddeus
28th Nov 2006, 08:13
Originally posted by SteveR:
I've long believed that the majority of the population shouldn't be allowed to vote, quite frankly they don't have a clue and often vote on simplistic matters. As Winston Churchill once said, a 5 minute conversation with the average man is the strongest argument against democracy.

Just one comment..... Churchil was a great leader, a man of his time.

Without people like him, the world wouldn't be what it is today.

But take that in the right context..... taken at its simplest level, four fifths of this thread would have already been deleted..... four fifths of this forum would not exist.

It isn't the same world anymore..... I'm agreeing with the sentiment a little it Steve... but a quote from a great statesman from around seventy years ago isn't really relevant today.

siamsteve
28th Nov 2006, 10:04
2/ what is any different from the almighty "House of Lords" - I mean none of us voted for then did we?

Skippy I whole heartedly agree with you with the current laws, what I am about to say I am sure a not everyone will agree with but The house of Lords used to be made up of the Land owners in this country who, whether right all wrong had a stake in this country and it was in there interest to keep the goverment in check when needed. Now under tony blair if you got enough money to lend the ruling party you can buy your way in. I am not a royalist either but keep them because the monarch is the only one who can dissolve parliment under current laws......anyway I also think Isaan should break away and become independent then what will the middle class Bangkokians do

caller
28th Nov 2006, 12:39
It seems to me that the problem is not with democracy, but the enforcement of some basic rules to prevent the corruption that undermines it.

But when that corruption comes from those with the powers to enforce it..........

I agree about restricting the vote, I would remove the franchise from all women, atheists, non-christians, peasants, those in paid employment and....hang on - isn't that where we've come from?

prioritypress
28th Nov 2006, 22:18
Originally posted by Lee:

Regarding Iraq....

If you would have said Iraq will never succeed under an imposed democracy or Iraq will never succeed under a democracy imposed by an imperialistic power I would have agreed with you!

Lee

Some "countries" (in Africa, Middle East and Asia) are still very tribal...divided along "religious" or "ethnic" lines...and as such will never be democratic...

Nick