PDA

View Full Version : Hand Baggage on Planes.

Andy R
30th Aug 2006, 03:46
Ok after the ban on hand luggage recently, the baggage you are allowed to take on has been changed.
I understand that a laptop in a case is allowed as your one piece now, but is the case (within reason) limited to a certain size?
I presume that a camera and MP3 player say in a front pocket of the case could also be taken through.

Natty
30th Aug 2006, 04:05
I understand that a laptop in a case is allowed as your one piece now, but is the case (within reason) limited to a certain size?

I think that would mean laptop size case rather than laptop in big case.
I think you could use a laptop case but do not need to have a laptop inside it or a bag about the same size

Electronic devices are ok but as you probably know no liquids, gels, toothpaste etc are allowed

-Keith-
30th Aug 2006, 04:11
Andy,

All you need to know is here:

Baggage Restrictions (http://www.baa.com/portal/controller/dispatcher.jsp?CiID=566cefdec403d010VgnVCM10000036821c0a____&CtID=a22889d8759a0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____&Ct=B2C_CT_PRESS_RELEASE&ChPath=Corporate%5EMedia%20Centre%5ENews%20Releases%5EResults)

Andy R
30th Aug 2006, 04:44
Thanks for the replies.
From what I understand the case has got to be within the measurements specified? I got told that the case is put into a kind of cutout and if it does not fit exactly you cannot take it on the plane.

Bryn&Mot
30th Aug 2006, 05:27
I got told that the case is put into a kind of cutout and if it does not fit exactly you cannot take it on the plane.
Thats correct Andy, I just got back from Germany this morning, basically a ladies handbag would be ok
45 cm x 35 cm x 16cm.
Minus the lipstick and fag lighter and any other wet stuff, that might be in it.
But hopefully come your flight in December things might have got back to somewhere normal

Andy R
30th Aug 2006, 08:46
Originally posted by Bryn&Mot:
basically a ladies handbag would be ok

Yes But I don't want to take one :D ;)

Bryn&Mot
31st Aug 2006, 01:05
Yes But I don't want to take one

and there's me,,,,, jumping to conclusions again ;)

iancanton
12th Sep 2006, 14:49
the new hand baggage rules apply only to outward flights from the uk. at bangkok, i took my full-size backpack as hand luggage.

this was actually a mistake since, at the gate, my toothpaste, hair gel, shower gel, mosquito spray and hay fever spray were removed from me and put into a clear plastic bag to be put into the hold. the passengers' clear plastic bags were the last items to reach the conveyor belt at heathrow.

if i had put my backpack into the hold as checked baggage (with my silver card giving priority luggage handling), then i'd have been on my way sooner instead of having to wait for the aforesaid items.

ian. :)

Noi & Nick
13th Sep 2006, 00:58
Originally posted by ian canton:
at bangkok, i took my full-size backpack as hand luggage. You what? Have you no consideration for your fellow passengers? To be frank, people who do this really annoy. The sooner all airlines at all airports enforce hand luggage restrictions the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Rich & Orasa
13th Sep 2006, 02:14
Here, here :thumb:

Rich

-Keith-
13th Sep 2006, 02:44
Here, here

Yeh, and they should be banned from the London Underground as well :nod:

Rich & Orasa
13th Sep 2006, 02:47
...and from trains...and buses as well :)

Rich

michael001
13th Sep 2006, 03:47
hi everyone
people who forget or are ignorant of the new hand baggage rules in as far as creams, gels, toothpaste etc risk them being taken by security search procedures and placed into plastic bags.its these plastic bags that jam up the baggage system causing luggage to miss flights etc.it should be a hard and fast rule if you have something that is currently not allowed in hand baggage you loose it

colin244
13th Sep 2006, 14:14
Agreed all but having difficulty explaining this to Dao who is flying in 16/09/06! (at last)

Oh well this week end especially Sat will be interesting at LHR!
colin 244

iancanton
13th Sep 2006, 14:17
Originally posted by Noi & Nick:
You what? Have you no consideration for your fellow passengers? To be frank, people who do this really annoy. The sooner all airlines at all airports enforce hand luggage restrictions the better, as far as I'm concerned.

555, i see what u mean. my backpack was one that, containing very little and weighing only 3.4kg from heathrow and somewhat more from bangkok, would have squashed to fit the old guidelines (which is what i meant by full-size, not the ones that accommodate a sleeping bag) and therefore took up no more room than a roller-style flight bag.

i do agree that airlines ought to clamp down on people who block the aisles during boarding while they fill up a whole overhead locker with their own stuff.

ian. :)

andy muay thai
13th Sep 2006, 14:22
my little girl and boy are coming to los this time next week, they keep asking me if they can take there teddy's on the plane, can anyone advise me, before phoning emirates, andy

Noi & Nick
14th Sep 2006, 01:50
When Poy was little she always had one or two cuddly toys with her in the cabin. The only time we had a problem was when she brought back a 4ft tall bear. The cabin crew said he was too big, so he got his own seat in first class! (Suggestions that I have the first class seat so that Teddy could stay with Poy fell on deaf ears. :cry:)

However, with the current restrictions I'm not sure, so can only suggest you check with the airline.

Tobias
14th Sep 2006, 02:09
Under existing rules provided the soft toy can fit in to the carry on bag not a problem. However, things are a-changing and the rules are about to be relaxed, an announcement is due later today.

Mark W
14th Sep 2006, 03:15
Flying back from Heathrow to Manchester yesterday all hand luggage was checked for size and only 1 bag was allowed but one Frenchman must have bypassed this stage as he got to the bag X-Ray machine and had 2 bags. They stopped him and told him to go back and check one in, he argued for a while that he would miss his flight as it was boarding. "Tough" said the person manning the x-ray machine and sent him back.

I would have laughed my socks off but had already taken them off to be x-rayed. ;)

Flip
14th Sep 2006, 14:18
Whilst I agree that those people who clog up the aisles whilst they load several pieces of hand luggage into the overhead lockers are annoying - the airlines themselves have to take some blame for this.

The 20kg checked baggage limit is unrealistic on a long haul flight to a destination where many people may be staying several weeks or months.

In addition, it about time they sorted out the theiving scum that go through the luggage at some airports. I carry several items of hand luggage now because I dare not leave anything valuable in my main suitcases. My bags have been gone through several times on the way back from Bangkok and items stolen - always the return leg. So now I have one extra bag containing my camera and the like - what's the alternative?

Vinny
22nd Sep 2006, 20:44
Baggage Restrictions (http://www.baa.com/portal/controller/dispatcher.jsp?CiID=566cefdec403d010VgnVCM10000036821c0a____&CtID=a22889d8759a0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____&Ct=B2C_CT_PRESS_RELEASE&ChPath=Corporate%5EMedia%20Centre%5ENews%20Releases%5EResults) have been revised from 22 September, 2006.

maokaang
22nd Sep 2006, 22:08
Thanks to the member who PM'd me with the new scanned leaflets. Here they are in their original format from the BAA (PDF file):

New Security Rules 22/09/2006 (http://www.baa.com/assets/B2CPortal/Static%20Files/NewSecurityRulesV1_220906.pdf)

You need the Adobe Reader installed on your computer to view/print the above file. If you don't already have it, it can be downloaded free from here (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html).

Regards

iancanton
3rd Nov 2006, 11:28
NEW RULES FOR HAND BAGGAGE AT ALL AIRPORTS IN THE EUROPEAN UNION

KLM would like to inform you, effective November 6, 2006, new rules for the contents of hand baggage will apply for all airline passengers throughout the European Union (EU).

Passengers may only carry small quantities (max. 100 ml per container) of liquids, gels and aerosols in their hand baggage. The packaging of these products must also meet specific requirements. This applies for all passengers departing from or catching connecting flights at airports within the European Union.

The new rules apply for liquids such as water and other soft drinks, but also extend to gels, pastes, lotions, and the contents of aerosols. This includes toiletries such as toothpaste, shaving cream, hair gel, lip gloss, and facial creams.

The following rules apply for liquids in hand baggage:

1. You are only allowed to carry liquids and gels in containers with a volume of 100 ml or less;
2. These containers may only be carried in a transparent plastic bag;
3. Each passenger may only carry one such transparent plastic bag;
4. The volume of the transparent plastic bag may not exceed 1 litre;
5. The transparent plastic bag must be re-sealable;

You may bring a transparent plastic bag from home.

During the introductory period, you will receive transparent plastic bags free-of-charge at all airports in the Netherlands.

Two exceptions will be made:

- baby formula that is required during the flight;
- medication that is required during the flight

You will still be allowed to make (tax-free) purchases at European airports after passing through passport control and aboard flights operated by European airlines. Liquids and gels that you purchase after passing through passport control or aboard the aircraft will be packed and sealed for you in the shop or on board, if necessary. The package seal will remain valid for 24 hours. If you have to catch a connecting flight, you will not be allowed to break the seal until you have reached your final destination.

Separate presentation of contents

When passing through security control, you will be required to present all liquids separately. The transparent plastic bag should be sealed and easily re-sealable. You are also required to separately present your coat, jacket and larger electrical equipment, such as laptops, when passing through security control.