PDA

View Full Version : Certification of my sponsors docs? yes/no?

Martyn
30th May 2007, 13:53
Well on the way to completing my sponsors documents for my Mrs`s cousins potential visit.
I have read on some advice I need some documents certified by a solicitor? and then some say not... the guidence notes don`t mention this?

Do I need to copy every page of our UK passports?
Get them certified as original by a solicitor?
Do any other documents need to be certified?

any help appreciated.. thanx

Martyn

Martyn
30th May 2007, 13:53
Well on the way to completing my sponsors documents for my Mrs`s cousins potential visit.
I have read on some advice I need some documents certified by a solicitor? and then some say not... the guidence notes don`t mention this?

Do I need to copy every page of our UK passports?
Get them certified as original by a solicitor?
Do any other documents need to be certified?

any help appreciated.. thanx

Martyn

Noi & Nick
30th May 2007, 23:59
Originally posted by Martyn:
Do I need to copy every page of our UK passports? Yes, including the blank pages.
Get them certified as original by a solicitor? Yes, or commissioner for oaths, senior police officer, doctor etc.
Do any other documents need to be certified? All documents should, if possible, be originals. Financial evidence, bank statements, pay slips etc, should always be originals or certified copies.

Many would say that the above is not really necessary, but I think it is always better to supply too much rather than too little.

cardiffnoddy
31st May 2007, 01:09
Interesting that you say the sponsor needs to have their passport certified when applying for a visitor visa. Over the last 3 years my girlfriend, now wife came to visit me four times and I only ever sent photocopies of my passport signed only by myself. Is this a new development? I understand for a SV the passport needs to be certified.

Noi & Nick
31st May 2007, 04:25
The document checklist (http://ukvac-th.com/images/social-visit.pdf) just says a "FULL COPY" but as I say above, I'd rather do it and find I didn't need to than not do it and find the application rejected for the sake of a few quid.

Also, there is now a red banner scrolling across the checklist page (http://ukvac-th.com/checklists.aspx) saying that wef 7th May original documents only. Obviously this may not be possible with a passport, so a certified copy should do; an ordinary photocopy, IMHO, wont..

Martyn
31st May 2007, 12:10
I think this proves that it seems to a gray area? Can anybody who`s applied recently pass on any feedback?

I think I will get them certified to be on safe side..

Martyn

Nick1810
31st May 2007, 13:26
Martyn

As Nick says better to be safe than sorry. :nod:

With Fon's VV application last June and SV application this January we supplied a certified copy of every page of my passport - and we were successful both times. I photocopied it myself at work and a local solicitor certified all the pages for about £15.

Good luck with the application! :thumb:

Nick and Fon

ash
31st May 2007, 20:35
Nicks red banner states a copy can be sent with the original to allow the embassy to return the originals. I would imagine in that case that certification of the copy is unnecessary as the original is available for comparison.

ash

cardiffnoddy
1st Jun 2007, 00:41
Martyn, when we had/have any queries about visa applications my wife rings the embassy direct and asks them. She came over for 3 weeks last Christmas and we didn't need my photocopies of my passport certified then. If it's possible get your gf/wife's cousin to ring the embassy and ask if a certified copy is needed for a visitor visa, that way you'll now for sure. And then let the rest of us know :)