PDA

View Full Version : Customs... tax.. import duty etc?

SyThai
13th Jul 2008, 05:19
Just folowing on from previous post (http://thailand-uk.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/56010002/m/7701017213/r/9781097213#9781097213)

I was just wondering how this works.... and how much might be charged ? It's going to be about 10 x t shirts and 4 pairs of jeans.

Does anyone know what charges would normally be incurred.... and is this only if customs decide to open package :angel:

Thanks,

Sy

Ivan
13th Jul 2008, 09:10
The parcel should have an customs declaration on the outside detailing contents and value. If it gets "stopped" HMCE will base taxes on that plus the post office/parcel force will add a handling fee. If the parcel is marked as gift the duty is not charged on items less than £36 or if the item is not a gift and the value is less than £22. Also if the parcel is more than the above value duty is waived if less than £7.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channel...yType=document#P4_64 (http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD1_028719&propertyType=document#P4_64)

In the past when I have brought a lot of items on ebay it seemed the bigger the parcel the more likely it got "stung" IMHO.

HMCE have the right to open a parcel to value it's contents and check for illegal items. Always best to get the sender to complete a customs form stuck on the outside of the parcel.

10 Shirts and 4 jeans will be over the gift allowance so I expect you will get caught for 17.5% VAT unless the clothes are children's clothes. Not sure if there is any import duty as this depends on the item and country, but I read somewhere that gifts below £290 are charged at 3.5%.

Also you will be charged tax on the post cost.

Ivan

SyThai
13th Jul 2008, 11:52
Thanks Ivan..... thats a good help, understand bit better now :)

duty is not charged on items less than £36 or if the item is not a gift and the value is less than £22

Just wondering how do they value the items, if a T shirt is 100B and jeans 800B do you reckon this is this the value they will use :angel:

Might be worth sending as 2 packages... but probably end up costing fair bit more on P+P :(

Ivan
13th Jul 2008, 15:39
Just wondering how do they value the items, if a T shirt is 100B and jeans 800B do you reckon this is this the value they will use

HMCE will use details from the customs document that should be sent with the parcel. Along as the item(s) seem consistent they will use the customs document, if they feel the customs document under values the items then they will value the items to what they think is "fair market value". So if the person sending you the items puts the true value on the documentation then customs should use that.

If the parcel does not have a customs document then they will use their own judgement of "fair market value". So I find it best to make sure the customs document is sent with the parcel, if not you might have some HMCE officer decide that your Thai jeans are worth £30 per pair rather than £12 or even worse they are copies of designer jeans in which case they could be confiscated.

Also when they say item they do mean per parcel or consigment not just per item inside the parcel. So you could have two parcels sent but then as you say you are going to pay more postage.

I the past when I used to do a lot of buying and selling on ebay. I expected a 50/50 chance of a parcel being charged by HMCE and a rough cost of 10-30%. Not sure how these ratios compare today.

Kind Regards

Ivan