PDA

View Full Version : Return ticket needed for visit entry to Uk?

Noi & Nick
18th Nov 2008, 13:19
I'm about to apply for a visit visa for Noi's sister, Nid. The plan is that she comes to stay with us (hopefully arriving in time for Christmas) and then returns to Thailand with us when we go next April.

Nid has never flown before and it would be better for her to fly direct when coming here as she will be on her own. Although I am aware that we can arrange for someone from the airline to look after her.

However, when we fly out next April we will probably be flying with Qatar as Poy's boyfriend says his uncle can get us cheap tickets. Obviously we would want Nid to return to Thailand on the same flight as us.

Hence my questions.

Is it possible to enter the UK as a visitor without a return or onward ticket?

If not (I think it isn't) is it possible to buy some sort of refundable open ended return BKK-LHR-BKK and then cash it in once in the UK? If we did this would such a ticket cause problems at immigration when she first arrives?

Tobias
18th Nov 2008, 13:28
Originally posted by Noi & Nick:
Is it possible to enter the UK as a visitor without a return or onward ticket? I'm afraid not really Nick. Those who arrive in the UK on a visitor visa effectively must have onward travel tickets.

Originally posted by Noi & Nick:
If not (I think it isn't) is it possible to buy some sort of refundable open ended return BKK-LHR-BKK and then cash it in once in the UK? If we did this would such a ticket cause problems at immigration when she first arrives? That might be possible, but make sure you are not giving an Immigration Officer ammunition to refuse entry.

Noi & Nick
18th Nov 2008, 13:52
Thanks, Tobias, that's as I feared.

I have a feeling I'm going to have to buy a normal return and then try and cancel it once she is here. Expensive, but still cheaper than all of us flying Thai next April.

Merseymike
18th Nov 2008, 14:57
The airline check-in staff may put a spanner in the works, but from the UK IO's perspective, there is no requirement for a visitor to hold a ticket out of the country.

Indeed, the Immigration Rules do not specify that an onward or return ticket must be held, but, rather, that the passenger can meet the cost of his onward or return travel: these are two different notions.

That a passenger possesses a one-way ticket is simply insufficient, by itself, for an IO to overturn the visa and refuse entry to the passenger where evidence otherwise exists that there are sufficient funds to cover onward travel and that the intentions are genuine. That a passenger holds a visa is indicative that they have already established these points beyond reasonable doubt. However, the airline may be concerned about being fined £2000.00, totally missing the point that if the passenger has a visa, the fine would never be levied.

ash
19th Nov 2008, 03:13
If you know when your traveling buy a return from the same airport on the same day and approx the same times that way you can put her on the flight and in all probability meet up at the Thai end of the journey.

She should be fine once she is on the plane and that should also be cheaper than trying to get a one way flight back from the UK. It also removes any issues regarding the return ticket.