PDA

View Full Version : Thai Birth Attestations

ChelseaBill
25th Nov 2007, 10:37
I needed a birth certificate for my wife to satisfy the French 'Carte de Sejour' (Residency Permit/ID Card).

I thought we were screwed as Phorn's eyes glazed over and said, "no haff'.

The Parisian Police Prefecture suggested with a snarl that we approach the Thai Consulate as they were known to issue attestations in lieu of birth certificates.

The Paris Thai Consulate were excellent - unbelievable for a Thai bureaucracy. My wife produced an uncertified copy of her parent's 'house registration' and told the Thai Civil Servant her mother's maiden name, given name and her father's given name and that was that... A day later we had x2 letters attesting to Phorn's birth, lineage, etc all signed and duly sealed by the resident Thai Consul.

This letter of attestation from the Thai Consulate appeased the French Prefecture as they accepted this in lieu. Unbelievably, Phorn has been issued a Carte de Sejour for 10yrs. This, we are told, is a good travel document for all of the Schengen countries. So far, no border check has given us any reason to doubt its validity as a 10yr Schengen visa...

The objective of this note is to alert members that formal attestations from the Thai Consul maybe accepted in lieu of missing docs...

Chok dee...

ChelseaBill
25th Nov 2007, 10:37
I needed a birth certificate for my wife to satisfy the French 'Carte de Sejour' (Residency Permit/ID Card).

I thought we were screwed as Phorn's eyes glazed over and said, "no haff'.

The Parisian Police Prefecture suggested with a snarl that we approach the Thai Consulate as they were known to issue attestations in lieu of birth certificates.

The Paris Thai Consulate were excellent - unbelievable for a Thai bureaucracy. My wife produced an uncertified copy of her parent's 'house registration' and told the Thai Civil Servant her mother's maiden name, given name and her father's given name and that was that... A day later we had x2 letters attesting to Phorn's birth, lineage, etc all signed and duly sealed by the resident Thai Consul.

This letter of attestation from the Thai Consulate appeased the French Prefecture as they accepted this in lieu. Unbelievably, Phorn has been issued a Carte de Sejour for 10yrs. This, we are told, is a good travel document for all of the Schengen countries. So far, no border check has given us any reason to doubt its validity as a 10yr Schengen visa...

The objective of this note is to alert members that formal attestations from the Thai Consul maybe accepted in lieu of missing docs...

Chok dee...

John
25th Nov 2007, 11:53
Chelsea Bill, that is great.

As regards travelling around "Schengenland", as I probably don't need to tell you, there are no internal borders. If you drive north from Paris and reach the Belgian border ... totally open .... nothing to indicate that you are in Belgium except the road signs. Likewise drive south and on the motorway just north of Nice, go east to Italy, and again the border is totally open. Only the roadsigns and the different language tell you that you are in Italy.

And on flights internal in "Schengenland", whilst there is a normal airline check-in, there are no immigration-style checks. For example when we flew from Barcelona, Spain to Copenhagen, Denmark, no immigration-style checks either in Barcelona or in Copenhagen.

What was particularly strange was flying from Copenhagen, Denmark to Oslo, Norway. Both countries in the Schengen area, but whilst Denmark is in the EU, Norway is not! So whilst no immigration-style checks, we still had access to the the duty-free area, as we were leaving the EU. Likewise when flying from Oslo, Norway to Stockholm, Sweden.

In short, no reason why your wife would encounter any problem moving around the Schengen area.

ash
25th Nov 2007, 21:40

Unless this was before April this year then you did not need this document but as the French have a habit of not even standing by there own laws never mind EU law its no surprise they asked for it anyway.

My missus got her Carte de sejour earlier this year after a minor battle with the prefect who also invented documentary requirements one of which was impossible to get , but with some help from SOLVIT and the EU commissioners proved to be not required after all.

ash

PS The Titre de sejour also gives her entry into Switzerland

John
26th Nov 2007, 01:41
Ash, have we now got a definitive date for Switzerland to join the Schengen area? If so, the date?

ash
26th Nov 2007, 02:19
Don't think so John all I can find is sometime in 2008

ash

The Zuerich airport website suggests it will be autumn next year