PDA

View Full Version : ILR and ESOL with citizenship

cardiffnoddy
12th Oct 2008, 07:15
Hi,

Just had a look at the new SET (M) forms for ILR and I notice it states that If your English is already at or above ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) Entry Level 3, you can take the test known as the Life in the UK test.'

My wife is currently studying ESOL Level 1 having passed Entry Level 3 earlier in the year, both containing citizenship content.

My question is does she have to take the Life in the UK test as her English was at Entry Level 3 when she entered the country or is having progressed to Level 1 sufficient?

John
12th Oct 2008, 07:21
cardiffnoddy, I think the important word there is "can" as in "If your English is already at or above ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) Entry Level 3, you can take the test known as the Life in the UK test.'".

And that is quite correct. The test is set at the Entry 3 level, so anyone at that level or higher should be able to read the study book, understand its meaning, and then take and hopefully pass the test.

My question is does she have to take the Life in the UK test as her English was at Entry Level 3 when she entered the country or is having progressed to Level 1 sufficient?

The answer to that must be .... when applying for her ILR she needs to produce either a pass certificate from the test, or a completion certificate from a combined ESOL/Citizenship course. The course she is doing, will it produce the required completion certificate?

davyz
13th Oct 2008, 01:06
Cardiffnoddy,

If your wife has passed ESOL entry level 3 already do you know what level she was assessed at when she started? I say this because if she was assessed at ESOL entry level 2 and studied for and passed ESOL entry 3 and it was taught in the citizenship context etc, then would that not prove progression from one level to another and qualify her for ILR already, assuming all the other requirements have been met?

Regards.
Dave.

John
13th Oct 2008, 01:32
The point is, has she or can she be issued with the required completion certificate? If the answer to that is no, maybe because the course is not accredited, then she will have to pass the test.

cardiffnoddy
13th Oct 2008, 02:07
Thanks for the replies guys. She has not yet received the certificates but will be shortly, the college is thankfully on the ball with what documents are required for students wanting ILR etc.

My wife won't be applying for ILR until November next year anyway. It just seemed pointless studying and paying for the Life in the UK test if it wasn't necessary.

Cheers