PDA

View Full Version : how long to renew passport in BKK

ash
11th Aug 2008, 11:47
How long does it take to renew a Thai passport in Bangkok ?
Can we renew a passport in Udon Thani or Khon Kaen ?

Anyone with recent experience ?

Thanks in advance
ash

ash
11th Aug 2008, 11:47
How long does it take to renew a Thai passport in Bangkok ?
Can we renew a passport in Udon Thani or Khon Kaen ?

Anyone with recent experience ?

Thanks in advance
ash

asngirly
11th Aug 2008, 12:14
It takes 2 business days to get a new passport but it will take longer if you have them posted to you.

Here's the number of passport office in Khon Kaen 0-4324-2707, 0-4324-3462, 0-4324-2655.

Hope this helps
;)

ash
11th Aug 2008, 12:16
Thanks very much thats really useful.
ash

andy muay thai
11th Aug 2008, 14:13
can a thai renew a thai passport or change a name in there passport in the uk or do you always have to go bacl to LOS to do it

Vinny
11th Aug 2008, 17:26
Originally posted by andy muay thai:
can a thai renew a thai passport or change a name in there passport in the uk or do you always have to go bacl to LOS to do it May be done in person at the Royal Thai Embassy (http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/e_passport_en.html).

SyThai
11th Aug 2008, 23:56
or change a name in there passport in the uk or do you always have to go back to LOS to do it

(someone correct if I'm wrong please)

We went to the Thai Embassey earlier this year to renew Su's passport, as we didnt have time to wait for new one to be sent from BKK.

And I asked about when we do come to have a new passport issued how do we change the name to our married name (on the actual main page with Su's photo / passport number etc)they said this is not possible unless we get su's name changed on her 'house book' tabian and ID card first, and this can only be done in Thailand.

What you can get done here is have one of your amendments and endorsments' pages stamped with name change.

noel
12th Aug 2008, 00:04
Sy,
In short, "yes".

Change the ID card, tabian baan then passport.

I'm guessing you maried in the UK since if you had a Thai marriage cert you'd have seen the note on the back telling you to change the above. Some do the change, some don't and when you come to do the change later on "tea money" comes into effect.

Noel

ash
12th Aug 2008, 00:26
Change the ID card, tabian baan then passport.

I understood you can get the Tabien Baan changed by writing a power of attorney for the family in Thailand , as they use the Tabien Baan entry to determine the name for the passport. Is this not the case ?

ash

noel
12th Aug 2008, 06:11
Ash,
I know somebody recently who changed their ID card whilst in England by asking a relative in Thailand to do it. They were first refused but when the Phu Yai Baan went with them next time shortly after, everything was ok. Obviously involved a sweetener but doesn't everything in Thailand. No mention of power of attorney though.
As for the passport, my wife used both her ID card and tabien baan to get her passport but I only needed my birth certificate.
Noel

ash
12th Aug 2008, 06:16
Noel
Thanks for that :thumb: the Phu Yai Baan is my brother in law so that should be a piece of cake. We will draw up the power of attorney at the Thai consulate in Basel and post that with the papers before we fly out.

Hopefully when we get there the Tabien Baan will be done so we can then just get the new passport. I think for the ID card she will need a new photo etc.

Thanks for the info
ash

noel
12th Aug 2008, 11:46
Ash,
The ID and tabien baan should happen all at the same time and takes minutes to do since it's all computerised now, if the people behind the counter have a mind to look after you properly. If you're going in person for the id card why go to the trouble of the power of attorney (which you can get around) to get the tabien baan done in advance.

Obviously your choice to do as you please but hopefully this helps!

ash
13th Aug 2008, 00:29
If you're going in person for the id card why go to the trouble of the power of attorney (which you can get around) to get the tabien baan done in advance.

Because with the Tabien Baan she can renew her passport (ID Card not needed) hopefully on day 1 of the forthcoming trip, while we are in catch up on sleep mode after the flight.

If its computerised now does that mean you can use any Amphur or is it still required to use the local one ?
ash

jimbojet
13th Aug 2008, 02:56
Hi All,
Further to the above, the little ladies passport runs out in Jan, so we intend to get a new one in BKK when we go in 2 weeks time.
Will there be a problem leving the Uk with less than 6 months remaining?
Also will they give us the old one back with the Visa inside until we apply for ILR in sept next year?