PDA

View Full Version : Thai fathers rights

jack m
13th Feb 2007, 05:55
Does an unmarried Thai father named on a childs birth certificate have any rights under Thai law?

jack m
13th Feb 2007, 05:55
Does an unmarried Thai father named on a childs birth certificate have any rights under Thai law?

Tobias
13th Feb 2007, 06:45
I would expect so - but perhaps that isn't the correct question?

Are you asking this question in relation to a visa application?

Skippy
13th Feb 2007, 06:45
Yeah, in relation to what?
Your partners child?

Please give more info because as somebody pointed oout the other day his family has rights too!

-Skippy

-Keith-
13th Feb 2007, 07:14

If the mother has a legal sole custody agreement then the answer is probably no. If she dosen't then yes he probably does.

Tony & Apple
13th Feb 2007, 07:26
If the mother has a legal sole custody agreement then the answer is probably no

and if this is the case then the mother will be allowed to obtain a visa to bring the child to the UK.
(of course all other requirements for a visa will have ot be met and the sole custody document provided)

when the child gets to the UK the step parent will also be able to apply for parental responsiblity.

Step-Parent Parental Responsibility Agreement (http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/cpra2_1205.pdf)

jack m
13th Feb 2007, 18:20
sorry chaps, i'm asking because my wife and i would like me to get parental responsability here in the UK.

GTG
13th Feb 2007, 18:54
You've ignored the important question again, Jack. Does your wife have a sole custody agreement? If she does then I don't think you even need to bother with the responsibility agreement, you have that right automatically as the spouse of the child's mother. I think.

jack m
14th Feb 2007, 04:53
My wife doesn't have a sole custody agreement. Last year I had to take my son to hospital for non emmergency treatment while my wife was in Thailand. The Hospital saw from his records I wasn't his biological father and asked to see evidence of Adoption or Parental Responsability. I thought being his Step-Father gave me the right to sign the consent forms. I was wrong.

John
14th Feb 2007, 04:58
GTG posted :-

If she does then I don't think you even need to bother with the responsibility agreement, you have that right automatically as the spouse of the child's mother. I think.

I am not sure that is correct. We have certainly entered into a Step-Parent Parental Responsibility Agreement as regards Grace, now nearly 12. So that there is absolutely no doubt I could, if needed, give consent to a medical operation, have a part in deciding the school to be attended, etc etc.

Tony & Apple
14th Feb 2007, 04:59
Step-Parent Parental Responsibility Agreement (http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/cpra2_1205.pdf)

this is the route to obtaining that right

also the form makes it clear it is best to seek legal adice before making an application

The making of this agreement will affect the legal
position of the parent(s) and the step-parent. You
should seek legal advice before you make the
Agreement.

Tobias
14th Feb 2007, 05:40
Originally posted by jack m:
sorry chaps, i'm asking because my wife and i would like me to get parental responsability here in the UK. So where is the child now? Is he here in the UK? Does he have a UK visa? If so, what kind of visa?

jack m
14th Feb 2007, 14:17
He's in the Uk with me and the wife. Mother and son have British Citizenship.

Tobias
15th Feb 2007, 03:10
In that case Jack, I presume you will have produced some documents to the British Embassy showing your wife to have sole custody of the child?

Is this the case? If that is not the case, what evidence did you produce to the Embassy to satisfy the visa rules regarding sole custody?

maokaang
15th Feb 2007, 03:51
My wife doesn't have a sole custody agreement.
He's in the Uk with me and the wife. Mother and son have British Citizenship. AFAIK it would not have been possible for your stepson to come to the UK in the first place, joining only his mother, unless she had already proved to the British Embassy that she had sole custody.

jack m
16th Feb 2007, 03:08
Thanks for the help. I've asked my wife again with the help of a Thai student. She does have papers signed by the Amphur giving sole custody. Sorry about the poor information. Communication breakdown between the wife and me.

Tobias
16th Feb 2007, 03:13
Exactly as expected there Jack! And in that case the answer to your question is that the father no longer has any rights (unless Thai law allows him to ask the court there to change things in the future - but until then he will have no rights).

So you are able to enter in to a Step-Parent Parental Responsibility Agreement here in the UK without the consent of the biological father.