PDA

View Full Version : Retirement in Moung Thai

Callum
4th May 2009, 02:25
Can anyone please tell me what the criteria is too retire to Moung Thai. I am married to my souy pan ra ya,Chanjira,who has a business in Phayao. It is our business,but under Thai law I am not legally a partner. I just wondered if the same applied in Moung Thai as it does in UK and that Chanjira has too prove that she can support her spouse. Also can I as a UK citizen apply for a Thai passport if resident there and have dual nationality?

Callum

Harvey at home
4th May 2009, 04:02
Hello Callum and Joy and welcome to the forum

Regards Harvey & Wan

db1
4th May 2009, 04:45
Hello Calum, welcome to the forum.

You have to apply for a spouse visa, and have to prove an income of at least 40thousand bht per month, or have in your bank at least 600,thousand bht per year or every time you renew the visa as well as having to go to the Immigration dept every ninety days to register with them so they know that you still live where you told them.

No you can not hold a Thai passport, A Thai may hold a British passport.

dan&ploy
4th May 2009, 05:38
Hi Callum,

Welcome to the forum.

You may be able to get permanent residency after three years, see this thread (http://thailand-uk.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/94010002/m/4521026823). I say maybe because I don't actually know of anyone who has achieved it and I don't think anyone on this forum has.

I think you can have your name on the business, 49/51% I think, at least my wife and I did but legally I don't know how that would hold up. If you can legally be part of the business (i.e. a business not excluded from foreigners) then you can apply for a type B visa instead of the type O (retirement) visa.

If I am wrong in any of these details I am sure a fellow forum member will correct me.

ddwjg
4th May 2009, 05:39
No you can not hold a Thai passport,

Are you sure of that fact, DB1, as I was under the impression that, along with learning to read and write Thai to the standard of an 11 year-old Thai school kid, plus a multitude of other things, one could hold a Thai passport.

However,I can't see any reason why one would want to have one.

If you are literally rolling in money, with no worries, you can apply for residency. Non-refundable application fee is around 300,000 baht, Only 100 per country of origin are issued per year. Residency would also allow you to own land, in your own right.

Dave

db1
4th May 2009, 05:51
Originally posted by ddwjg:

Are you sure of that fact, DB1, as I was under the impression that, along with learning to read and write Thai to the standard of an 11 year-old Thai school kid, plus a multitude of other things, one could hold a Thai passport.

Quite sure I think you used to be able after you had been resident for ten years, but that stopped a long time ago

bristolgeoff
4th May 2009, 06:01
you can get a year visa which will last 15mths.b type visa.just passport control every 3 mths at immigration.the rest has being said allready.i thought you had to have 400,000 for year because you are married 800,000 if not married,{retirment visa}.unless the rules change you can only own 49% of any business.good luck in getting what you want

richardb
5th May 2009, 05:33
Originally posted by CALLUM:
Can anyone please tell me what the criteria is too retire to Moung Thai. I am married to my souy pan ra ya,Chanjira,who has a business in Phayao.

Callum

Not my field mate but having visited Phayao I can see why you want to live there. Lovely lake, mountains nearbye, fresh .... lovely

Richard

Yo & Dave
5th May 2009, 11:42
who has a business in Phayao. It is our business,but under Thai law I am not legally a partner.
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you could be a partner in a Thai business,as long as your Thai partner had the controlling share .

prioritypress
7th May 2009, 12:24
Originally posted by db1:

Originally posted by ddwjg:

Quite sure I think you used to be able after you had been resident for ten years, but that stopped a long time ago

There's a couple of very interesting threads on Thai visa about the route to Thai citizenship.

Goes something like this (from Thai visa).

"Interesting. So given that this 5 year period includes time spent on non-imm, the theoretical minimum stay before citizenship would now be around 9 years:

1) Arrive in year 1 on a non-imm visa and start work, early enough in year 1 to accrue sufficient taxable income before the end of that year.
2) Collect PNG 91 tax returns for years 1,2 & 3. This would carry over into year 4. The the PNG 91 for year 3 necessary to apply for PR would be in hand in early year 4, too late to apply for PR at the end of year 3
3) Apply for PR at the and of year 4
4) Get PR in year 6 (seems to be a 2 year wait these days)
5) Apply for citizenship immediately PR is granted in year 6, having collected PNG 91 for all the preceding 3 years
6) Get citizenship around year 9 (assuming a 3 year wait for citizenship)"

Or in short:

Approximately, as follows:

Three years before you can apply for PR (Permanent Residence)
Two to three years to have PR granted
Three years to have citizenship granted

So in about 8 or 9 years, if you have continuous visas, pay your tax, pass the Thai language tests and interviews, you could get citizenship and a passport and thus dual nationality.

Nick

prioritypress
7th May 2009, 12:28
Originally posted by CALLUM:
Can anyone please tell me what the criteria is too retire to Moung Thai. I am married to my souy pan ra ya,Chanjira,who has a business in Phayao. It is our business,but under Thai law I am not legally a partner. I just wondered if the same applied in Moung Thai as it does in UK and that Chanjira has too prove that she can support her spouse. Also can I as a UK citizen apply for a Thai passport if resident there and have dual nationality?

Callum

You need to research visa's on the "Thai Visa" forum. What type of visa do you want? Marriage? Retirement? etc The rules and income requirement are different for each.

How old are you?

Nick

Callum
7th May 2009, 14:20
First of all we would like to thank all for welcoming us both into the forum.
Hi Nick.....Age is 51
Hi Richardb....Yes Phayao is so....well hard to put into words really.....you have to go to appreciate its beauty
As for being a partner in business I must admit that I assumed I couldn't be with not being a resident.
Thank you all for your comments & advice.

Merseymike
7th May 2009, 14:58
Callum,

In general terms, you have two options with regard to a prolonged stay in Thailand. You can enter on a non-immigrant 'O' visa which will give you 90 days. Within the last month, you can then make an application for a one-year extension based either on your marriage to a Thai or your age. For the former, you need to have 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account and for the latter 800,000. There might be further income requirements too, but I'm not so sure what they are.

Should you get the one-year extension, you do not have to leave Thailand to do visa-runs every 90 days. Instead, you simply have to report in to the local immigration office. At the end of the year, you then apply for another one-year extension, and so it goes on. Having this extension does not permit you to work. If you wished to do so, you would still require a work permit from the Labour Dept.

After you have had three consecutive one-year extensions, you can seek permanent residence. This is limited to a set number of applications per year per nationality, but I have it on good authority that it is very rare for the quota to be over-subscribed. However, you do need to be able to speak Thai to a certain standard and anecdotal evidence suggests that those who have paid large amounts of tax are more likely to be successful. Ultimately, you could apply for Thai citizenship.

CWattana
7th May 2009, 22:29
I believe that if you go the age way ...extension based on retirement...then you cannot go for residency...

maokaang
7th May 2009, 22:49
For the former, you need to have 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account and for the latter 800,000. There might be further income requirements too, but I'm not so sure what they are. The money can be in a Thai or UK bank. If the latter, a notary letter from the British Embassy in Bangkok is required. A similar letter is also required if you need to show evidence of your income/pension in the UK.

Financial requirements for non-O, 1 year visa extensions are:

'Retirement' extension: 800,000 in the bank or 65,000 per month income. A combination of either will suffice, e.g. 400,000 in the bank plus 32,500 per month income.

'Thai Wife' extension: 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 per month income.

Income needs to evidenced for the 3 months prior to application. I believe 'money in the bank' also needs to be shown over a similar period.

The rules change frequently so this information may be outdated any time. A couple of years ago the 400,000 in the bank criteria was removed for 'Thai Wife' extensions but was reinstated again a few weeks ago.

I too have yet to meet a farang in Thailand with permanent residence, let alone a Thai passport. I'm sure they exist but not one of the many hundreds I've met here have been so lucky. While the law does cater for it, the word 'pipe dream' springs to mind.

T.I.T.

http://www.stockauditor.co.uk/tuk/images/ConsularLetter.gif

Incidentally, it costs more for the notary letter from the British Embassy than it does for the visa. A 12 month visa extension is only ฿1900.

No charge is made for the 90 days reporting (form TM.47) but heavy fines can be imposed if you don't comply.

http://www.stockauditor.co.uk/tuk/images/VisaExtension.gif

The writing in red at the top says ภรรยาไทย - phanraya thai - Thai Wife.

The writing at the bottom explains that if you want to leave the country you must obtain a re-entry permit BEFORE leaving. These are ฿1000 for a single re-entry and ฿3800 for a multiple re-entry permit. The permit is valid for as long as your visa extension. Failure to obtain a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand will cancel your visa and you'll need to start over again.

:)