PDA

View Full Version : RE: ISA

m0ntecarl0
21st Dec 2009, 12:55
Just opened up an e-ISA for my wife on Saturday at the HSBC. She has her own HSBC single account.

Was told as long as she has NI no. all is okay.....she does as we are claiming child and I am claiming working tax credits.

She has no access to public funds yet as still on her 2 year spouse visa.

Question - looking at it in more depth today, the HSBC says she needs to be a UK resident - she is not yet - does it matter?

She hasnt paid any NI, but guess the HSBC are happy if they allowed her to open up the ISA....

Does anyone know what entitlements she will be too when I claim for my pension (not for many years yet) even thought she hasnt paid any NI?

Thanks

John
21st Dec 2009, 13:21
Question - looking at it in more depth today, the HSBC says she needs to be a UK resident - she is not yet - does it matter?

She is living in the UK, so she is tax resident in the UK, so is perfectly entitled to open an ISA.

The pension question, roughly how many years in the future will you start to draw this? If many, consider that there will be one or more changes of Government before then, and it is very difficult to predict what the legislation might be in the future.

m0ntecarl0
21st Dec 2009, 15:14
thanks John - I got a letter the other day - I have worked for 22 years paying NI - because I was out of the country in 2007 (gave up job) to be with wife in Thailand, I was told if I wanted to pay 400GBP now I could top up my NI - as have to work 30 years to get a state pension.......wont do this - will just work another 8 years.

want to be in Thailand asap to teach after wife gets her ILR and british citizenship......ILR in May (we hope) followed by naturalisation on 2011.

what are the rules with regard to pension - would my spouse be entitled to a pension even though she hasnt paid any NI?

I also have a private pension which I paid into for 22 years- is she entitled to anything?

what are the rules if you live abroad - can you draw a pension from the state in the UK even if you are living abroad?

just a few things I wanted to bare in mind for the future.

many thanks

steve187
21st Dec 2009, 17:30
thanks John - I got a letter the other day - I have worked for 22 years paying NI - because I was out of the country in 2007 (gave up job) to be with wife in Thailand, I was told if I wanted to pay 400GBP now I could top up my NI - as have to work 30 years to get a state pension.......wont do this - will just work another 8 years.

want to be in Thailand asap to teach after wife gets her ILR and british citizenship......ILR in May (we hope) followed by naturalisation on 2011.

what are the rules with regard to pension - would my spouse be entitled to a pension even though she hasnt paid any NI?

I also have a private pension which I paid into for 22 years- is she entitled to anything?

what are the rules if you live abroad - can you draw a pension from the state in the UK even if you are living abroad?

just a few things I wanted to bare in mind for the future.

many thanks

Uk pensions require for both male and female 30 years contributions for a full pension, if less is paid a pro rata pension is paid, this can be achieved by either paid NI contributions, voluntry Ni contributions or credit for raising a family etc. as from next april womens retiring age increases to 65 in line with men, and this is increasing to 67 over the coming years, also as from next april no 'married mans' pension will be paid for new claimants, only single pension.
Pension forecasts are available online from the pensions service www.direct.gov.uk/pensions.
pensions are payable abroad but if you notify the authorities you are living in Thailand no yearly increases are paid.

m0ntecarl0
27th Dec 2009, 11:31
I have been gatherning evidence for wife's ILR in May 2010 but just worried if I have enough over the last 2 years - worry is we have no utility bills as we are living with my mother and they are in all her name.

My wife has a bank account (joint with me, single, e-ISA and savings). She ha provisional licence, various communications from hospitals, etc as our son was born in March this year.....what other paperwork can I use - we have Tax credit letters in both names, NI number letter and letter from Gt Ormande St hospital - just would like some advise - is it worth getting the council to write a letter to confirm we still reside at mothers address - just concerned the IL might be rejected as no bills?

manfarang
27th Dec 2009, 11:56

You should ask your private pension provider this question.