PDA

View Full Version : Do we go back to thailand?

m0ntecarl0
4th Jan 2010, 14:46
My wife has had a call from Thailand that her mother is very ill, so thinking of flying back to Thailand in the next few days.......problem she cant fly on her own as she's unsure what to do so I will have to go with her - we also have 10 month old son so will have to take him too - all passports are okay.

Worry is I will probably loose my job (but employer not that wonderful so not too concerned) - but her ILR is due May 27th.....what happens if I dont have a job but do have savings? Will that count against the ILR (if I dont have a job?)......if I was temping bringing in some funds when applying for the ILR, would that surfice?

Thanks for any input?

John
4th Jan 2010, 15:34
problem she cant fly on her own as she's unsure what to do

Hi, what is she not sure what to do? Airlines are used to coping with passengers who have not flown before and staff are invariably trained to cope with this. But of course she has flown before, but maybe not without you?

Worry is I will probably loose my job (but employer not that wonderful so not too concerned) - but her ILR is due May 27th.....what happens if I dont have a job but do have savings?

As long as it is clear that she will not need to claim certain Public Funds, there should not be a problem. The stupid thing is that once she has her ILR she can claim any benefit without causing a problem.

The important thing is that she MUST be back in the UK in order to make the ILR application. It would be disastrous to let the current visa expire when she is still in Thailand.

Given you are talking of ILR, she has already passed the Life in the UK Citizenship test, or got a completion certificate from a combined ESOL/Citizenship course?

m0ntecarl0
4th Jan 2010, 15:38
she has her ESOL certificate and letter from the college confirming progression from one level to the next......the application isnt until end of April/May.

We left the UK for 42 days last year so only have 48 days (max 90 days I believe) to leave the UK......

thanks - job not my worry really more the point if I need to show im in employment when I apply for the ILR....

who know my employer might be sympathetic and let me have the time off unpaid?

Flip
4th Jan 2010, 20:45
Chris,

Whilst I fully understand your concerns, remember we were all first time flyers once and your wife will learn the same way we all did. As John says, airlines are used to this. One thing I would suggest if she does go alone, make it a direct flight - less chance of anything going wrong and whilst ground staff in the UK and Thailand are generally helpful, that's not always the case in other countries.

Tony & Apple
4th Jan 2010, 21:30
I would suggest if she does go alone, make it a direct flight

direct with THAI and she should have the support needed, might be more expensive than a non direct flight but cheaper than giving up your job.

kato
1st Feb 2010, 01:41
Anna was in a similar situation when father died last year and she had to fly back alone (I could not go due to work commitments). When I took her to the check in deck (Etihad / Manchester), I explained the situation and they had someone walk her throught the airport and the various staff also took care of her en route to Bangkok.

TopCat
1st Feb 2010, 10:54
she has her ESOL certificate and letter from the college confirming progression from one level to the next......the application isnt until end of April/May.

We left the UK for 42 days last year so only have 48 days (max 90 days I believe) to leave the UK......

I thought the 90 days out of UK 'rule' related to British citizenship application not ILR?

richardb
4th Feb 2010, 01:39
I hope this helps

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10034711

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10029788

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/index.htm?cids=Google_PPC&cre=Employment