PDA

View Full Version : Work permits

rjbxtream
28th Jan 2010, 11:04
I am currently trying to bring over 2 thai nationals to work in a gym in the uk, I have already been refused 3 times when making them sports visitors visas in bangkok. If anyone knows on an easier way to enable them to come to the uk for a period of no longer than 6 months it yould be a great help.

Thanks

ddwjg
28th Jan 2010, 11:43
I am currently trying to bring over 2 thai nationals to work in a gym in the uk, I have already been refused 3 times when making them sports visitors visas in bangkok. If anyone knows on an easier way to enable them to come to the uk for a period of no longer than 6 months it yould be a great help.

Thanks

rjbxtream, there are people who could help you a great deal on this forum, but in the same way that you have had 3 visa applications refused, members may be reluctant to help without a lot more info. To my knowledge, no visitor visa will allow the applicant to work. I personally have not heard of a "sports" visitor visa, so maybe I am wrong. As with the immigration officer(ECO), who assessed your applications, the main worry would be the motive of getting Thais to work in a gym. Could you elaborate a bit more, on their proposed duties, and tell us a little bit about your business. Are the Thais male or female?

Dave.

rjbxtream
28th Jan 2010, 11:53
Hi,

The sports visa is a new visa allowing people to come to the uk for sporting events. The thais I would like to bring over are male, and there purpose is to work in a gym as a muay thai trainer. As the UK has no experienced champions they would be greatly enhancing muay thai in the country. The problem I found with immigration despite having every piece of relevant paper work, was as the thais have no assets, and due to the nature of how trainers are paid(in cash) a lack of records, they refused entry on the grounds the thais would not return home.(also had return tickets purchased). So now im seeking to make them work permits in order to bring them over as paid trainers instead of just coming for a comp. Thanks

Tobias
28th Jan 2010, 13:24
rjbxtream, I'm afraid I cannot offer any positive solution to this. Based on the information provided I cannot see any feasible way of these chaps getting a work permit (or any other type of visa) to work in the UK.

The Sports visitors visa is designed for those who intend to 'visit' the UK for a specific event, tournament, competition etc. as competitors. They also permit professional sportsmen to make personal appearances, media interviews or negotiate contracts or sponsorship deals. They are not designed to allow foreign nationals to come to the Uk to work.

Under the new Points System it will be very difficult indeed to secure a permit to do what you intend.

Is the gym in question a business where members of the public attend for fitness and where certain sport classes are offered?

John
28th Jan 2010, 13:43
Tobias, totally agree, the sports visitor visa is just not appropriate here. If for example the Thai national football team wanted to come to the UK to play a game, then sports visitor visa is what the team members etc would need to apply for. But to work in a gym, no way.

But the job of muay thai trainer, rjbxtream are you saying that you have advertised in the UK and not found any suitable applications? If that is what you are saying, consider getting a sponsor licence to enable you to enable the people to apply for a Tier 2 visa ..... what used to be called a Work Permit.

rjbxtream
28th Jan 2010, 13:43
Yes I am aware about the sports visa. I dont think I have been 100% clear.
originally the thais were coming over to compete in a one off sports event per the visa, however they failed on that as they did not believe they would return to thailand. I then had a request to bring them to the gym as trainers, obviously this would mean intercting with the public and so CRB checks ect would be needed. would it be possible to bring them if they didnt work in the gym but were instead emplyed by myself as a domestic worker?
I have funds available sponsors and all relevent paper work for the visas, but I dont want to spend more money to be told there is no chance.
All help is really appeciated on this.
thanks

Gary & Nok
28th Jan 2010, 13:57
...would it be possible to bring them if they didnt work in the gym but were instead emplyed by myself as a domestic worker?...Are you then not trying to bend the rules to get them here by any means? to actually perform the thing that they know best... "Muay Thai"

Domestic workers must be ten-a-penny in the UK (no offence to those that are) so why would we need 3 "Muay Thai" domestic workers to come from Thailand?

Tobias
28th Jan 2010, 14:04
Again, based on the information provided, there is no possibility of them being issued a work permit as a domestic worker as they do not meet the eligibility requirements.

The only option appears to be a Tier 2 sportsperson work permit but again these chaps do not appear to qualify - and neither do you as a proposed sponsor.

This Sportsperson work permit is only available to elite sports people (including coaches) who are "internationally established" at the very highest level. A sponsor (and the applicant) for this type of permit must have a an endorsement from the sport's governing body. So, on both counts, it looks like this is going to be a no-hoper I'm afraid.

There are other possibilities under Tier 2, but I cannot see these provisions offering any real prospect in this case with these proposed applicants.

rjbxtream
28th Jan 2010, 15:05
Thanks for the replies, they are established at the highest level ( ex Champs, and have trained current champs) unfortuently there is no muay thai governing body in the UK, only a world council which doesnt meet UK requirements. I understand the restrictions in place, but I know of many trainers who have gone to new zealand ect. If they come to the UK they have guarenteed accom, health insurance, ect so I fail to see why its so difficult to bring them.
But once again that you for your replies they all help.

Phetchy
28th Jan 2010, 18:48
A bit obvious I know, but I would have thought someone here should be able to point you in the right direction, if you've not tried them already?

http://www.muaythaiclubs.co.uk/