PDA

View Full Version : lost Passport

Bill
5th Mar 2010, 21:58
My wife recived her ILR 11/02/1010 had all the papers ready for application citizenship sent them off on the 16th feb 1010 with three passpopts package returned to us on the25/02/1010 I missed one didget on credit card form but on passport missing the importent one my wifes contacted office in liverpool and was told they only recived two I saw my wife bless all three passports before i put them in envelope had photo copies of all the visa and passports and resubmited the application and they have confirmed they have recived applicatiuon what I would like to know dose my wife have to go to london for new passport and who pays? hash this happned to anyone before whats the drill?

Flip
6th Mar 2010, 19:38
Bill,

Are you sure your wife is over a thousand years old? :D (2010 not 1010).

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but your post is not very clear. Is this what you mean:

My wife received ILR 11/02/1010 and had all the papers ready for a citizenship application. She sent them off on the 16th Feb 2010 with three passports. The package was returned to us on 25th Feb 2010 because I missed one digit from my credit card details. Upon opening the package one passport missing -the important one, my wife's. I contacted office in Liverpool and was told they only received two. I saw my wife bless all three passports before I put them in envelope. We had photo copies of all the visas and passports and resubmited the application and the office has confirmed receipt.

What I would like to know is, does my wife have to go to London for a new passport and who pays? Has this happened to anyone before what's the drill?

As you were sending something as valuable as passports, did you send the package by any special form of postage or simply first class? Why were there 3 passports? Yours + 2 of your wife's? Remember also that it's not just the passport fee - it is also highly likely that you may have to pay for a replacement ILR visa.

I think one of the legal eagles is going to have to answer this one but I'm guessing you will end up paying for this if you used normal post. You can be sure there will be a get out clause in the small print somewhere - at least a recommendation to use a secure form of postage.

Its quite possible that the package was intercepted before it reached Liverpool and the passport removed. I would imagine that a Thai passport with an ILR visa would be quite valuable on the black market - especially if its an old style passport.

There was a case a few years ago where a crooked mail worker was removing credit cards sent out from Visa etc. I believe that's why since then, many credit cards have to be activated via a telephone call before they can be used.

Gary & Nok
6th Mar 2010, 20:53
Its quite possible that the package was intercepted before it reached Liverpool and the passport removed. I would imagine that a Thai passport with an ILR visa would be quite valuable on the black market - especially if its an old style passport.Interceptor took 1 passport and put 2 back, don't think so :rolleyes:.
Believe me when I tell you that 3 passports are more valuable than 1 whether Thai, Brit or whatever and an opportunity to have all 3 would not be passed up like that.

You obviously did not use the Post Office passport checking service Bill. Sorry to state the obvious but if you had then they would not only have caught your lack of digit on your payment but would also have been liable for the passports (in fact problem would not have arisen as there would have been no dispute about whether you were dealing with 3 passports or 2.

Let this be a lesson to all those for the future. Spend £8 and use the checking service.

Let us know how you get on Bill.

Bill
6th Mar 2010, 21:05
We sent three passports,two my wifs, to show,in ,out stamps to prove lenth of time in UK. Sent By special delivery next day delivery signed for and insured What more could I do? have photo copys of all My wifs visas and Indefinite leave to remain Stamp

Flip
6th Mar 2010, 21:16
Interceptor took 1 passport and put 2 back, don't think so :rolleyes:.
Believe me when I tell you that 3 passports are more valuable than 1 whether Thai, Brit or whatever and an opportunity to have all 3 would not be passed up like that.

Quite possibly Gary which is why I have asked him why there are 3 passports. You may not think so but some criminals do strange things and to some members of that fraternity a current Thai passport with a UK visa would be the most valuable.

I recently got a little p*ssed whilst on holiday on Koh Samed. I stupidly left my bum bag containing my wallet, 12,000 baht, 4 credit cards, 3 debit cards, and my driving licence outside the bungalow door overnight - quite a haul for a professional thief. The next morning only the 12,000 baht was missing - thieves are not all professional.

One or more of the passports could be expired and only retained for visa purposes - therefore worthless. As far as I'm aware, there is no need to supply a spouse's passport when making a citizenship application so before second guessing what's gone on, Bill needs to state why there were 3 passports.

Flip
6th Mar 2010, 21:20
We sent three passports,two my wifs, to show,in ,out stamps to prove lenth of time in UK. Sent By special delivery next day delivery signed for and insured What more could I do? have photo copys of all My wifs visas and Indefinite leave to remain Stamp

Bill,

Have you checked the terms and conditions of the special delivery? Surely this should cover you?

I doubt that UK immigration will accept a photocopy of your wife's visa if she plans on travelling and returning before gaining citizenship and a UK passport. Have the citizenship people said they will accept photocopies for the citizenship application?

Gary & Nok
6th Mar 2010, 21:24
Quite possibly Gary which is why I have asked him why there are 3 passports..appears 1 was old one of wife to show previous entries.

Nowt as quire as tea-leaves

Bill, claim against the Post Office seeing as you insured them, they need to sort the problem but I expect they will say it was sealed when signed for and therfore that have fulfilled their duty and will say that there must have only been 2 passports inside. If so did you have to get them weighed?

Bill
6th Mar 2010, 21:32
As you stated Border Agency said only two passports in package when they opened but if lost in there office what else are they goining to say All the application was weighed at post office on sending dont know if they weight on recipt