PDA

View Full Version : UK State Pension

happyjules
23rd May 2010, 21:46
I will be nearing my 30 years working within the next few years so will be near my full entitlement soon. I dont have a private pension but was wondering can I top up my state pension by making extra payments as opposed to starting a private pension.
I dont wish to start a private pension is it is my intention to move to Thailand in the next few years therefore most of my contributions will be eroded by their annual administrative costs which has happened in the past when I have stopped my private pension due to not being able to afford the payments.
If you could please advise to wether or not I could top up my state pension it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks......Lepprechaun

melnathan
23rd May 2010, 23:45
Leprechaun I dont know the answer to your question, but I am fairly certain that if you die your pension stops immediately where as a private one can continue for at least another 5 yrs there by leaving a legacy to your estate.

steve187
1st Jun 2010, 03:53
Hi have you obtained a pension forecast?, the rules are 30 years contributions required, any further contributions after this 30 years do not increase your pension, but you still have to pay if still working in the UK, Extra years can be purchased, but only to top up to the required 30 years. ( prior to April this year it was 44 years )