Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  139
Likes Likes:  125
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 11 of 60 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Obituaries

Probably the way he wanted it (royalties but no recognition thanks thats for the performers)

RIP

colin 244

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ dan&ploy's Avatar

Leslie Phillip's wife commits suicide...I like Leslie Phillips and I respect him even more on reading how he has stood by his wife all these years, (and she him).

Blog Entries

That's tragic Dan. How bad must she have felt to be driven to such act. Now her husband will have the memory of finding her for the rest of his days - very, very sad.

Ban Na Jomtian, Chon Buri, Thailand, Thailand

Former James Bond girl ... Appeared in quite a few films & tv series.

Attachment 2770

Lucian Freud has died aged 88. Invariably described by the British media as one of the greatest artists of the 20th century, he was famous for his nudes/realism during a time of massive change in the art world. He was equally good at sh#?ging by all accounts!

I like his work, or what I have seen of it, very gritty and often unflattering. Here's a well known piece relating to a dole office supervisor:

images.jpg

But I worry about all these 'greatest' labels - in the UK we have several, Bacon, Spencer (I recently visited here: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...to_gallery.htm), Nicholson, Hepworth and many more, but are they? Each have their own place and their work often has to be admired - isn't that enough? I'd be interested in Dan's views?

Meanwhile here's another famous nude!

Stanley Spencer - Nude (Patricia Preece.jpg

Hi Caller,

You have posed a very interesting question. Freud was certainly considered one of the top five living artists in the world today. What was particularly interesting was he chose to paint realism which was not considered avant garde and therefore not cutting edge art. Let me think on a better answer. Here is another portrait 'painter' in the top five.

What did you think of Spencer?

Quote Originally Posted by dan&ploy View Post

I thought he was very funny .............................................. Sorry Dan .. Couldn't resist

Attachment 2782

Blog Entries

Dan, in another thread you mentioned to Brian99 about not watching TV in Thailand. As you know, the business of downloading programmes is simple enough even for me to do it. There really is a lot of diverse cultural stuff out there that would interest you. These three examples are currently available on various torrents sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...28TV_series%29
    http://www.skyarts.co.uk/art-design/...der-of-escape/
    http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php...bc-2&Itemid=31

Thanks Phil. The extra (albeit small) effort to watch the programs has given me the incentive to wean myself off TV.

Although there are great programs out there there is so much dross - usually the good programs have a book to accompany the series and I prefer to buy and read that, (although I still have all those Simon Schama books I haven't read yet).

It was Brian that seemed to miss the TV, not me, (with one or two exceptions like the India/England cricket - but then that is played after my bedtime anyway and there is no Richie Benaud commentary anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by dan&ploy View Post
    Hi Dan,

I love Spencers work.

The 2nd nude I posted is one of his (his 2nd wife), not Freuds. He didn't paint so many nudes, but they were often brutally graphic. So much so, that he hid them under his bed for fear of upsetting the Lord Chamberlains office!

I think he is the one artist (well him and Donald McGill ), that depicts 20th Englishness in all its glory, whether through his 'visionary' work, portraits or landscapes.

And of course, he was a great eccentric himself. Who else could divorce his wife, then marry the lesbian he had fallen in love with, never consummate the marriage and spend his wedding night with his previous wife, whilst his bride spent the night with her lover. Only in England.

I used to love visiting the little gallery in Cookham dedicated to him, though I haven't visited since it got funding to be modernised and extended. One of my favourite walks is along the Thames from Cookham to Marlow and I used to pause at the headstone in his memory at the Church where his resurrection paintings are based. And of course, there was a very special exhibition of his work at Tate Britain a few years ago.

And like Freud, he didn't bow to current trends and did his own thing throughout his career.

Burghclere is very special, but I do wish the Tate or someone else could run it. Its tiny and not easy to appreciate the work Spencer did there. Not sure the National Trust are best suited for the job.

I have probably read as much on Spencer as any other artist (as opposed to collectives, such as the PRB or 'St. Ives' group).

Amy Winehouse R.I.P

Now there's a surprise.......... NOT

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar

I thought you were joking, Keith. A great shame as she obviously had a huge amount of talent, and like many others...

.....wasted it and herself.

Blimey, that is a shock!

OK I know she was a bit of a drinker and whatever but even so what a shame and a waste of a great talent (her earlier years that is).
    Independence Day 31st January 2020

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar

Have to feel for her parents as they tried their utmost to get her to straighten herself out. But there was, obviously, only so much they could do.

Premium Member

Indeed a shock. Talented singer. Another one bites the dust.

Blog Entries

Born with a tremendous talent and unable to live with the pressures it brought - very sad indeed.

R.I.P. Joins some of the music legends gone too soon (and one of wifeys favourites)

colin 244

Wow ... Have to say this has really shocked me ... R.I.P.

Must add she joins a select group of rock stars that died at 27 !!

Brian Jones
    Janis Joplin
    Jim Morrison
    Kurt Cobain
    Jimi Hendrix