Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Cool Making Home Brew

A few months ago I was watching Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall ( HFW) on River Cottage. He came up with a rather simple recipe for ginger beer using a two litre screw top fizzy drink bottle.

Hugh: "For this, you will need screw-top, 2-litre plastic bottles, which you have cleaned thoroughly using sterilising tablets."
    Per bottle:
    Ingredients
    ¼ tsp brewer’s yeast
    225g caster sugar
    1½-2 tbsp finely grated fresh root ginger
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1 good tbsp honey

1. Add the yeast to the bottle. With a funnel, pour in the sugar.
    2. Mix the grated ginger with the lemon juice and honey.
    3. Pour the ginger mixture through the funnel into the bottle. Now fill the bottle about ¾ full with water, put the cap on and shake the bottle until all the sugar is dissolved.
    4. Top up the bottle with water, leaving a 2.5cm gap at the top, to allow for production of gas. Cap the bottle tightly, then place it somewhere warm. Leave it for about 48 hours. Once the bottle feels very hard and has no give in it, your beer should be ready.
    5. Place the bottle in the fridge for several hours to stop the yeast working. Once the beer is thoroughly chilled, pass it through a fine sieve and serve.

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes...recipe_p_1.htm

Now I gave this a crack .
    This

Became this

Pretty tasty. Now HFW fans have been experimenting with other herbs and roots , chilli even.

What would your Thai Style Home Brew be. I've had a crack at ginger and lemon grass already.

Richard

What did it taste like ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    What did it taste like ?
    With the consent of the landlord of my local I took a bottle down for testing purposes. Classes were set up. I had to open it outside as it was a fizzy little so and so. So to the taste test. I had not bothered with filtering so there were a few bits. The bottle had been chilled but we got some ice in also. As its a young brew 48 hours the ginger and lemon grass were fresh and in your face. The above recipe seems to hit the sweetness and acid tang nail on the head. Pretty much everyone had their glasses out for seconds and some said that it was better than the Crabbies sold by the pub.

Richard

Member สมาชิก

Tried your link but itdoesn't work. I got a 'page doesn't exist' message. Maybe the page has been taken down.

Dick
    Now officially a "Senior Citizen".

Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Quote Originally Posted by maokaang View Post
    That link works. Sculdugery at Chanel 4? There is definitely another link with a different blog and comments. Maybe these posts that are still up on another Chanel 4 link scared them
    "DO NOT USE GLASS BOTTLES, I made the ginger beer two days ago and within 24hours two bottles exploded 2 feet from my legs, luckily I had a towel over them, if not I would of been seriously hurt. In total it took 6 hours to clean my lounge carpet and walls with a professional cleaner,make this only with serious caution.
    Posted by picklelily" and
    "ive just done this recipe,but i have a word of warning, DO NOT USE PLASTIC BOTTLES FOR MORE THAN STATED 2 DAYS, ive just had 2 bottles blow up in the spare bedroom,i was 6ft away when it happened,it was a bloody scary moment i can tell ya. other than that,good recipe ;-)
    Posted by shergy"

The solution to exploding bottles seems to be here

"Experimented with a few different brews and found that a wine yeast makes more alchoholic but taste remains like a soft drink version... Ale yeast while not as potent has the beery taste to it. Raw sugar gives a darker, slightly thicker brew than caster sugar and has a more traditional feel to it. Fresh root ginger was much more refreshing than ground ginger, and filtered much easier trough the muslin i used in place of a sieve, I used a fine weave calico for the ground ginger batches. For those who report explosions, firstly dont use glass bottles, use plastic. Fill up to within an inch or two from the top, then squeeze the air out before capping. You will see when the gas is forming when the bottles begin to fill out back into shape, this will give you warning to release some pressure by slightly cracking the cap for a few seconds. I left mine for 10 days, after which i filtered through muslin into glass swing top bottles, which i primed with 1 tablespoon of sugar syrup (warm water with sugar added until no more can dissolve) left for another 24 hours to re-gas then chilled, not beforehand as the recipe suggests... If you deactivate the yeast with cooling before straining, the fizz will dramatically decrease and your beer will taste very flat. out of 8 different batches i found my personal favourite and also that 80% of my mates preferred this combination - Wine yeast, fresh ginger, raw sugar. For more alchohol, add more sugar and leave longer to brew, just remember to monitor your gas!
    Posted by RCSimoAustralia "

Good luck all.

Richard