Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Siam Legal

Banned

Default Siam Legal

It looks like I will be moving over to the Land of Smiles permanently and wonder if anyone has experience with Siam Legal. They seem professional enough and costs are not unreasonable.

Stephen

Blog Entries

Have a look here Stephen, I had no complaints.

http://www.thailand-uk.com/forums/sh...ght=siam+legal

Banned

Thanks, I have exchanged a few e-mails with them, and they have been very helpful even though silver has not changed hands yet.

Blog Entries

My only observation, there appears to be no one there qualified as a Thai advocate/lawyer. I would ask to see their practising certificates to satisfy yourself that they are appropriately regulated and/or qualified.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Banned

Thanks Tobias, I am going to pop in and see them in April for that very reason. I want to make sure they are not operating out of a caravan in Klong Toey

My experiance, albeit for business services (set-up, investment, visa's etc) was somewhat frustrating. They contradicted the BOI advice and we wasted a large sum of money. Granted, we got about half of it back when we challenged them.
    I think they assume we are all stupid and will over ellaborate and complicate things to justify their fees.
    Like Tobias says, check them 1st. I think out of a staff of 20, perhaps only 1 is actually qualified.
    Just my thoughts on this outfit.
    I can reco a young Canadian solicitor, licenced to operate in LOS who has well established links and do what he says he can do without the BS.
    ian1208
    Last edited by ian1208; 17th Mar 2011 at 13:02. Reason: just to add...........
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Quote Originally Posted by ian1208 View Post
    I can reco a young Canadian solicitor, licenced to operate in LOS who has well established links and do what he says he can do without the BS.
    Sebastian Brousseau in Korat?
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Sebastian Brousseau in Korat?
    Nope.
    Sur Novel in Bangkok.

Actually I dont want to recomend him! He simply did what he said he could do with the min of fuss and hassle. I would hate to think someone used him on my say so and he messed up
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    It looks like I will be moving over to the Land of Smiles permanently and wonder if anyone has experience with Siam Legal. They seem professional enough and costs are not unreasonable.

Stephen
    Hi Stephen, If you do decide to use Siam Legal or another Thai lawyer, then please let us know how you got on?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    ... or another Thai lawyer, then please let us know how you got on?
    That's one point I was making, there appears no one in that firm who is qualified in Thai law ....
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    Hi Stephen, If you do decide to use Siam Legal or another Thai lawyer, then please let us know how you got on?
    Will do. It seems quite straight forward though. I want a marriage visa for which I need a Thai wife for more than five years and either an income of 40, 000 THB a month or 400, 000 in the bank. I will need to appear at an immigration office every 90 days and can apply for a work permit. It wil need to be renewed every year. After three years I can apply for residence and a Thai passport apparently.

Rather than do it myself I would rather let someone who knows here way around the Thai legal system. Will let you know.

S

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:06 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    That's one point I was making, there appears no one in that firm who is qualified in Thai law ....
    Understood, but since my application should be fairly straight forward I am just looking for a company that knows the ropes.

I will let you all now how I get on.
    Last edited by Tobias; 20th Mar 2011 at 15:33. Reason: Corrected BBCode to properly display quotes

After three years I can apply for residence and a Thai passport apparently.
    SDM. Can you? It would be nice if you could tell us how, and where you were given this info. I, for one who has been living in Thailand for nearly 4 years, would love to know. I think there might be a few other qualifying factors that would enable this, other than being here 3 years. Like, bundles of money, and being able to speak fluent Thai.

Dave.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ddwjg View Post
    SDM. Can you? It would be nice if you could tell us how, and where you were given this info. I, for one who has been living in Thailand for nearly 4 years, would love to know. I think there might be a few other qualifying factors that would enable this, other than being here 3 years. Like, bundles of money, and being able to speak fluent Thai.

Dave.

You have to have paid income tax for three years, so retirees are stuffed on this one for a start. To get a Thai passport (why?) you have to have had residency for 10 years and then it is a costly, lengthy process with often an enormous amount of tea money to be paid. Thai has to be up to quite a high level.

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

I believe Sebastion in Korat is the guy whose mother met a very nasty end, I would certainly not recommend him and cannot understand why he is even allowed to be here. I won't post the gory details.

Banned

I couldn't find the original link, but this the kind of thing www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/thai-permanent-residency.php

But just noticed this which I didn't see on the other.

"The Residency Permit itself never expires, unless revoked. To be able to leave the country and return to Thailand, however, requires you to apply for a re-entry permit (endorsement)."

Blog Entries

Will do. It seems quite straight forward though. I want a marriage visa for which I need a Thai wife for more than five years and either an income of 40, 000 THB a month or 400, 000 in the bank. I will need to appear at an immigration office every 90 days and can apply for a work permit. It wil need to be renewed every year. After three years I can apply for residence and a Thai passport apparently.
    I think you are getting your wires a bit crossed SDM, but if this is the sort of thing you are talking about then, yes, having a Thai wife will save you about £2,000. They do have their uses at times.

Cup of tea Phil?

Blog Entries

I don't think she'd appreciate having to stop cleaning the fish pond just yet Gaz, I can wait ten minutes.

Banned

You still have to report to the cops, but just once a year. So it's not of that much use as they still screw money out of you for re entry permits and other charges.

Wink

It seems like Tobias isn't fair enough to all seekers who specified a reputable company on their inquiries. As far as I know, Siam Legal is the most reliable firm in Thailand. And when it comes to qualifications, they are the most qualified. Understanding this matter would require common sense and not just basing on senseless thoughts. You know that not every transactions are meant to be successful due to some circumstances. It could be by company's fault, HOWEVER, it could be because of the client's inconsistencies. Being the largest firm in Thailand, what made you think that only one of them are qualified? I heard their lawyers are turning to be the country's judges, so meaning to say, they are more than qualified.

Don't reject my opinion unless our moderators here has their own personal interests. =)

All the best!

you seem to know a lot about this company ????? if i was making life changing decisions I would be looking for the best advice and would need some indication of this. In the uk it is easy to check the credentials of professional advice as in a phone call to their professional organisation