Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default can we claim housing benefits and tax credits

me and my wife who is thai and on a 2 year spouse visa, we have just moved in to a rented property after leaving my parents house, i just want to know if it ok for us to apply for HB AND TC, as im unsure as her visa states no recourse to public, we are both working but on low incomes

Terry.

Member สมาชิก

Hi

If you choose to move into a rented property then you haveno recourse tp apply for any benefits other than maybe job seekers allowance.

Your wife will not beb able to claim any.

As it was your choice to move the DSS will not assit you. I think you will need to support yourself for at least 6 months.

Do you work?

rocketmanbkk "we are both working but on low incomes"

terrynok, sorry can't advise on the benefits side, but please remember to factor in the visa costs and requirements for your application when the 2 years are up. I would say that if you are struggling now and can't get the support then a worthwhile consideration of moving back in with parents if you can.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I think you're ok to claim tax credits jointly as a couple, but call the HMRC Helpline (0845 300 3900 should be the one), explain your circumstances and they should be able to give you an immediate answer.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanbkk View Post
    Hi

As it was your choice to move the DSS will not assit you. I think you will need to support yourself for at least 6 months.

Do you work?
    With respect do you read? He stated that both he and his wife are working, but on low income. Housing Benefit is not paid by the DWP (who you call DSS). It is administered and paid by local authorities. Whilst entitlement can be via receiving JSA, a significant number of claims are made as a result of low income only. Contact your local authority for more information and to check if you qualify. The claim will have to be in your name, you will have to provide evidence of your rent, income, savings and outgoings and only then, can they make a decision about entitlement.

Rookie มือใหม่

thank you Gavva & Caller this has helped me alot. thanks once again

Member สมาชิก

Caller, I do indeed read.

Again, for your information, I am old school and so the DSS as it was would have paid this in the past.

Please refrain from being rude and maybe I should ask you the question of whether you can read. Too quick to jump in. Stay calm and carry on as they say.

Let's just try to help the couple go forward, no need to bicker with others whether they are correct or not.

I agree that the best course of action here is to contact HMRC but again as it was the OP's choice to move out of a secure family home and so why should the tax payer pay or assist to pay rent?

Again as stated, if ILR is applied for in time, it doesn't look good that a person cannot support himself and wife from the outset.

My advice is to go back to the family home as hard as it may be and save as much as you can. I did that for 12 months when I moved back with my wife and now I own my house with no mortgage in Berkshire (not huge) after 8 years, Worked hard and paid it off. i also have a 4 bed detached house in Pattaya worth approx £150k. Not bad in 8 years I'd say.

Good luck and keep in touch.

For Tax Credits, Terry will have to contact HMRC, but for Housing Benefit, not claiming JSA and in receipt of a low income, then he has to go to his local authrouty. The payment of HB is not governed by HMRC!!!

Terry, Go look here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...me/DG_10018926

Rocketman, the DSS as was haven't been responsible for the payment of HB since the late 80's and its changed somewhat since then and your views on whether the taxpayer should do this, that or the other don't count.