Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Default Tax credits for private day nursery fees

We've just started our two year old in a local private day nursery, and I made an enquiry with HM Revenue & Customs about tax credits for this. I was told we're ineligible because my wife isn't in employment any more (she has to work a minimum of 16 hours a week, apparently) and is not on any sickness or incapacity benefit.

I run a small business and have recently incorporated a limited company of which my wife is a director. I'm about to move all my trading over to this limited company. Does anyone know if this will give my wife the required employment status for tax credits?

Can you not claim in your own right?

Check here to see if you, or your wife, qualify :-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/start/who-qualifies/quick-questionnaire.htm

aka Spud / aka MF

Thanks for that link, manfarang. Using the calculator on that website, we seem to be entitled to a decent credits claim. But that's based on the missus working 16 hours a week self-employed, so I'm still unsure if her status as a company director qualifies her as being in employment. The HMRC officer I spoke with told me that I'm not entitled to make a lone claim: My wife has to be part of the equation unless we are legally separated.

I think there is a misunderstanding somewhere. I would assume that many wives don't work but the husband would still be eligible for tax credits if he is working and his income was below £41,300. That would also include anyone self employed.

From my link :-

"'Total income' means money you (and your partner if you have one) have coming in each year including:"

Why don't you just apply? You will find out for certain if you qualify or not.
    aka Spud / aka MF

I already get tax credits for the children, but I was trying to modify my claim to include nursery fees. The first HMRC operative I spoke with, as I stated, knocked me back on the basis that my wife had to be working at least 16 hours a week or be incapacitated in some way.

After thinking about it, I remembered that my wife is a director of the limited company I've just activated, which, in my view, puts her in employment. I was a bit nervous about contacting HMRC again until I'd got my facts straight.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and did contact HMRC again this morning. The operative was far more helpful on this occasion, explaining the different bases on which my wife could work for the company. I went for the employed by the company option (self-employed was the other option), and he was happy to accept that my wife's earnings will be paid by company dividend, rather than as a weekly wage. Claim accepted .

I hope this will be of some use to anyone on the forum in a similar situation.