Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Yeah its worth a try. Its a baby bio for just herbs and it comes in a green bottle. I think its important to keep them warm so just keep that in mind. If all else fails you can make one of these when i propogate them i put a sandwich bag over the pot im going to grow in to create the some humidity, this brings them on in a few days

- - - Updated - - -

Never knew there was tesco stores back in the 60's colin

I'll try that first of all and if that fails, then do as you have. I do like some holy basil with my fried rice, I cook it myself to my special requirements, black olives, chicken, salami, coriander, mushrooms, holy basil, onions, cracked black pepper, 1 egg, boiled rice, no chillies or fish/oyster sauce!

Sounds pretty good to me, does your mrs like it? Don't think mine would, not with the olives and salami, she would say it needs fish sauce too i think

No, she doesn't like olives, she likes salami, frankfuters and sausages. I don't mind fish sauce, but I think it tastes better without, a few dollops of Thai soy sauce is ok. I done fried rice for her before, with fish sauce, she said it was ok, neither aroi or mai aroi!

Quote Originally Posted by ddave View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Never knew there was tesco stores back in the 60's colin
    Apparantly a replica of the 1960's Brixton one ddave at Goodwood with the cashiers in the pink outfits they used to wear and offering Green Shield Stamps as well (on the window but you didn't get any )

colin 244

Is there any threads on here for thai food you are able to make in the uk? We make quite a few things but ingredients are a bit difficult to get up here, green pappaya for example, i've seen some online but around 8 quid for a kilo, the local asian super markets do a bit but mostly chinese stuff. Pad pak ruam we make a lot of and garlic pork, currys are easy enough but she misses the som tam soo much lol. Haven't got a rice steamer either as boiled basmati is good she thinks. We should try asking in the local restaurants too i think, whether they help or not is a different thing

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Mine missed som tam a lot at first too. We got a couple of green papaya here and she made some (it was good) but after a short time she stopped making it. Doesn't seem to miss it as much now, which surprised me. I guess they can live without it!

You can make most stuff here. What can't you make? Tesco even do pak bung, chinese radish (the big white one) and tamarinds. For some things there are near replacements to try. Makeua (the small green vegetable that goes in curries) is from the aubergine family so aubergines work well. (Looking up the English name of these vegetables sometimes helps to find near substitutes). My wife also likes 'Spring greens' from Sainsbury's as replacements for some Thai green vegetables. There's not much that's really unique.

I'll ask her when i get home what she would like to make, i know she would like some fresh bamboo, only found jars of it upto now which are no good she said. our morrisons has recently upgraded their stock and have plenty of new veg and fruit which is good, i think som tam would keep her happy 50% if the time maybe get her some papaya see if she gives it up after a bit haha. shes into fish and squid which we eat loads of, also suki which i enjoy loads, i love anything so im easy, putting weight on everyweek, eat like a king now

Basil coming on a treat with CFL bulbs (better than the windowsill)
    This is excellent news. Since I had success last year growing on my window sill and front room I trued again this spring/summer except that we did not really have much of a spring or summer. Good seedlings but a measly crop. I did not even post any pics this year.

I shall be following this with interest.

Richard

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crisp View Post
    .....Also have Thai.... lemongrass....... She must have green fingers.
    I am Green with envy at all that deliciousness.

I found this link and am going to give lemongrass a try.

http://purplefoodie.com/grow-your-own-lemongrass/

Richard

- - - Updated - - -

.... I think its important to keep them warm so just keep that in mind. If all else fails you .....when i propogate them i put a sandwich bag over the pot im going to grow in to create the some humidity, this brings them on in a few days
    Clingfilm works too.

Richard
    It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are

I went to a Thai supermarket in Newcastle this week to get some Thai basil for my Kapow Ghai but thye didn't have any! They get a weekly delivery and that's it... gone before you know it.... I tried the Chinese and Indian supermarkets too but they had none in stock. Is it getting harder to get hold of it fresh now?
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

Richard, your germination problems are almost certainly due to a lack of humidity - which in the cases you mention needs to be 100%.

Germinate the seeds in a propagtor - preferably a heated one. Keep the compost moist but do not over-water. Once they appear, mist the undersides of the leaves and the lid of the propagator every day - leaves lightly. Use a good quality compost and
    don't feed the seedlings at all for the first week after germination. Do not open the air vents on the propagator until the plants are at least 3 inches high - then open them for a couple of hours each day at first and gradually increase this until they are about 6 inches high. You cannot beat real sunlight but we rarely get enough so a 125 watt CFL lamp would suffice for a small propagator - hang it vertically about 12 inches above the canopy amd have it on for 18 hours per day - 5 hours in total darkness (but you will still need to keep the temp up).

Let me know if this works - does for me.

Germinate the seeds in a propagtor - preferably a heated one. Keep the compost moist but do not over-water. Once they appear, mist the undersides of the leaves and the lid of the propagator every day - leaves lightly. Use a good quality compost and
    don't feed the seedlings at all for the first week after germination. Do not open the air vents on the propagator until the plants are at least 3 inches high - then open them for a couple of hours each day at first and gradually increase this until they are about 6 inches high. You cannot beat real sunlight but we rarely get enough so a 125 watt CFL lamp would suffice for a small propagator - hang it vertically about 12 inches above the canopy amd have it on for 18 hours per day - 5 hours in total darkness (but you will still need to keep the temp up).
    Extract from Nang's grow your own. A Vietnamese farmer
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Mr 1208, there are hundreds of thousands of (legitimate) plants grown in that manner everyday in the UK without the need for the skills of our Vietnamese bretheren.

I used that method for a while to stop complaints from her that must be obeyed about the 'wrong taste' that the 'Asda Growing Basil' that I've been using for years had..........not same.............mai aroy. I've still not plucked up the courage to tell her that on more than one occasion (when I just couldn't be bothered), the services of Asda were called upon and nobody complained.

By the way Richard - darkness should read 6 hours not 5.
    Last edited by Flip; 17th Oct 2012 at 22:19.

My sweet basil starts to wilt if i don't give it a minimum 8 hours darkness, Holy basil seems ok though. I turn on at 7am and off at 11pm but i still think its a bit long.

I prune them so they can still grow without destoying a whole plant where as she just destroys it lol, i trim the basil now as i've put too much work in to it to let her kill them all

This week they have gone crazy and getting a bit full in my little grow area so we've made extra panang tonight, nice little treat for the lads at work tomorrow

Well been again today.... and they sold out in the same day! They only got sweet basil this week and not Holy basil. Tried three chinese supermarkets too but nothing!!

No wonder everyone is trying to master growing it!
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

Quote Originally Posted by Grahame View Post

No wonder everyone is trying to master growing it!
    Grow enough Grahame and you you could probably sell it as well as there seems to be demand in your area (and probably anywhere else in the UK where Thais reside including Essex)

colin 244

DDave,

I doubt your plants are wilting because of a lack of darkness - although understand why giving them more dark time might seem to cure this. At 8 hours darkness you may be approaching the time where the plants will move towards maturity. Most plants that are native to the northern hemisphere react to light as a marker to move on. Hence with such plants, 10 to 12 hours darkness will fool them in to thinking its approaching autumn and they will mature and flower. I'm not so sure what stimulates plants from the equatorial region to move on as there is very little difference in natural dark and light times over the year. Maybe they can react to the small changes there are?

Because of a lack of information, I've treated my plants as if they were native to the nothern hemisphere and had no problems with wilt. Exposure to light without sufficient moisture could be the cause of the problem with your plants.

I always thought my plants could do much better and with the next lot I might try replicating their natural light/dark cycles.

The ideal situation if its the leaves that are to be harvested, and one that is easy to create for northern hemisphere plants is to keep them in a permanent vegetative state by giving them 6 - 8 (max) hours darkness. That way they simply keep producing leaves. I don't know if its possible to replicate this using spring light times with equatorial plants but will try to find out.

I read from a link on page 2 of this thread that thai basil requires a minimum of 8 hours lights off. All plants are different though and agree certain plants from the northern hemisphere will flower with the less light they get.

They are well watered, not too hot and its the top of the plant that will wilt a little if on too long, so i switch off, then the next day no problems as long as i don't give them too much. All been topped now and stick to the 16 hours on 8 off with good enough results for me