Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default In receipt of pension credit

Good morning all , I am in receipt of pension credit and i also receive a small mineworkers pension , in addition to this i also am getting housing benefit, my question is this... I have been in a relationship with my wife since 2007 , and we actually married in 2009 , I lived with her in Bangkok from March 2009, to April 2011, I returned to the UK and am now waiting for my wife to join me here on a settlement visa . She has worked at her present job in Bangkok for 21 years and has in that time saved a substantial amount, she has in excess of 2 million baht, when she arrives here she will be able to show this in her application as having enough funds to substain herself until she finds employment, will my status affect her application , and will the fact that i am in receipt of these benefits have an adverse affect on a successful visa application ?

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ Harvey at home's Avatar

Hello and welcome to the forum mickeylonster.

Your present income is sufficient for her application to be successful without the recourse to public fund thinghy in mind.

Dont know the exact minima but I was in the same boat as you when Wan applied and her application was successful.

One of the professional bods on here can be completely accurate with the small print and the pros and cons but in the meantime I think that you will be OK

Regards harvey & Wan

Rookie มือใหม่

Hello Harvey and Wan @ home , thanks for the positive reply, looking forward to her arrival !

The wife's savings will show that she will not need to claim certain Public Funds.

Mickylonster, you are presumably British, or otherwise settled in the UK. Accordingly you are entitled to claim the benefits that you are claiming.
    John

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Micky Are you claiming for additional pension for your wife as a adult Dependant.
    If not you can. even if she is not in the UK. YOU can claim for her, She will have no recourse to public funds But You have. You will still be classed as single by the Pension Service until she gets ILR So you cannot get the maried man's min income allowance. But you can get the £50 plus per week for her as a Adult Dependant
    I don't get Pension Credit or Council Tax Benifit because of savings But I do get the Adult Dependants Alowance.
    Good Luck I don't think you have a problem.

Another thought Micky. You said that you are getting benifits that are Income realated like housing & Council tax.
    Your wifes savings will be taken into account If you declare her savings you will loose some of your benifits.
    Take care there. I dont know if it is the same for all councils but in my area you can ony have £30.000 in savings and if you have more than that you cannot claim Council tax benifit.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan2 View Post
    I dont know if it is the same for all councils but in my area you can ony have £30.000 in savings and if you have more than that you cannot claim Council tax benifit.
    Council Tax Benefit is a national benefit presently administered by local authorities. In most, but not all cirumstances you do not qualify if you have savings over 16k, not 30k.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...me/DG_10018923

Council Tax and benefit will disappear sometime in 2013, with the current plans being to replace it with local schemes, although this hasn't been decided yet, so the Govt. had better get a move on.
    Last edited by caller; 28th Aug 2011 at 12:09. Reason: Forgot to add link

As well as the point mentioned above, and this is not a means-tested point, if you are currently getting the single occupant's 25% Council Tax discount, as soon as your wife moves in you will need to notify the Council of that fact, and needless to say that discount will get cancelled.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan2 View Post
    Micky Are you claiming for additional pension for your wife as a adult Dependant.
    If not you can. even if she is not in the UK. YOU can claim for her, She will have no recourse to public funds But You have. You will still be classed as single by the Pension Service until she gets ILR So you cannot get the maried man's min income allowance. But you can get the £50 plus per week for her as a Adult Dependant
    I don't get Pension Credit or Council Tax Benifit because of savings But I do get the Adult Dependants Alowance.
    Good Luck I don't think you have a problem.
    Hello Vulcan2

I thought the "Claiming for an adult dependant" ended April 2010 Vulcan and that only those who where getting this benefit prior to that date could carry on claiming it ituntil 2020 when it ends altogether?

Maybe John could comment on that?

Harvey at home, I think you are right, but the OP did tell us "we actually married in 2009".
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Harvey at home, I think you are right, but the OP did tell us "we actually married in 2009".
    This is the bit I was referring to;

"Micky Are you claiming for additional pension for your wife as a adult Dependant.
    If not you can. even if she is not in the UK."

I think this says it all John and if they are not already in receipt of "Adult dependency" it is now to late to make a claim, either for the OP or Mickey, as I understand the rules that were talked about on the forum at the time and I think, I hope I am right here that it was your post on this subject that contained the original info that I have just referred too!

PS perhaps tjhis link would help;

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/inf...-increases.htm
    Last edited by Harvey at home; 28th Aug 2011 at 21:14.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Harvey at home , I checked out the link you provided , and it would appear that I am not eligible for this as it ceased in April 2010 , but thanks for your input, I reach state pension age in Feb 2014 and in the meantime will continue to receive `pension credits ` until that time. We are hoping my wife`s settlement visa will be OK and I am aware that any financial input from her will need to be declared and my monies will be adjusted accordingly. cheers , Mickylonster .

Ok lad no problem and the name is Harvey and I am mostly at home accompanied by Wan and a bottle of the Scotch ambar nectar...As most of my posts tonight indicate!

Glad I could help but having gone into it a bit deeper it looks as though without any income from your Mrs when she gets here you still are within the parameters of acceptability for the issue of the visa for your lady.

I wrote the link on the info on a piece of paper but the lass has gone and cleaned up again too thoroughly and I cannot find it but as others also indicate you have little too worry about IMO!

Harvey

Rookie มือใหม่

Cheers Harvey !

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Again everybody , an update on my original post : On September 22nd my wife took all her documents to regent house and made her settlement visa application !! on Friday 14 th of October she received her passport with the visa stamped in it , to start on 24/11/11 and to expire on 24/02/14 WOOHOO !! Its taken only 3 weeks and I am delighted at the outcome , cheers guys for all the positive imput !

Thank's for the update glad you got the result. And only 3 weeks lucky man you are. Good luck in the UK.
    Have you told her it's getting cold here and the nights are drawing in.
    Not the best time to start her lfe in the UK but she will have spring to and next summer to look fowrard to.

mickeylonster,

Congrats from me

colin 244

Congrats mickeylonster

When does she travel, or is that to be sorted yet? Sorry just being nosey
    I'm ONE of the 52%