Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Marriage in Thailand

Hello all!

My fiance and I are to be married in Koh Samui in February 2013. Although a long way off I am looking into the legal side of Marriage papers etc to ensure i have it all in place so we can get married legally according to Thai law. Obviously it is important that it is recognised by British law for when we return. (We are both English, born and bred!)

Why, not pay someone? - We were quoted £800 for a company to do all the work for us, however we are relatively young and just starting out, it is simply money that is needed elsewhere!

We are aware that we have to have to go to Bangkok to start the process and notify the embassy, register the marriage and get it translated, however were just getting confused and would be grateful of any help or guidance we receive...

Thanks all

Paul

See also guidance.
    We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

£800 is a rediculous amount for what is a relatively simple process. Total cost for me to do it myself include translations etc was about £80. There is some running around in Bangkok but the basic process is:-

1) Copy the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry template from the British Embassy website changing your personal details as required: http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/resou...ion-of-freedom

2) In Bangkok take both Affirmations to the British Embassy in the morning and hand them in to the consular section and pay the fee. Think its 2850baht (about £60) if I remember correctly. You can then collect the stamped affirmations from the Embassy the same day after 14.30. **If you have been maried before you will need to provided divorce certs etc**

3) Have the stamped affirmations translated into Thai. There are many translation offices around, but a good one is inside the shopping mall opposite the Embassy (think the mall is called the Wave Center or something). I used an office upstairs in the mall recently for my wife's settlement visa and they charged 300baht per document (£6.50). Usually the translations are done within an hour

4) The next day when you have your translated affirmations take a taxi to the MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) in Lak Si. Enter the building and go up the escalator and then up a flight of stairs to the legalisation dept to hand in your affirmations to be authorised. **Go early for the MFA opening at 8.00am because its busy**. You can pay 800baht (each i guess) for a same day service. You wil need a copy of your passports too. You tell them what you require and take a number and wait to be called, then give them your affirmation and pay the fee. You can then go back in the afternoon to collect them

5) When you have your authorised affirmations you can go to any local Amphur (registry office) I can't recommend one in Bangkok because we used my wifes local one in Phuket. Present your affirmations to the amphur and they will issue with your marriage certificates. You may have to provide witnesses but if not the amphur staff usually do it for a small fee. Then thats it you're legally married.

The entire process can be done in a couple of days if there are no delays but I would allow 3 days in Bangkok.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/he...ster-marriage/

Steve

Blog Entries

The £800 might include some sort of do as part of a package Steve. The cost of the full works including a couple of nights accommodation and all the paperwork starts at around £1500+++++. If the £800 is for the paperwork alone - it's a rip-off.

Blog Entries

Yeah that makes more sense Phil. I just thought as Paul is talking about the legal side that he had been quoted £800 for that only. If not then agree, total rip-off

"**If you have been maried before you will need to provided divorce certs etc**"

Presume only for the most recent marriage? Not any previous divorces?

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by psh2580 View Post

Why, not pay someone? - We were quoted £800 for a company to do all the work for us, however we are relatively young and just starting out, it is simply money that is needed elsewhere! Paul
    Paul, You can do the work by yourself and It wouldn't cost you £800.00.. As Toddmeister said, There will be a lot of running around to get your paper work in order,. but once done, the money would of been worth it

Rookie มือใหม่

Can't thank you all enough for taking the time to reply!

I think you all may be right, £800 may have been a package plus airport collection, stay over etc and then the papers, however i prefer the sound of £80 and a bit of running round and hard work myself!

Steve - (Toddmeister) - Possibly the most detailed reply i could have asked for - top job! One question:

1. - "When you have your authorised affirmations you can go to any local Amphur (registry office) I can't recommend one in Bangkok because we used my wifes local one in Phuket. Present your affirmations to the amphur and they will issue with your marriage certificates. You may have to provide witnesses but if not the amphur staff usually do it for a small fee. Then thats it you're legally married"

We have booked a wedding (non legal ceremony) in Koh Samui. I take it we are to take the affirmations with us to Koh Samui and find a local Amphur there who will attend our wedding to ensure all is legal and correct? There are 40 of us going so witnesses is something we wont be short of! (i hope!)

Paul

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar

You will need to attend the Amphur's office, psh2580, not the Amphur attend you.

In my wife's and I case, it took all of 20 to 30 minutes from walking in to being legally married.

Blog Entries

Hi Paul,

Like link says you have to go to the local amphur to register and be issued with the marriage certificates. At that point you are already legally married so no need for any papers at the ceremony in Samui.....it will be just that, a ceremony only, as all the legal paperwork will already have been done

"however i prefer the sound of £80" - well really it'll be double that because you'll have to do the same for your fiance too. My wife is Thai so there was only my side needed for the affirmation. Still a big saving against £800 though

Good luck whatever you decide

Steve

Also don't forget, after you have the marriage Certificate (for a few quid you could get 2 in very nice binders) that as it is in Thai you would be best off having it translated and stamped/certified back at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for those times you will need to use it in the UK. :-) Good luck and enjoy.

And following the good advice have a good one and enjoy LOS

colin 244

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks a lot everyone x

Yes, good luck and come back with some photos, we always like those

The fun starts after the wedding, and I don't mean that Wolfy before you say anything
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psh2580 View Post
    I take it we are to take the affirmations with us to Koh Samui and find a local Amphur there who will attend our wedding to ensure all is legal and correct?
    My (official) wedding, about two weeks ago went like this.....

1: Arrived at the local Amphur went inside and gave in the affermation to marry, passport and her house docs and ID card, (I assume my wife told them we want to get married).
    2: She was told to get some photocopies of this and that bit of paper done (Photocopying 30 Yrds away in same room) cost 10 Bhat
    3: Took the photocopies back to the counter, (as we had already started the process it is acceptable to push in front of any other person now at the counter - or so it would appear, my wife took control of this).
    4: 10 mins wait..... sign here, and here......
    5: Issued with two Certificates, and a few bits of paper for her name change, paid 30 Bhat.
    6: Went outside took a photo of us infront of the Amphur as sort of a record of the event.

I kid you not..... I was not asked anything, I did not say anything, we didnt have to have any witnesses, 40 Bhat and 20 mins... job done.

Married ! (well I hope thats what I signed up for lol)

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by Frogster1953 View Post

I kid you not..... I was not asked anything, I did not say anything, we didnt have to have any witnesses, 40 Bhat and 20 mins... job done.

Married ! (well I hope thats what I signed up for lol)
    Are you saying that your marriage papers was all free

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Blog Entries

Not free............. 40 Bhat !

Blog Entries

Mine too, 40baht for 2x marriage certificates. All they asked me was where I came from and I think my age. Again no witnesses for us either. The amphur we used was very busy though so we were in for about 2hrs

Rookie มือใหม่

Hey Paul
    My fiance and I are also British and getting married in Phuket in February next year. Ive looked into getting legally married in Thailand, but have decided that its going to be a lot less hassle doing it at a registry office here when we get back. For all intese purposes our wedding date will be the date we have our ceremony in Thailand. We have also decided that we arent going to invite friends or family to our UK registry office wedding (we purely see this as administration rather than anything special). If you want to go down the route of getting it legally registered I found the easiest thing is to pay a company for it, but you need at least 2 days in Bangkok first and then you will also need to go to a registry office near where you get married if you are going to officially register on the day, either that or you pay for a registrar to be present at your wedding. Also please note if you are getting married in a resort, you will be charged a bit extra for a legal registration....
    Clairen

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Good advice there Clairen, it's quite a lot of messing about in Bangkok to get all the necessary paperwork done. Something you don't need to do if neither of you are Thai
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."