Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ dan&ploy's Avatar

Default Residential Address in UK

I lost my UK driving license some years ago, (the picture card - I have the paper copy). It wasn't an issue as I had a Canada driving license. However the latter has just expired and I don't fancy going halfway around the world to renew it.

In any case, as with the UK, you need a residential address in the country to apply. I don't have that. I wondered if any kind member of this forum would be prepared to allow me to use their address. I only know one person in the UK, an aunt, who is old and frail and will probably call the police before having a stroke thinking I am doing something illegal.

Before you ask, the reason I want a UK license is because it is a lot easier for hiring a car in places such as Europe or the US than a Thai license and I can't get a Thai one now anyway without taking the test, (and no Biffy, I am not doing that however amusing it might be to try).

I know I should have thought of this before. You can castigate me but only after you give me your address and promise to forward the new driving license to me.

(p.s. If this is in any way illegal then just tell the legal eagles on here to turn a blind eye).
    (p.p.s. Is it possible to apply for a license in person and get one the next day? I could then use my aunt's address without bringing about her premature demise).

A UK license will also allow you to get a Thai license without having to take the test.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Harvey has kindly volunteered me his address and he is coming over next year which is plenty soon enough.

Ploy drives me everywhere Paul so I never bothered with the Thai license (and don't see much pleasure driving here anyway) but I do occassionally need a license for renting a car in the US mainly - the UK or Canada license is better in that respect than a Thai one. I was lazy and forgot about it until I got the tabien baan when I thought maybe I should get the Thai license and realised I couldn't (without a test).

Never mind, it should be sorted now.

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

I believe that you can do it all on-line Dan, if you're just changing address then it will be free as well.
    If I remember correctly, it only takes a week or so to arrive.

Have a look here and see if you can blag, I mean navigate your way through the website registration nonsense till you get what you need.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ sumrit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dan&ploy View Post
    Ploy drives me everywhere Paul so I never bothered with the Thai license
    You might not want to drive in Thailand but a Thai driving license will have your passport number on it so is accepted as an ID card in Thailand. You will also find that, once you've got a five year license, if you produce it when paying to go in to many government places such as national parks, zoos, etc. you will only be charged the Thai price, not the farang price.

Blog Entries

Sumrit, Dan doesn't need it for the reasons you've mentioned - he now has the hallowed "Yellow Book". This, amongst other things, allows him to walk on water (handy at the moment), knit fog, and open one of these without the perforated plastic strip breaking halfway round.

Attachment 3800

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ sumrit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phetchy View Post
    Sumrit, Dan doesn't need it for the reasons you've mentioned - he now has the hallowed "Yellow Book". This, amongst other things, allows him to walk on water (handy at the moment), knit fog, and open one of these without the perforated plastic strip breaking halfway round.

Attachment 3800
    I can understand that, but, for the sake of 600 baht every five years, it's still a lot easier to carry a 'credit card' style driving license in your wallet than it is carrying your yellow book with you, and who knows, he might just be tempted to drive over here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sumrit View Post
    ........ and who knows, he might just be tempted to drive over here.
    He's just waiting for Colin244 to work out the premium.
    Attachment 3801

Mahk Mahk Loy THB

colin 244

Well the on-line application doesn't work because my new address does not match my old one. So Ploy went to the local driving license centre yesterday and they wanted me to do the full test so I am not going to bother. I am just back where I was so no problem. I can't face more paperwork at the moment, (although visa renewal next week but that is a breeze).

Even better than the yellow book, I have the blue book, (work permit). That gives me the ability to open new toothbrushes in a single bound.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sumrit View Post
    You will also find that, once you've got a five year license, if you produce it when paying to go in to many government places such as national parks, zoos, etc. you will only be charged the Thai price, not the farang price.
    That's worked for me many times instead of 200thb pay 40thb, It's great plus it also makes you feel one of them, well almost

plus it also makes you feel one of them
    That's why you keep having trouble with your relationships, Sean.

Banned

Mmmm.....but i don't dan...they just have their own problems.

Good idea about this licence thing and I will get one on trip 19/11/2011 but to prepare me where do you go for this deland? I will have my UK Licence with me but do I need anything else other than passport?

Thanks

colin 244

Banned

It's hard work colin,well if you do it alone, where are you staying there patts?

Try this

Quote Originally Posted by deland View Post
    It's hard work colin,well if you do it alone, where are you staying there patts?
    Phitsanulok mate and I will have wifey with me to help.

colin 244

You need an address in Thailand, Colin, and proof you live there.

Banned

try this it's the pattaya guide but same same, you will see that it says that you can't get with tourist visa but many have got one with t visa, i think?
    or just buy one

Will see what happens when I get there (if I ever do) but do I need to be on the Tabien Dan? have house and farm but in wifey's name so can I get on the book as a husband?

colin 244

Banned

I've got a yellow book in my name, i'd say you should be able to get your name in your wifes book. but i'm sure you only have to write an address on the form because i got my first license without the yellow book, but it's been awhile and memory not so good now.