Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default NTL stamp in new passport

Hi All,

Has anyone tried to obtain an NTL stamp into a new Thai passport from the UK embassy in Bangkok (ie. transferrance of the UK ILR from the old Thai passport to an NTL in the new passport while still in Thailand)? If so, any ideas on the processing time?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Nigel.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar

Nigeonsite, you are busy tonight.

Not sure of the processing time for transfer of ILR visa from old passport to new passport, but know this costs in excess of £200.

I shouldn't question you, but you were just enquiring about marriage/civil partnership on another thread. Can I ask if these are related?

And what is NTL?

Old Hand มือเก่า

NTL (no time limit) is an endorsement given within the UK, and which confers neither leave to enter or remain but reflects the fact that there is currently no time limit on the holder's presence in the UK.

If the holder is outside of the UK and wishes to have ILR 'transferred' to a new passport, they should apply for a visa as a returning resident.

It's a lot simpler just to carry the old and the new passports together.

Err, Yes agree Mike. just carry the two as they are not exactly bulky are they?

colin 244

Problems can arise when the owner of the passports manages to lose the expired, ILR stamp-carrying one! My son currently has no evidence of his entitlement to be here which is causing some difficulties with his student finance application. I am very reluctant to cough up the outrageous fees for a stamp in the new passport because a) we are broke, b) the processing time is ridiculous and c) I'm still hoping the original passport turns up. Anyone know if the Home Office would provide a letter or somesuch verifying his status or do they rob people blind for things like that too? We have the original HO letter confirming that ILR has been awarded to his mother but he is not actually named on it.

I can't help thinking that the student finance office should just be able to phone the Home Office for verbal confirmation, given that they are part of the same 'firm' but ........
    Gordie T Geordie

I don't know but the way they work is yum yum more fee's IMHO the whole UKBA thing is a total sham and disgrace to it's own people.

colin 244

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies...

In answer to the question by "the_Link", yes this thread is related to the new passport question I posed on another link, but as the topics were separate, I thought that it was best to raise two questions. Apologies if this was the wrong thing to do.

Given the responses on the other thread, my wife and I will renew her passport while in Thailand next year. The query for this thread was whether we could get the British Embassy in Thailand to then enter an NTL stamp into her new passport before we left Thailand again for the UK, and if so, what the processing time would be. Otherwise, we would have to pay the £650 fee, plus travel plus hotel in order to get it done at a UKBA office in the UK quickly after her return, so that she can then apply for visa's to travel to other countries.

In a year or so, we will then likely apply for her to get citizenship to the UK, and so dual-nationality with a UK passport. Unfortunately, the way things stand at the moment for us, this is not an immediate option.

Once again, thanks all for the replies.

Nige.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by GTG View Post
    ....Anyone know if the Home Office would provide a letter or somesuch verifying his status....
    You could make a subject access request. This would provide a printed statement of the records the UKBA holds. However, to obtain a formal endorsement in the new passport requires a fee to be paid.

Thanks, Mike, that sounds like it would suffice for his immediate needs, though we need to sort things out properly one way or another or he is going to have problems getting back in if he leaves the country!
    Gordie T Geordie