Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Default Advice wanted on visas for wife & stepson

Hi

This is my first post on here so sorry if this topic and answers are covered elsewhere but I was after some advice.

It's a long way off but my wife (who lives in Thailand) and her son (currently 5 yrs old) will hopefully come to live in the UK with me around the start of 2013 so I was just doing some early research to see what we need to do. We're both in our 30s and have been together for about 2 years and I've visited her in Thailand 4 times for a total of about 3 months and she has stayed with me in the UK (last year) for 11 weeks. We had no problems with her tourist visa when she came here.

I believe we'll need to apply for a settlement visa for my wife and one my stepson and I've seen the various forums on here about the kind of documentation required for my wife and don't think we should have any problems. But there's not so much information on what documents I'd need for my stepson. As background, my stepson's dad still makes payments for him and has said he would continue to do so and fully supports our plans. He lives in Denmark so my stepson moving here will mean he is closer to his son. My queries are:

1. Is it best to apply for the 2 visas at the same time?

2. Does it matter if I am living at home with one of my parents when they arrive (as was the case when she came on a tourist visa)? I have enough to buy our own house now (maybe even without a mortgage so I have enough funds to support us both and have a well paid job) but we may decide to stay at my mum's house at first partly to save even more money quickly and also so we can look for our own house together. Her friend just received her settlement visa here and will be living with her husband who also lives at his parents and has substantially less savings than me so I'm sure this will be fine but was after some reassurance really.

3. What are the best things I need to do to ensure my stepson receives the settlement visa as we all feel it's best for the 3 of us to live together so it's imperative they both receive the settlement visa (we plan to live in Thailand eventually but that will only be when we won't need to work there so many years from now)

4. Does it matter if my wife has limited savings when she applies if I have a large amount of savings? I know it was important that she had savings and an income when applying for the tourist visa but as far as I can tell it's not important for the settlement visa as the UK authorities won't need to see a reason why she will leave the UK.

I hope you can supply some useful info. If you need me to supply more info to help you answer these queries please let me know.

Thanks

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find all the answers you require on here.

Firstly to start off, as you have a lot of time before you intend to go for the visa, it may be worth waiting to see what happens in April in relation to the governments recent consultation on family visas. The proposed plans would make some of the current requirements obsolete. For example the level of English requirement will increase, minimum salary requirement etc etc.

Cheers
    Steve

One thing picked up on is your comment:-

"my stepson's dad still makes payments for him and has said he would continue to do so and fully supports our plans. He lives in Denmark so my stepson moving here will mean he is closer to his son."

Does that mean that the dad is a Danish National from birth? If so the son should also be Danish (as well as Thai) which would make him an EU Citizen and therefore he won't need a visa, just a Danish passport :-)

You need to check to see his position and if he has dual nationality, Danish passport etc then your sons arrival in the UK will be far far simpler (and free apart from Air Fare).

If you have or need any more info on this then please post in as much detail as possible.

re 2. If your parent's house has enough room (you will need to prove spare rooms are available), they own/mortgage it and provide evidence, you should provide all details plus a letter from Parents saying they give permission for you all then you'll be okay.

re 4. No need to worry about her savings in Thailand.

Member สมาชิก

Thanks for the early replies guys and the welcome.

Regarding my stepson's dad - he is also a Thai national so my stepson doesn't qualify for an EU passport unfortunately. He relocated to Denmark when he and my wife separated and has since married a Danish national.

My mum owns her house and the mortgage is paid off. It has 4 bedrooms so there is plenty of room and if my wife and stepson receive their visas and live here then there would only be myself, my wife and stepson and my mum so room is not an issue.

Steve - we don't anticipate any problems with the English language requirement. My wife is a tour guide and speaks excellent English, better than a lot of English people! And I've heard the proposals for increasing the minimum wage requirement and it sounds like that issue won't be a problem either.

Therefore I think points 2 and 4 should be fine based on both your responses. I'm sure it's best to apply for both of them at the same time so the main area, about which I don't have a lot of information, is what to include and how to be in a good position for my stepson's visa application. We'll obviously need his passport but aside from the documents we'll use for my wife's application then as far as I can tell then maybe all we'll need is a letter from his dad confirming that he's happy for my stepson to live with me and my wife in the UK?

I'm sure some people will have other useful suggestions about that though...

Member สมาชิก

One other thing - on my stepson's application who is it best to name as the sponsor? Should it be me, as per my wife's application, seeing as my wife is currently in Thailand with her son and will be applying for her spouse visa at the same time as my stepson applies for the settlement visa?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Put the applications in together I did just that and had no problems. you will have to provide evidence that your wife is in sole charge of his upbringing It looks like she is, Even if the father gives him some financial support.
    The letter from the father wont be a bad thing and should help a lot
    It's two fees but best to get it over with.
    Good Luck
    Edit. why are you waiting untill 2013. I could not wait to get my wife over. That is a long time to be apart

Member สมาชิก

Thanks Vulcan. Yes, my wife is in sole charge of her son's upbringing even though his father provides financial support - what evidence would you suggest? My wife and her ex only ever had the Thai part of the wedding, with a ceremony and never registered the marriage so this means sole custody was never granted to either parent as far as I know as they didn't need to divorce, having not been married.

As for waiting until 2013, we're both desperate to be together and have them over here but the wait is due to saving enough money to buy a 3 bedroom house. We could buy a 2 bedroom house now not far from where I live at the moment but with there being 3 of us we'd prefer a 3 bedroom house so we have extra rooms downstairs, extra storage space and a guest bedroom (especially useful for when her friends/family visit). We can save much more carrying on in our current situation which will mean we can hopefully get a 3 bedroom house pretty much straight away when they arrive rather than live in a shoebox (we also plan to have her 2 dogs move here so extra space is needed really). Also we are having the thai wedding and party in December 2012 in Thailand so we felt it would be easier to organise with her still there. Not ideal being apart but delaying it by a year will make a big difference to our situation here when they arrive and ultimately will mean that when we move back to Thailand it will be a couple of years sooner than we otherwise would. Short term for long term gain. And I'll be spending almost 7 weeks there next year split during the year so we'll still see each other during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Thanks Vulcan. Yes, my wife is in sole charge of her son's upbringing even though his father provides financial support - what evidence would you suggest? My wife and her ex only ever had the Thai part of the wedding, with a ceremony and never registered the marriage so this means sole custody was never granted to either parent as far as I know as they didn't need to divorce, having not been married.
    Phil. This is the case with a lot of Thai marriages. Not legally married so no divorce required. However her ex will still be the registered father of the child, and the sole responsibility and custody issue will still have to be resolved, and proofs and documentary evidence obtained.

Dave.